New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yummy! I love this cold crash, warm up, dry hop, cold crash method!! Thanks!

uc

The yeast are modified to produce the terpenes, they aren’t added. Not sure you misunderstood or misspoke.

terpenes can be good on their own when added but best with real hops. Then gmo yeast will produce them but the results are a bit so-so.

its the same problem as blending terpenes with hops. You’re adding tons of one thing vs the various ones coming naturally. There’s interaction that doesn’t necessarily happen when basically one terpene is on the menu. It needs to mimic the natural blend to a degree. It can be done but it’s not as easy as it sounds or seems at first take.

The yeast are modified to produce the terpenes, they aren’t added. Not sure you misunderstood or misspoke.

terpenes can be good on their own when added but best with real hops. Then gmo yeast will produce them but the results are a bit so-so.

its the same problem as blending terpenes with hops. You’re adding tons of one thing vs the various ones coming naturally. There’s interaction that doesn’t necessarily happen when basically one terpene is on the menu. It needs to mimic the natural blend to a degree. It can be done but it’s not as easy as it sounds or seems at first take.
Misspoke...thank you for pointing that out. What I was thinking was brewing a simple Citra/Mosaic NEIPA as I normally would, not changing anything about it..then adding approximately .3ml of whatever strain I choose to the serving keg. Something fruity with some earthy undertones. If it comes out good I could see keeping a simple base beer such as said Citra/mosaic NEIPA, and then experimenting with different combos and ratios of all of the available blends available from Floraplex. To be clear I’m only thinking about using their pre-made blends that accurately represent high quality cannabis strains. (They contain zero thc or cbd)

The beer would still be 100% normal in every way, just adding in the Terpenes at the end.

EDIT: I’m going to do this and will report back with results. May be a few weeks though.

Last edited:
Just brewed this for the first time. It's been fermenting for 9 days using 1272 yeast at 68F. I dry hopped it tonight and figured it would be done fermenting but it's still at 1.028.

OG 1.068
Estimated FG 1.019

Does 1272 tend to take a little longer? Or do you think it's stuck?

The sample tasted amazing btw! Pineapple juice with still enough bitterness to let you know it's beer. I went with 4oz Citra and 2oz Galaxy at whirlpool and dry hop. And .5oz warrior at 60min.

I was topping off the hydraulic fluid in my log splitter and I SWEAR I got a strong character of dank hops in the aroma (among other less pleasant aromas of course.) I wonder if the "oil" or "diesel" character of some hops is related to some petroleum compounds in the fluid? Crazy!

The most famous example of that is mature riesling wine, where "petrol" (gasoline) is a classic tasting note linked to 1,1,6-trimethyl-1,2-dihydronaphthalene (TDN). See eg this : https://www.awri.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Sept-Oct-2012-AWRI-Report.pdf and this for more on the pathways (there's two, via actinidol and vitaspirane which ultimately derive from tetraterpenes like lutein and beta-carotene) : https://waterhouse.ucdavis.edu/whats-in-wine/norisoprenoids and https://www.journals.ac.za/index.php/sajev/article/download/1455/659

I'm looking to dry hop with Nelson and Citra, anyone brewed with Nelson recently? I am wondering if I should go 1:1 or go heavier on the Nelson?

Use Nelson all the time. How's the stuff you have smell? Heavy on the diesel? Light on the Diesel?

Go heavy on the Nelson if you like Nelson

Go heavy on the Citra if you like Citra

Use Nelson all the time. How's the stuff you have smell? Heavy on the diesel? Light on the Diesel?

Go heavy on the Nelson if you like Nelson

Go heavy on the Citra if you like Citra

Its still vacuum sealed in the bag from YVH, I guess I'll see when it is time to dry hop. I like to use up open hops hot side and try to crack fresh bags right before dry hop if possible.

Just brewed this for the first time. It's been fermenting for 9 days using 1272 yeast at 68F. I dry hopped it tonight and figured it would be done fermenting but it's still at 1.028.

OG 1.068
Estimated FG 1.019

Does 1272 tend to take a little longer? Or do you think it's stuck?

The sample tasted amazing btw! Pineapple juice with still enough bitterness to let you know it's beer. I went with 4oz Citra and 2oz Galaxy at whirlpool and dry hop. And .5oz warrior at 60min.

