New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a batch on tap that is really good. 1418 recipe. 1318 yeast. Hops =
2 x 6 ounce addtion.

1x 6 ounces in kettle after flame out.
1x6 ounce addition at day two of fermentation

3:Citra
1: Centennial
1: Simcoe
1: Mosaic

no keg hop?

Did you notice a loss of aroma/hop flavor?

Interesting... So you are still adding the same amount of dry hops but just in one dosage?

That certainly makes things easier from a low O2 perspective. Although this last round I just kegged I think I have a process that worked pretty well.

I recently bought two clear beer draft systems as I am sick of dealing with clogged dip tubes/poppets.

Prior to brew day, I installed the clearbeer and used schematix's technique to water purge the keg. To get the last bit of water out I had to pop the lid and (under positive pressure) turn it upside down and shake out the water. Since I had the lid off and positive pressure already, I added my keg dry hops to the keg (right side up of course).

A few hours after pitching my yeast, I connected a jumper between my fermenter gas post and the keg liquid post as well as a tube from gas in on keg to star San to airlock it. This allows my fermentation off-gassing to continue to purge The Keg while also keeping my keg hops in a pure CO2 environment until I'm ready to rack on to them. Ideally when I do rack there's little to no oxygen left in the keg.

Lastly, since I'm using the clear beer draft system, I don't care about the sediment from The Keg hops. The best $50 I've spent so far in Homebrewing.

Lastly, since I'm using the clear beer draft system, I don't care about the sediment from The Keg hops. The best $50 I've spent so far in Homebrewing.

Amen. Other than ferm temp control and switching to kegging, the CBDS has made the biggest difference for me. And if you are doing keg dry hopping, it's a no brainer. Just toss the hops in. No need to mess with a bag or SS mesh tube.

2 x 6 ounce addtion.

This hop combo is really intriguing to me. I believe all of these hops (plus Columbus and Apollo) are in one of my favorite IPAs, Sticky Hands, which is kind of in that realm between NEIPA and West Coast IPA. Similar to Heady and exactly what I've been trying to replicate.

I brewed this last weekend with Citra, Mosaic and El Dorado (1:1:1). Curious to see what the El Dorado offers, but based on the aroma out of the bag I'm afraid it might be overwhelmed by the Citra and Mosaic.

I'll be brewing this again this weekend with Simcoe, Azacca, Motueka and Columbus (2:2:2:1). These are the hops used in Great Notion's Overripe, which I really enjoyed.

I have used el dorado. I tried it once on its own in a NE IPA. I was not crazy about it on its own, had a bit of watermelon, bubble gum aroma. Not citrusy or fruity. I ended up adding in some mosaic and citra when it was in the keg and they really helped round it out. I think your combo will be good. I am using Mosaic/Ekuanot/El dorado 2:1:1 in the dry hop for my current brew.

+1 on El Dorado having an overwhelming bubble gum flavor. Almost has a plastic flavor to it, just like that cheap hard gum you get from the quarter machines.

Would hopping with 100% Citra work to give a NEIPA a distinct fruitiness? Have any of you ever tried this, and if so, how well did you like it?

Would hopping with 100% Citra work to give a NEIPA a distinct fruitiness? Have any of you ever tried this, and if so, how well did you like it?

Other than bittering charge (CTZ), Sip of Sunshine is said to be 100% Citra. I brewed a clone a couple years ago using Conan that come out quite fruity. I did not use many of the methods discussed in this thread (e.g. I added hops throughout the boil, waited until secondary to dry hop, etc.), so was more of a hybrid between NE and WC IPA

If you google "Sip of Sunshine clone", you will find the recipe to get a sense of grain/hops used

I did 75% Citra/25% Mosaic. It was split between 3 yeasts; OYL-057, 1318, S04. The OYL-057 stood out above the other two as being very tropical so that one was entered in a contest at a local brewery. I contacted the judge to thank him for the feedback and provided him the recipe. Him and one of the brewers who tasted the beer both thought it had NZ hops so he was surprised to see that the tropical fruitiness came from the yeast. Omega describes it as overripe Mango. Just be aware that strain will not give you the same haze as 1318.

I brewed this last weekend with Citra, Mosaic and El Dorado (1:1:1). Curious to see what the El Dorado offers, but based on the aroma out of the bag I'm afraid it might be overwhelmed by the Citra and Mosaic.

