Northern brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have to make a recommendation to the new brewers out there. I know there are several options as to where you get your supplies. I have to give props to Northern Brewer for great customer service and quick shipment. I had an issue with some yeast.. before I asked, they offered a full refund .. credit or to ship new yeast. I have ordered from hem several times and everything has been perfect until this yeast ( may be good, too early to call it yet) and they jumped right on fixing the issue even before we are sure there is one with no debate or argument.

I always found them very helpful via the online chat. Very personable and eager to help.
BUT....

Their shipping costs were outrageous. They wanted to charge me $15 shipping on a bottle of StarSan that cost $14.95.
Nope!

Odd.. I just ordered 7 pounds of grain.. a flask and stir bar and a packet of yeast and shiping was $10.57.... order a while back was 65 pounds of grain plus hops and shipping was $22.35.... I like my LHBS but I can get cheaper online after i figure gas...even with shipping.

I agree with brewkinger. If you can get there stuff shipped to you for a reasonable price then definitely go for it. They are professionals. However, I have had at least the same level of service with MoreBeer and they offer free shipping on most things if you do it right.

I like Northern Brewer. I started with them, bought my starter kit and about 7 ingredient kits. I would not hesitate to use them again but, now that they have done away with their flat rate shipping I usually can get stuff cheaper elsewhere. I watch for their specials but have not seen what I need lately.

Their customer service is awesome. I used the online chat on my first brew which I started off a bit hot. They were very helpful.

They go out of their way every summer when newbies get yeast and decide it is dead without making a starter. They just send more. I would bet in 90% of those cases, if a starter was made, as it should be done anyway, The yeast would have been fine.

I always found them very helpful via the online chat. Very personable and eager to help.
BUT....

Their shipping costs were outrageous. They wanted to charge me $15 shipping on a bottle of StarSan that cost $14.95.
Nope!

I've ordered there twice and they are really awesome to deal with. The day after my first order I received a promotional email saying spend X dollars and get Y in gift cards. I told them I ordered the day before and if they would apply this promotion retrospectively. They did!

With regards to the shipping costs - my guess is, considering heavier orders shipped for less, that they had to package it specially due to the hazardous nature of StarSan.

+1 for Northern Brewer, I ordered extra dry yeast and it didn't come with my order, they shipped it out the next day after I contacted them.

Other pros:
It looks like they photograph all their kit beers and have lots of info (and the site looks beautiful)
Tons of reviews on kits
All recipes are posted online
BrewingTV was awesome

Cons:
Not the cheapest

My only real complaint was with the shipping costs.
Your definition of the missing yeast from your shipment is a con IMO.

Good customer service, a pretty and frilly website comes at a price if you know what I mean.
i can get similar quality kits online and pay less for them and less to have them shipped.

I cannot comment about the level of customer service from the other online distributors, mostly because I have had zero problems in almost 2 yrs. That speaks volumes to me.

I found that a little odd as well. Seems like it would be common practice to send you your complete order. I recently had an order from morebeer where some DME had been ripped open during shipping. They said they would replace it and shipped it out the following day. While they were nice and made it as easy as possible, the fact is it was still an inconvenience. I had to call, clean the DME off the rest of the shipment and then wait for the new bag to arrive. It's not bad enough to make me not want to use them again, especially because their prices and shipping rates are pretty much the best around, but I wouldn't give them a glowing positive review for fixing a mistake they made.

Seems like it would be common practice to send you your complete order.

It is a con, however it was fixed with an email sent to them no questions asked. I can see how my wording sounds like I'm a Northern fanboy, it wasn't my intention.

I would recommend them just as much as Morebeer and Midwest. I actually prefer you order from Morebeer, the Concord store is one of my semi LHBS and it keeps the stock rotating. :)

They do have great customer service. I ordered a carboy and some other stuff and my shipping cost was $18. The next day they ran a 24hr $5 flat rate shipping special. I called about it and they gave me store credit. Didn't have to do that, but it was nice.

They do have great customer service. I ordered a carboy and some other stuff and my shipping cost was $18. The next day they ran a 24hr $5 flat rate shipping special. I called about it and they gave me store credit. Didn't have to do that, but it was nice.

I have been told, I don't know personally, that in my F'd up state it is law that if a customer asks the retailer they must honor a sale 10 days in advance and 10 days following a sale.

NB are terrific.

All of their kit recipies being posted in PDF format online for anyone to snag won my buisness.

Customer service is excellent. Shipping isn't the cheapest, oh well.

Again, Brewing TV is great.

Prolly spent 2000$ there this year.

Nice post. I have had nothing but excellent service with Northern Brewer.
The beer world is awesome.
NB is an integral part of my experience of that awesomeness!
:mug:

Latest posts

Back