In my experience 1272 definitely takes longer than the other strains often used with NEIPAs. Last beer I brewed I transferred to spund in the keg with dry hops at day 6, and it wasn't really at terminal until day 11. What temp do you have it at currently? As with any ale yeast I like to ramp up the temp at the end of fermentation to ensure the yeast finishes out properly.

ah, got it. i thought you were referring to using the GMO yeast as well as the terpenes. another thing to look into is how they're prepared. some are in more of a natural state and fairly oily/hydrophobic, but others have been emulsified and are water soluble. will affect when/where you can add them.

have you looked into pricing? some of them can be pretty expensive.

ah, got it. i thought you were referring to using the GMO yeast as well as the terpenes. another thing to look into is how they're prepared. some are in more of a natural state and fairly oily/hydrophobic, but others have been emulsified and are water soluble. will affect when/where you can add them.

have you looked into pricing? some of them can be pretty expensive.

This is what I’ve been looking at:
https://www.buyterpenesonline.com/knowledge-center/terpenes-and-beer/
Download their brewing with Terpenes document.

And:
https://www.buyterpenesonline.com/terpenes/terpene-blends/

$20 for 2 ml and the recommended amount amount I’ve seen is .1-.5 ml per 5 gallon keg. Pretty cheap.

They seem to have good reviews.

ha. i have no idea. in terms of ease of use the water based ones are obviously superior. but no idea if that affects aromas/flavors or potency or anything like that. the ones im familiar with are either straight terps like linalool, geraniol, etc or the more expensive ones which are a blend of terps to recreate a hop variety like citra, simcoe, mosiac, etc.

looking back i now realize you were going for a dank/weed input. i was wondering why all the varieties on the website had super weird names......

DE9ED90D-FB75-4D88-A7DD-876D3FF99D13.png
Yeah, the idea/hope is that because hops and cannabis are so similar I can find some really amazing flavor and aroma combinations. Using the pre-made strains seems easier than trying to use individual terpenes. We’ll see how it goes.

View attachment 676981 Yeah, the idea/hope is that because hops and cannabis are so similar I can find some really amazing flavor and aroma combinations. Using the pre-made strains seems easier than trying to use individual terpenes. We’ll see how it goes.
The only thing I can imagine being a problem is getting it to mix properly. On a large scale these sort of oils are recommended to be infused inline so during a transfer to make them mix as best as possible.

The times I've tried to put them (oils from glacier hop ranch) into kegs i just got a really strong chemical oily flavor from them at first poor (using floating system) and then it dissappeared. Like the oils just floated at the top.

Looks like a super cool experiment! Please keep us updated if you decide to test them out.
Cheers

The only thing I can imagine being a problem is getting it to mix properly. On a large scale these sort of oils are recommended to be infused inline so during a transfer to make them mix as best as possible.

The times I've tried to put them (oils from glacier hop ranch) into kegs i just got a really strong chemical oily flavor from them at first poor (using floating system) and then it dissappeared. Like the oils just floated at the top.

Looks like a super cool experiment! Please keep us updated if you decide to test them out.
Cheers
My tentative plan is this:
I use the fermentation co2 to purge my serving keg. I’m planning to put about .3ml of the terpene solution, pre mixed with about 2ml of everclear, into the bottom of the serving keg before sealing it up. (They recommend solution between 1:5 and 1:9 of terpene to carrier, so this would be about 1:7) Then, when I transfer from the fermenter into the keg the beer coming in will hopefully help to mix it up. Also, when I carb the keg, I get it to my desired temperature and set the regulator to my desired psi..usually around 12. I then shake and roll the keg until no more bubbles can be heard. I’ve been carbing kegs with this method for a while with good success. This process should help to further mix the solution as well. I’m going to email them as well to see if they have any suggestions regarding this process. Fingers crossed...

Did a 2.5 gallon batch on Monday and pitched with Gigayeast Vermont IPA. Didn’t see any activity til Wednesday afternoon. Longest two days of my life

Did a 2.5 gallon batch on Monday and pitched with Gigayeast Vermont IPA. Didn’t see any activity til Wednesday afternoon. Longest two days of my life
Yeah that’s uncomfortably long especially with a small batch. What was the date on your yeast?

A lot of people have reported having issues with the Gigayeast version. Which is odd cause if you ask a lot of professionals they’d say the Gigayeast is the best version. Prolly has something to do with all the hands it passes through on the Homebrew side.

Been using VT Ale a bunch since last fall. Pretty much 80% of the time with some random stuff mixed in. I was culturing from some cans as well as trying the Giga and Yeast Bay versions. Personally I’ve found the Yeast Bay version to be the best. If floccs way better and is a bit quicker.

