northern brewer dark cherry stout extract really low o.g.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elixir

Reaction score
Brewed the northern brewer bc extract kit today and my of was only 1.036. I am pretty sure I did everything right this kit uses less LME than others and I'm very dissatisfied. I checked this 1 hour after I pitched the yeast because I forgot to do it initially. The o.g. was checked with a refractometer so I know its accurate. I contacted nb but I doubt they care

With extract batches it is VERY rare to have an OG very different from the expected OG. The only real way to do that is to either use the wrong amount of extract or the wrong amount of water. Basically, a known amount of extract dissolved in a known amount of water will yield you a known OG.

So, if you did everything correctly, your real OG is probably spot on the expected OG and your measured OG is inaccurate. I am going to assume you boiled this on your stove with 3ish gallons of water and then topped off the fermenter with another 2ish gallons. If so, you probably did not sufficiently mix the more dense wort with the less dense fresh water - it is insanely difficult to get it well mixed, no matter how much much you stir/shake it. Since your sample came off the top (where the less dense fresh water was sitting), your reading came out low. Happens ALL the time with extract batches.

Bottom line = you're fine (unless my assumptions are way off base) :mug:

This is possible. But I did shake the hell out of the fermentor when I added my top off water. But it may just be difficult to mix.

elixir said:
This is possible. But I did shake the hell out of the fermentor when I added my top off water. But it may just be difficult to mix.

Yup...extremely difficult to mix...

Latest posts

Back