Northern Brewer Support (or lack of)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You post this in literally every MW/NB thread that complains about shipping times. Twice in this thread. How good their in-person grain room has no bearing on the conversation. It's very much starting to feel like you are with the company. This is unhelpful for people who don't have the option to go to Minnesota to see the in-person grain room at best, but at this point is borderline trolling.

Nope.

Just promoting something that is valuable to me.

On (random) occasion, I can get to those grain rooms - so I have an 'acquisition plan' that allows me to make use of the stores. That plan has allowed me to brew what I want, when I want, for the last five years. Maybe the plan is good enough to survive TEOTWAWKI ;).

Others appear to have similar 'acquisition plans'.

Somewhere, I mentioned that a new topic on how to stock a 'in home' mini-LHBS would be an interesting topic. Ideas on how to smooth out the problems with staffing shortages, shipping delays, hard to find ingredients, ..., ..., ...

So far, I haven't seen the new topic. Maybe I missed it.

Somewhere, I mentioned that a new topic on how to stock a 'in home' mini-LHBS would be an interesting topic. Ideas on how to smooth out the problems with staffing shortages, shipping delays, hard to find ingredients, ..., ..., ...

So far, I haven't seen the new topic. Maybe I missed it.

You must have forgotten to click Post or something.

Nope (link). About a week ago ...

1662803985766.png

I’m done with northernbrewer now. I don’t think I’ve had an order arrive on time or with all my items EVER in the 4 years using you guys. I ordered some grains even just this last Sunday and here we are on the following Monday and the order hasn’t even been processed.
Agree! After waiting two weeks for my order, they shipped it the very day I sent an email cancelling the order. I'm done, finished.

Sure I have experienced delayed shipping from NB, and backorder/out stock issues, but overall I am not so disappointed with them to quit ordering. I have had solid customer service and support for any questions regarding product selection and technical brewing.

Sure I have experienced delayed shipping from NB, and backorder/out stock issues, but overall I am not so disappointed with them to quit ordering. I have had solid customer service and support for any questions regarding product selection and technical brewing.

Sounds like you're a glutton for punishment or you haven't suffered the same two week delays as all the other posters. I haven't bought from them in 10 years but the most egregious thing is the lack of transparency about their delays in the "pre order" process. Sure, they do things to appease disappointed customers after the fact, but taking the order under the reasonable presumption that it would be processed quickly is a betrayal of trust. Put up a notice that they are running a week or two behind. I know... the order volume will drop and wow, how about that, they can actually expedite the orders quickly again.

Two weeks isn't that big of deal in my life. That might be different if I was diagnosed with a terminal disease and 2 weeks left to live, but maybe not.

Two weeks isn't that big of deal in my life. That might be different if I was diagnosed with a terminal disease and 2 weeks left to live, but maybe not.
I don't think it's a big deal either. What is a big deal is that when I order it tells me it'll be here it two days and then it's 2-3 weeks with a single "I'm sorry" email. That's the part that's unacceptable IMO.

The silver lining is that it led me to my LHBS and I can tell the guy is starting to recognize me as one of his regulars. I love being able to support that guy even if he doesn't have as good of variety in yeast, grain, and hops.

I don't think it's a big deal either. What is a big deal is that when I order it tells me it'll be here it two days and then it's 2-3 weeks with a single "I'm sorry" email. That's the part that's unacceptable IMO.

The silver lining is that it led me to my LHBS and I can tell the guy is starting to recognize me as one of his regulars. I love being able to support that guy even if he doesn't have as good of variety in yeast, grain, and hops.
If he is a good businessman, he will remember the things you ask for that he doesn't carry, and if he hears them asked for enough, take corrective action.

Back