I'll be brewing this again this weekend with Simcoe, Azacca, Motueka and Columbus (2:2:2:1). These are the hops used in Great Notion's Overripe, which I really enjoyed.

Juicy Bits from Weldwerks is 1:1:1 Citra/Mosaic/El Dorado, if you've ever tried that. It's pretty solid.

I did 75% Citra/25% Mosaic. It was split between 3 yeasts; OYL-057, 1318, S04. The OYL-057 stood out above the other two as being very tropical so that one was entered in a contest at a local brewery. I contacted the judge to thank him for the feedback and provided him the recipe. Him and one of the brewers who tasted the beer both thought it had NZ hops so he was surprised to see that the tropical fruitiness came from the yeast. Omega describes it as overripe Mango. Just be aware that strain will not give you the same haze as 1318.

Would you be able to provide the hopping schedule for this?

Would you be able to provide the hopping schedule for this?

Sure thing, I'll just post the whole recipe here. Looking back over it, it's not exactly 75/25 but very Citra forward.

Batch Size: 15 Gallons
Yeast: Split 3 ways - OYL-057, 1318, S04
Water: 152 Ca, 134 So, 173 Cl
Mash: 60 min @ 157
Boil: 60 min
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.019
ABV: 6.5%

32 lbs Pearl Malt
4 lbs Flaked Oats
3 lbs Munich 10L
3 lbs Flaked Wheat

1 oz Apollo - FWH
3 oz Citra/1 oz Mosaic - 10 min
4 oz Citra/2oz Mosaic - 0 min
5 oz Citra/3 oz Mosaic - 30 minute whirlpool at 160

Dry Hop is per 5 gallons
Day 4 - 3 oz Citra/1 oz Mosaic
Day 7 - 3 oz Citra/1 oz Mosaic

Sure thing, I'll just post the whole recipe here. Looking back over it, it's not exactly 75/25 but very Citra forward.

Batch Size: 15 Gallons

Yeast: Split 3 ways - OYL-057, 1318, S04

Water: 152 Ca, 134 So, 173 Cl

Mash: 60 min @ 157

Boil: 60 min

OG: 1.068

FG: 1.019

ABV: 6.5%

32 lbs Pearl Malt

4 lbs Flaked Oats

3 lbs Munich 10L

3 lbs Flaked Wheat

1 oz Apollo - FWH

3 oz Citra/1 oz Mosaic - 10 min

4 oz Citra/2oz Mosaic - 0 min

5 oz Citra/3 oz Mosaic - 30 minute whirlpool at 160

Dry Hop is per 5 gallons

Day 4 - 3 oz Citra/1 oz Mosaic

Day 7 - 3 oz Citra/1 oz Mosaic

Those hop additions look like a 5 gallon batch not 15gallons?

Seriously? You're using 43 oz for a 5 gallon batch? As noted, the dry hop additions ARE per 5 gallons since it was split 3 ways.

Sorry I missed the forward slash and other hop after. But still using about 3/4 of what they are. If this is from the brewer, they're probably getting a lot better utilization.

Sorry I missed the forward slash and other hop after. But still using about 3/4 of what they are. If this is from the brewer, they're probably getting a lot better utilization.

I'm not sure what you mean by "if this is from the brewer".

FWIW, this beer scored a 40, won its category and went on to win BOS which includes a brew session at Urban Chestnut. It was going to be on their new pilot system but that's not quite operational yet so it looks like we will be doing a 15-20 BBL batch which will be served in their tasting room hopefully in time for the holidays.

FWIW, this beer scored a 40, won its category and went on to win BOS which includes a brew session at Urban Chestnut. It was going to be on their new pilot system but that's not quite operational yet so it looks like we will be doing a 15-20 BBL batch which will be served in their tasting room hopefully in time for the holidays.

I mistakenly thought it was a clone attempt or a recipe from the actual brewer.

Congratulations, I won something similar here. 1st in IPA, averaged 39.5, and People's Choice among all categories. Brewing it at Working Draft Beer Company once they open in December.

Congratulations, I won something similar here. 1st in IPA, averaged 39.5, and People's Choice among all categories. Brewing it at Working Draft Beer Company once they open in December.

