Not at FG yet.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgm038

Reaction score
So Im at the 3 week mark for my first 5 gallon batch.. my LHBS Oktoberfest. Partial mash, with Liquid and dry extract and steeping grains.

Starting Gravity was 1.054, Supposed to be 1.052 +/- .002.

Used Saflager S-23 included with the kit. This was my first time making a "lager". For the 5 days the wort was at 57-59. After 5 days airlock activity died down and 2 days later I transferred it to secondary, per instructions.

Secondary temp has mostly been 55-57...

Now I'm at the 3 week mark and only at 1.019 - 1.018, should be at 1.012 per instructions and LHBS. I took a reading about 4-5 days ago and it was 1.019 - 1.020.

Should I just let it go another week before doing anything? This is my first time actually using a hydrometer (I have done PM, AG beers before and just let em sit 3 weeks) and also first time using a "lager" yeast strain.

Thanks!

EDIT: From what I have just read..May have transferred to secondary too soon?

You definitely transferred to secondary too soon, AND you didn't do a diacetyl rest.

Just because visible airlock activity stops doesn't mean fermentation is done. An airlock is not a magic fermentation detector. As you are now finding out, the last bit of fermentation does not produce enough CO2 pressure to push through the airlock, but there IS still fermentation processes going on. If you want to transfer the SECOND you hit FG, then you need to take a hydrometer reading BEFORE you transfer.

In general, though, just be patient and let any given ale stay in primary for 2-3 weeks. There are no drawbacks, only positives. Once ferementation is complete, bulk conditioning processes start, so the beer is only better off for letting it sit.

Now, for a lager, it's a little different. I always let a lager stay in primary for 10-12 days, then do a diacetyl rest. Basically, before you transfer, you take the lager off temp control for about 18-24 hours. This allows both the last few gravity points to be knocked off, which also allows diacetyl, an off-flavor, to break down. Since the vast majority of active fermentation is complete, the higher temps for that short period of time does not come with a risk of phenols or ester off flavors.

Now, for the circumstance you find yourself in, you can still do a diacetyl rest to get that FG down a bit. Take your carboy off temp control and just let it sit at room temp (assuming your room temp is high 60s/low 70s. DO NOT heat it up artificially. You want the temp to raise slowly over 24 hours, which just the thermal temp of the liquid will make sure the change is slow.

So, 24 hours at room temp, then you want to put the secondary back on temp control. You want to start back around 60, then drop the temp about 3-5 degrees a day until you are as close to 30-32F as possible, then just let it sit and lager at that temp for about 6-8 weeks.

That's pretty much how it's done. Worse case scenario, your beer with have just a slight residual sweetness, which could be pleasant in Oktoberfest, so definitely just get back on track and finish this beer up.

Good luck!

Back