Just read this interesting article from Beer and Brewing. I might consider racking a smaller beer onto some spent dry hops in my serving kegs. typically I'm 4-6 oz for my second dry hop in the serving keg, and like the article has mentioned I'm sure we've all noticed the killer aroma during cleanups. Anyone try something similar before?

https://beerandbrewing.com/elements...T&utm_content=Recycling+Hops+in+the+Brewhouse

Yeah but I think those reused hops could potentially provide a different character to the beer. I’ve contemplated it but it hasn’t really worked it’s way into the rotation. I might try dumping most of the hops out of the fermenter and saving the last bit and putting a beer on top. We’ll see.

So Im thinking of revisiting a citra/nelson/galaxy NEIPA I brewed a little while ago. I used 1:1:1 ratios throughout and warrior for bittering charge. But with the oil content of the galaxy being so high (Im assuming it was because of this) in comparison to citra and nelson, the galaxy seemed to dominate and I didn't get the other hops to bring what they have to the table as much. Ive previously brewed 1:1:1 with citra/mosaic/galaxy and didn't seem to have this issue though. So what ratios has anyone who's used this hop combo use on both hot side and cold side?

Yeah but I think those reused hops could potentially provide a different character to the beer. I’ve contemplated it but it hasn’t really worked it’s way into the rotation. I might try dumping most of the hops out of the fermenter and saving the last bit and putting a beer on top. We’ll see.
Yeah I’d definitely have to plan it pretty nicely...or just keep the empty keg cold. I do think it would be different but I’m not opposed to trying a “light” pale ale or blonde to see what it might do. Even if 6oz became 2-3 of effective dry hop I think it might be interesting. I would just rack it into the nicely purged keg (from serving) similar to reusing a keg for similar styles(granted I have not done this)

So Im thinking of revisiting a citra/nelson/galaxy NEIPA I brewed a little while ago. I used 1:1:1 ratios throughout and warrior for bittering charge. But with the oil content of the galaxy being so high (Im assuming it was because of this) in comparison to citra and nelson, the galaxy seemed to dominate and I didn't get the other hops to bring what they have to the table as much. Ive previously brewed 1:1:1 with citra/mosaic/galaxy and didn't seem to have this issue though. So what ratios has anyone who's used this hop combo use on both hot side and cold side?

I just kegged a 2:1:1 of Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy. It is still pretty green, but the Citra is pretty dominate (kind of obvious...). So, I think the 1:1:1 of each would be more balanced.

I just kegged a 2:1:1 of Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy. It is still pretty green, but the Citra is pretty dominate (kind of obvious...). So, I think the 1:1:1 of each would be more balanced.
I think it’s too early to make a call on the beer yet. Idk if anyone else experiences this but both mosaic and Galaxy take a little bit of conditioning time to start showing their true characteristics. Especially mosaic. I did a single hop mosaic beer last year. For the first two weeks it was very dank and earth forward with fruit on the back ends. After 4 weeks that beer showcased all those beautiful blueberry/mango notes with a great supporting notes of dank/earth.

I think it’s too early to make a call on the beer yet. Idk if anyone else experiences this but both mosaic and Galaxy take a little bit of conditioning time to start showing their true characteristics. Especially mosaic. I did a single hop mosaic beer last year. For the first two weeks it was very dank and earth forward with fruit on the back ends. After 4 weeks that beer showcased all those beautiful blueberry/mango notes with a great supporting notes of dank/earth.

Yeah, possibly. I am getting a lot of lemon/lime, orange right now. Will update.

Yeah, possibly. I am getting a lot of lemon/lime, orange right now. Will update.
Mosaic is super pungent imho. It easily dominates. More so then galaxy. Citra is a very versatile hop that blends well as a base.

so im curious to know if anybody is having success using a natural carbonation process on hazy type beers? or really any hop-heavy type beers i guess....

i know some folks will dry hop with points remaining, but i've always preferred to drop the yeast before i hop, so not convinced i wanna go down that route. im thinking more along the lines of adding spiesse or just priming sugar and a carbing yeast like cbc or f2 into the keg. now, i always come back to the thought that the yeast will pull out hop oils, but maybe the conditioning yeasts arent as likely to do that vs regular yeasts?

anybody tried this?

so im curious to know if anybody is having success using a natural carbonation process on hazy type beers? or really any hop-heavy type beers i guess....

i know some folks will dry hop with points remaining, but i've always preferred to drop the yeast before i hop, so not convinced i wanna go down that route. im thinking more along the lines of adding spiesse or just priming sugar and a carbing yeast like cbc or f2 into the keg. now, i always come back to the thought that the yeast will pull out hop oils, but maybe the conditioning yeasts arent as likely to do that vs regular yeasts?

anybody tried this?
Can you use some krausening from another beer in a fv?

anybody tried this?