Awesome! Congrats to you as well! Should be a great time!

no, it wasn't a clone or recipe from any brewer. Just doing small tweaks each time I brew it with much thanks going out to this thread. I swear by the pressure transfer technique @Braufessor posted. That's the best tool I have put in my bag since I learned how to care for the yeasties. I also really like that OYL-057 yeast. The aroma is unlike anything I have ever got from any strain before.

Awesome! Congrats to you as well! Should be a great time!

no, it wasn't a clone or recipe from any brewer. Just doing small tweaks each time I brew it with much thanks going out to this thread. I swear by the pressure transfer technique @Braufessor posted. That's the best tool I have put in my bag since I learned how to care for the yeasties. I also really like that OYL-057 yeast. The aroma is unlike anything I have ever got from any strain before.

I've used the OYL-057 once and it was the weirdest thing, it never created a krausen for me but fermented out none the less. I didn't get the "mango" in mine but that could have been from the weird ferment I had. The cool thing about that yeast is it supposedly doesn't change its profile throughout its temp range, which is pretty wide. My go to is still WLP007.

I've used the OYL-057 once and it was the weirdest thing, it never created a krausen for me but fermented out none the less. I didn't get the "mango" in mine but that could have been from the weird ferment I had. The cool thing about that yeast is it supposedly doesn't change its profile throughout its temp range, which is pretty wide. My go to is still WLP007.

Quite a few pages back on this thread, I put that temp spread to the test and it was legit! I split a batch with 5G fermented at 67F and 5G fermented at 90F. To me, there were no perceivable differences.

I would have never known that fruitiness was coming from the yeast. I have used it quite a bit and I always thought that fruitiness was coming from the Galaxy hops. With this batch, I omitted the Galaxy and since it was split 3 ways with different strains, I was able to pinpoint that the aroma is indeed coming from the yeast. Everyone who tried all 3 batches picked this one as the favorite.

I would have never known that fruitiness was coming from the yeast. I have used it quite a bit and I always thought that fruitiness was coming from the Galaxy hops. With this batch, I omitted the Galaxy and since it was split 3 ways with different strains, I was able to pinpoint that the aroma is indeed coming from the yeast. Everyone who tried all 3 batches picked this one as the favorite.

Would you say that this yeast gives out a Tree House Julius level of fruitiness?

I checked with my three LHBS and none of them carry OYL-057. Is it something that can be shipped via the mail and arrive alive and well?

I checked with my three LHBS and none of them carry OYL-057. Is it something that can be shipped via the mail and arrive alive and well?

That's what I do. I get it from ritebrew.com. They have good prices and good shipping. They use a company called speedee. Looks like you're in the same zone as me and they guarantee yeast health with 2-day shipping. I always get my yeast this way and have never had any issues. :mug:

2 x 6 ounce addtion.

So is it my understanding that you add the 60 min (.75oz Warrior) addition and then only the two 6oz. additions above? Regarding the FO addition, what is your process for time, temp and when you start your chiller? Does your second 6 oz. addition sit in the primary (12 days) from day 2 of fermentation until day 14? I've brewed 2 batches from this recipe and have really enjoyed them both. This mod would certainly save a couple of steps and it seems like you are pleased with the results so I'm interested in the process. Cheers!

Urban Chestnut doesn’t seem to brew IPA’s hardly at judging by their Untappd profile. Id have a hard time getting excited about donating my recipe and time to a place like that. Maybe you can help them step their game up

Urban Chestnut doesn’t seem to brew IPA’s hardly at judging by their Untappd profile. Id have a hard time getting excited about donating my recipe and time to a place like that. Maybe you can help them step their game up

this is usually the case with some brew competitions unless its a real big competition most of the breweries are just, eh.

So is it my understanding that you add the 60 min (.75oz Warrior) addition and then only the two 6oz. additions above? Regarding the FO addition, what is your process for time, temp and when you start your chiller? Does your second 6 oz. addition sit in the primary (12 days) from day 2 of fermentation until day 14? I've brewed 2 batches from this recipe and have really enjoyed them both. This mod would certainly save a couple of steps and it seems like you are pleased with the results so I'm interested in the process. Cheers!

I would like to know this as well...

2 x 6 ounce addtion.

Brau,

I see you are using 1318 rather than your usual 1272 yeast for this. Are you using 1318 these days? What's your thoughts on it?

