Northy 12 Final Gravity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchLiebeBier

Reaction score
All,
I recently brewed the Northy 12 Quad and my FG finished a bit higher than expected at 1.021. This is still in style, but given a 149 mash temp, I expected it to be a bit lower (so did beersmith). OG was 1.089.

I let it sit for 3 weeks and racked to secondary yesterday. I needed to, because some of the yeast came out from under the bubbler lid and was pretty rank on the side of the vessel.

I plan on sitting in secondary for 4 weeks, then adding CBC-1 for bottling. I have the heavier belgian bottles to put them in.

I figure I have three options for bottling, but I want to avoid bottle gushers. What do you guys think is the best option:

1. Add yeast and bottle as is, with the amount of sugar called for.
2. add yeast and bottle as is, but lower the amount of sugar, expecting CBC-1 to chew through some of the remaining fermentables.
3. Add yeast to the fermenter, wait a couple of days, and then bottle with normal amount of sugar. However, the secondary carboy is pretty full. I don't know how much that might gush it (but I suspect very little).

Thanks.

Have you tried swirling the bucket so the yeast are back in suspension?

Have you tried swirling the bucket so the yeast are back in suspension?

I didn't try it this time. I transferred it to secondary thinking I'd add more yeast. I wanted to get it out of the funky smelling primary (smell was on the outside).

But if CBC will chew through the last 5 points or so of fermentables, then I won't order more trappist yeast. But I don't know if it'll work or not.

Latest posts

Back