Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJBanks

Reaction score
This past Sunday (8/9/15) I made my first ever batch of Caribou Slobber. I added oxygen using a stone and pitched the Danstar Windsor Ale yeast. Within 8 hours there were sings of fermentation. Within 18 hours I had 3-4 bubbles per second in the airlock and a thick 2 - 2 1/2 inch krausen. This morning when I was checking the temp inside the chamber there was no sings of activity in the airlock and the krausen was almost all gone except for a thin layer.

Curious I took a gravity reading and it was 1.022. Started at 1.048. Obviously it still has some time to go, just curious if anyone else has this experience with this yeast.

What was the temperature? I have not used that yeast but, though it does seem fast your gravity reading shows that it is fermenting. If fermentation temperatures are warm, fermentation proceeds more quickly.

Pitched the yeast at 68 and got it down to 64 by this morning.

According to the Danstar web site 64 F is at the very bottom of their recommended temp range. I think I'd let it warm back up to maybe 68 F and let it finish.

One of my first kits...loved it...need to make it again. One of these days I will actually start taking notes!

I have made 2 slobber extract kits, 1 all grain and 1 all grain copy sourcing grains at LHBS... each time the krausen has all but disappeared after initial fermentation spike and just a thin layer temained on top. I think I have used different yeasts almost every time. A few dry yeasts, a wyeast and a WLP.

For some reason I seem to have problems with my beers fermenting down really low. My last slobber finished at 1.005 or 1.006 if I recall... not at home to look at notes.

I've had similar experiences with Windsor yeast. Seems that it gets cranked up quickly, chews like hell for a day, then slows down a lot. You definitely should warm it up a bit, and maybe give it a swirl. Don't expect it to get down real low though. It is not a high attenuating strain. expect somewhere in the 1.014-1.016 range.

This one has been on my list for a long time....
I have yet to do it. When I do I will use the online recipe and procure my own ingredients. Kits are too expensive.....

Worth it. I did just that and turned out WAY better than the extract versions I made when I just started brewing. It is one of my fav brews and I have a new recipe i made 2 days ago thats a tweaked version with UK base malts and some biscuit but hoppier and higher abv than english brown so still more american. We will see....

Worth it. I did just that and turned out WAY better than the extract versions I made when I just started brewing. It is one of my fav brews and I have a new recipe i made 2 days ago thats a tweaked version with UK base malts and some biscuit but hoppier and higher abv than english brown so still more american. We will see....

I often do what you seem to be doing.. I take something proven or popular then make changes that seem to appeal to me. I have done quite a few no and have not been disappointed.

The next is a pale ale where I am not going to look at any recipes at all.
It is going to be completely from scratch.. I usually at least take a recipe for inspiration..

Dude, you probably just put those yeasties to sleep by chilling.
Post Krausen is when you want to raise the temp a few degrees. Swirl it up and raise the temp back. You avoided off flavors by starting cool so now get those guys back to work

Dude, you probably just put those yeasties to sleep by chilling.
Post Krausen is when you want to raise the temp a few degrees. Swirl it up and raise the temp back. You avoided off flavors by starting cool so now get those guys back to work.

Back