They have German roots and with that a focus on German styles. They do branch out once in a while and recently they opened their third location in St Louis called the URB (Urban Research Brewery) so they will likely continue to expand their offerings.

As for the recipes, there is nothing really secretive about them. I'm sure they would have no problem crafting a fine IPA on their own. Regarding my time, I can't think of anything I'd rather do for a day. After all, I'm here because I love to brew. :mug:

Brau,

I see you are using 1318 rather than your usual 1272 yeast for this. Are you using 1318 these days? What's your thoughts on it?

I have been using 1318 recently and liking the results. Honestly, 1272, 1318, conan...... I like all 3. Ultimately my choice of yeast has a lot to do with things I want to brew at the time. I brewed a British Mild and a British Bitter a while back - I used 1318 for them and harvested the yeast. Generally, I brew 20 beers or so out of a single pack of yeast...... So, once I used the 1318 for that, I run it through a bunch of beers.

If I brewed an Amber ale and used 1272...... I would run that through 20 beers and be just as happy with them.

I have been pretty happy with these recent 1318 batches. I have been fermenting them at 64-66 for the first 2-3 days. Adding 6 ounces of dry hop on day 2. Moving them to 68-70 degrees (ambient) for the duration of fermentation after that.

The thing I sometimes don't like about 1318 is that from time to time I have gotten kind of a "tart" ester/flavor off of it. Really have not experienced that with what I have been doing recently though, and have thought the beers came out great.

Also - no blow off for the most part on recent 1318 batches with the temps held down just a little bit.:mug:

Yes - last 6 months+ this has been my hopping schedule:

1st Addition:
.5-.75 ounces of Warrior at 60 minutes

2nd Addition:
6 ounces at Flameout..... I shut off flame, get chiller going, swirl up wort some and probably drop hops in around 150-170 range.... not precise at all on that. I shut off chiller for 10 minutes maybe. Then, I get chiller going again and swirl up wort every 5 minutes or so while it chills.

3rd Addition:
6 ounces on Day 2 of fermentation. Those hops go in loose and stay in until I keg the beer on day 12-14 range (depending on schedule/convenience). I do move the fermenter upstairs where it is a bit warmer on day 3-4. I move the fermenter back downstairs onto a work bench in my brew room 2 days before kegging. I think this movement helps knock the hops out of suspension and helps them to settle out.

This route definitely is less effort, less time, etc. And, I have really noticed ZERO difference in the finished product. I would say this method has been producing NE IPA's that are as good as any I have made.:mug:

Have you experimented with smaller flameout/whirlpool additions?

Not really.... although, judging from a lot of the posts, it seems I am using less hops than a lot of people are.

It would be worth trying..... Honestly, it would not surprise me at all if 2 5 ounce additions were indistinguishable from 2 6 ounce additions...... or, a 3 ounce whirlpool and keep a 6 ounce dry hop.

Not really.... although, judging from a lot of the posts, it seems I am using less hops than a lot of people are.

It would be worth trying..... Honestly, it would not surprise me at all if 2 5 ounce additions were indistinguishable from 2 6 ounce additions...... or, a 3 ounce whirlpool and keep a 6 ounce dry hop.

I would agree that I wouldn't think two 5 oz additions would make much of a difference between two 6 oz additions.

However, I do three 5 oz additions of a blend of Citra, Mosaic and Amarillo (2:2:1). I do 5 oz at flameout, 5 oz hopstand when the wort cools to somewhere between 170F-180F and then another 5 oz dryhop at day 4 into fermentation. I just bottled my 2nd batch and this is one outstanding beer!!! It's going to be tough to keep this out of my permanent rotation! :mug:

I wonder what the difference would be between skipping the hopstand additions? I will say that when I took a sample when I dry hopped, I was amazed at how fruity the beer already was w/o the dry hop!

As for the recipes, there is nothing really secretive about them. I'm sure they would have no problem crafting a fine IPA on their own. Regarding my time, I can't think of anything I'd rather do for a day. After all, I'm here because I love to brew. :mug:

Totally agree with you! If I had the chance to go brew one of my recipes on professional equipment, I would jump at the chance! The experience alone would make it worth it.

Platform Brewery in Cleveland runs competitions for homebrewers to win a chance to brew their beers on a small 3 barrel system they use for experimenting and small batch beers and I would love to have the chance to win that one day!!! :mug:

Latest posts

Back