Norwegian Christmas Beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger_andy

Reaction score
Hello again, :D

I have a Norwegian Christmas Beer in the FV right now and its soon time for bottling. It required 3 weeks fermenting time and 6 weeks lagering at 0-4 degree's C. My question is this; Is there enough active yeast to condition the Bottles or would it be a good idea to add more yeast to kick start the process again?

There's likely enough viable, working yeast to get the job done. If this was a particularly big beer, though, there's no harm in adding a little bit of dry yeast to your bottling bucket.

Should be no problem at all. Even if the beer looks perfectly clear there's still plenty of yeast floating around. If you want to play it safe, instead of adding some dry yeast you could also add a little bit of the trub to your bottling bucket. Not enough to affect clarity or anything, but just enough to give a little dosage of yeast. Shouldn't affect taste either as long as you don't put a bunch in.

Many thanks for the replies guys, for some reason I never got a notification. :(

Anyway, I have been told I have made a huge mistake. :( I was meant to ferment the beer for three weeks, then bottle and condition for a further six weeks. I did the conditioning in the FV on the Trub/Yeast Cake. So that's nine weeks! :eek:

If it tastes ok what should I do next? I'm bottling the beer so is the above advice still good?

How long will the beer need to condition since it's already kinda conditioned (I guess) I presume I'm just waiting for the carbonation?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Andy- If you spend some time trolling the forum, you'll see that 9 weeks on a yeast cake is no problem at all. There are alot of people that would have counseled you to do just that if you had asked 6 weeks ago. You'll find posts where they've left it in primary for 6 months or longer. The former thought that extended time on the yeast cake will lead to autolysation and off-flavors has been pretty much debunked. So, No problemo. Bottle her, leave at room temperature for 3 weeks or so to carbonate, and she should be ready to go.

Jim, many thanks for the reply! It's a weight off of my mind. :)

I'm away to start bottling right now thanks to your super fast reply.

Jim, many thanks for the reply! It's a weight off of my mind. :)

I'm away to start bottling right now thanks to your super fast reply.

Hey Jim,

I'll come back to you with my recipe but this makes interesting reading.

Like the article states, the only time Norwegians where allowed to brew beer was Christmas time and it had to be the weight of you and the wife and it had to be strong or they made it as strong as they could...

:)

Back