Northern Brewer Kit Instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerE

Reaction score
Need to get my mind off my first batch that is less than a week in bottles, so I've been looking at the kits on Northern Brewer for something to try as my second batch (and to give specialty grains a whirl) and was wondering about their instructions. http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/SierraMadre.pdf

Pretty much all of them are still advocating racking to a secondary:
"1–2 weeks primary, 2–4 weeks secondary,1–2 weeks bottle conditioning"

After reading this site for about a month, it seems that this would no longer be the 'best' way? (seems like most are going to 3wk primary then bottle, unless dry hopping)

Thoughts?

Also, if I wanted to only do a partial/late add, would I add the 1lb DME and 1.5lbs of the LME at boil, then add the rest of the LME later? (I think it was Yooper who said to only add about a pound of extract per gallon in a partial boil)

Thanks!

Most sites still promote secondary due to the fact that it helps sell carboys, I think most here would agree that it is not necessary. You have the right idea for the late LME addition.

If all you have is a plastic bucket for primary would you still recommend letting it sit in there for 3 or 4 weeks?

What about if I wanted to dry hop? Just chuck them in the primary after a week or so (when main ferm has slowed?)

Back