Northern Brew Irish red....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROUNDS

Reaction score
My brother in law had two Northern Brewer Extract kits of Irish Red. we brewed one, and it really didnt taste very good. Just kind of plain for our liking. He gave me the other complete kit and said to do whatever I wanted with it. not to waste anything, I was thinking of using the ingredients to make another beer style? Trouble is, I dont know much about what I can do with this kit..
I have a great fairly local HBS, but wanted to ask on HBT for any suggestions. I prefer American ales, IPA's, Pale ale etc. Typically something with way more hops than listed below. I can add or completely change the specialty grains rather easily, any thoughts on how to make a red IPA or whatever out of what i have below???? thanks

SPECIALTY GRAIN
-- 0.5 lbs Belgian Cara 8
-- 0.25 lbs Briess Special Roast
-- 0.125 lbs Belgian Biscuit
-- 0.125 lbs English Chocolate Malt
FERMENTABLES
-- 6 lbs Gold Malt syrup
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
-- 1 oz Willamette (60 min)
-- 1 oz US Goldings (30 min)
---------------------------------------
also have some Citra, Fuggle and Cascade hops laying around, about an ounce of each.

I am not nearly as experienced as some other posters here so I don't have all of the answers, but I have had a similar situation in the past year and my beer turned out to be one of my best beers to date with just a tweak of the hops schedule plus an additional ounce. I think all you need to do is re-arrange your hops and likely add an ounce or two towards the end of the boil. You'd want to research which of the additional hops that you have laying around pair best with each other.

I don't know what yeast you used but I would consider a yeast change also. Maybe a S-o5 will bring the flavors your looking for?:)

Yeah I'll probably use this as a lesson and actually learn more about the whole hop schedule thing. I've got a couple super san diego wp090? strains washed waiting to go I'll probably use.

I am drinking the Irish Red I kegged up last Saturday, and I like it. I may add a little more hops next time or a little extra LME to up the ABV, though.

I was disappointed in the NB Irish Red also. I figured it was me so did it again with very similar results. I've since moved to all grain but remember the beer had a really thin body and definitely not red. I chalked it up to a learning experience.

They made it right though. I called NB and spoke to one of the guys. He gave me a coupon towards my next purchase. Kudos to NB on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't remember the color, but I brewed this kit as my first. I fermented a little warm the first day. Even so, I really liked the beer.

To make it more of an American ale. You could add some late additions of your Citra and/or Cascade hops and use an American yeast.

Use a lot of hops if you want to make it an IPA. You will have to calculate the IBU's depending on what hops you use and when you add them.

If it doesn't have roasted barley, it's not going to be a good Irish red. Add 3-4 oz roasted barley to the kit. It will give you bitterness and complexity.

Irish red is malt forward though, not overly hopped.

I bought an ale yeast today. Went to the HBS to figure out something for this red and came home with a blind pig AG recipe instead ...go figure
Going to do something with the hops I think.

Back