I naturally carb all of my highly hopped beers in the keg to help prevent oxidation. Sometimes I use the primary yeast (with or without a soft crash), sometimes I’ll soft crash and add CBC-1 with priming sugar.

I haven’t noticed much/if any detriment to hop aroma but have seen vastly improved shelf life. You’re carbonating in a sealed vessel, so aren’t scrubbing aroma through the airlock.

You just need to be aware of the additional attenuation from hop creep after dry hopping. A spunding valve will help a lot to get the carbonation level right, but, you don’t want to let much blow off through the valve to preserve as much of that aroma as possible. It’s a balancing act finding the right amount of priming sugar.

Can you use some krausening from another beer in a fv?
theoretically, but at home i rarely have more than one batch going at a time. i'd think saving some wort from the kettle might work, although i'd be diluting my nice dry hopped beer with wort that only got WP hops. whereas sugar would take up less volume in the keg as well as not "dilute" the hop charge. havent actually done this yet, so its all theoretical.

I naturally carb all of my highly hopped beers in the keg to help prevent oxidation. Sometimes I use the primary yeast (with or without a soft crash), sometimes I’ll soft crash and add CBC-1 with priming sugar.

I haven’t noticed much/if any detriment to hop aroma but have seen vastly improved shelf life. You’re carbonating in a sealed vessel, so aren’t scrubbing aroma through the airlock.

You just need to be aware of the additional attenuation from hop creep after dry hopping. A spunding valve will help a lot to get the carbonation level right, but, you don’t want to let much blow off through the valve to preserve as much of that aroma as possible. It’s a balancing act finding the right amount of priming sugar.
that's why i was thinking to definitely use cbc/f2. if i rehydrate them before dumping in they'd be healthy and awake and looking for simple sugars, and i'd bet they'd be able to metabolize them without stalling out and leaving diacetyl since you'd also add dextrose.

so when you say the priming sugar is tricky to dial in, is that just in general for keg usage, or specifically in cases of hop creep?

that's why i was thinking to definitely use cbc/f2. they'd be healthy and awake and looking for simple sugars, and i'd bet they'd be able to metabolize them without stalling out and leaving diacetyl. especially if you added priming sugar.

so when you say the priming sugar is tricky to dial in, is that just in general, or specifically in cases of hop creep?

That is specifically when dealing with hop creep.
theoretically, but at home i rarely have more than one batch going at a time. i'd think saving some wort from the kettle might work, although i'd be diluting my nice dry hopped beer with wort that only got WP hops. whereas sugar would take up less volume in the keg as well as not "dilute" the hop charge. havent actually done this yet, so its all theoretical.

that's why i was thinking to definitely use cbc/f2. if i rehydrate them before dumping in they'd be healthy and awake and looking for simple sugars, and i'd bet they'd be able to metabolize them without stalling out and leaving diacetyl since you'd also add dextrose.

so when you say the priming sugar is tricky to dial in, is that just in general for keg usage, or specifically in cases of hop creep?

I’m saying priming sugar is hard to dial in with hop creep when using the primary strain. I haven’t used CBC1 enough to see how it responds after a soft crash dry hop. The limited amount I’ve used it, diacetyl wasn’t an issue and hop creep didn’t seem to affect the carbonation level too much. The times I’ve naturally carbed with the primary strain after a soft crash & dry hop I’ve had some mild malt to significantly over carbed beer.

Again, once you know how to adjust for it, it’s manageable. I just don’t usually brew NEIPA’s enough to dial that in.

That is specifically when dealing with hop creep.

I’m saying priming sugar is hard to dial in with hop creep when using the primary strain. I haven’t used CBC1 enough to see how it responds after a soft crash dry hop. The limited amount I’ve used it, diacetyl wasn’t an issue and hop creep didn’t seem to affect the carbonation level too much. The times I’ve naturally carbed with the primary strain after a soft crash & dry hop I’ve had some mild malt to significantly over carbed beer.

Again, once you know how to adjust for it, it’s manageable. I just don’t usually brew NEIPA’s enough to dial that in.
gotcha. i think i'll go ahead and try it out with the cbc/f2 and dextrose. did you just use a regular priming calculator like for bottling?

Back