nostalgia cbd5ss homecraft on tap beer growler cooling system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
For my birthday swmbo bought me a nostalgia cbd5ss homecraft on tap beer growler cooler thing.
Without opening, it appears to be a 1 gallon growler that uses co2 cartridges to carb the beer.
I was hoping for a real kegerator, however life doesn’t always work out the way we want.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Do I brew a bunch of 1 gallon batches and use this contraption for awhile?
Do I have the uncomfortable Talk with swmbo about returning this gift?

Any advice is appreciated

IMG_1994.jpg

On a more constructive note...

It sells for$110 on Amazon, and got pretty shotty reviews. Maybe explain to her that this contraption is for bringing carbonated beer home from a brewery and serving, which doesn't help you that much.

Only you know your wife, and how she'll react.

That’s tough, it’s not what you want, but your wife thought it would please you. I might just try to make the best of the situation and continue with my 5 gallon batches, bottle 4 gallons and put 1 in the growler. It would be nice for entertaining at home, taking to a friends house or picnics.

On a more constructive note...

It sells for$110 on Amazon, and got pretty shotty reviews. Maybe explain to her that this contraption is for bringing carbonated beer home from a brewery and serving, which doesn't help you that much.

Only you know your wife, and how she'll react.

I am thinking this is for beer you get at the bottle shop or brewery. I don’t know that it is targeted at the Home brewer.
Is a single CO2 cartridge going to carbonate 1 gallon of beer?

Thanks for info

If you currently have bottle conditioned beer, you don't need to transfer into a growler to serve when you can just pour the bottle into a glass. A 16g cartridge at $2 or whatever each will struggle to serve a gallon of beer so to me it seems a backwards step. Might be handy for someone who buys growler fills and wants them to stay fresh between pours, but not so much for a brewer IMO. I would sincerely thank her for supporting the hobby, then take it back and set the money aside for a proper kegging setup.

I am thinking this is for beer you get at the bottle shop or brewery. I don’t know that it is targeted at the Home brewer.
Is a single CO2 cartridge going to carbonate 1 gallon of beer?

Thanks for info

I honestly don't know, other than a few reviews on Amazon say that it can only push the beer not carbonate it, and that setting it to not foam like crazy was quite hard. I don't have any experience with the product.

We had a nice talk.
I made a rational, detailed case as to why this item was not useful for a home brewer.
She will understood and is working in returning.
You not issue- amazon states that since the item has “gas” (co2 cartridge) they do not take it as a return

Follow up-
Swmbo contacted amazon for a return. They indicated they are unable to accept this item for return shipping due to co2 items, but will refund our $$$ in full!

So looks like I will be using the thing anyway!

Latest posts

Back