New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flying dog brewery made a one off beer with charlie P. Called "airwaves" for the last home brew con. It was a marris otter based IPA with about a 6% abv range I believe. They added so many dry hops (citra, Galaxy, mosaic) that they will never brew it again.

I bring this up because they used lager yeast! It was so neutral, that one only got the the amazing malt/hop combo. It was probably the best beer I had at the con.

Long story short, most of my Recent NE ipas have been made with lager yeast, and I love it.

I cross compared the same beer with 34/70 and us05, and the lager was much better imo

What was your fermentation schedule, including temps? I'd like to try this myself.

Many folks who don't keg, or don't have a dry hopping keg ask about adding all the hops to primary, or adding all the hops in a single dry hop..... that isn't what I do, but you have to make things fit your system and your process. Others do it with fine success. There is no reason it should not work to do that if it fits your system better

I am going to do all the dry hopping in my primary. Should I leave the first dry hops in primary the entire time or pull them out when I add the second dry hop addition?

I will be putting the dry hop additions in mesh bags.

I left the first in as well.

1st - 5 days before bottling.
2nd - 2 days before bottling.

I used mesh hop bags for the hop pellets. I added 5 boiled/sanitized marbles in each bag for weight. Not enough weight as both bags were floating when I took the cover off the fermenter on bottling day.

I am going to do all the dry hopping in my primary. Should I leave the first dry hops in primary the entire time or pull them out when I add the second dry hop addition?

I will be putting the dry hop additions in mesh bags.

I think you would be fine either way to be honest. I think people have done both with success.

Brewed on 9/10. On 9/16 hardly any air lock activity (I know, not an indication) and the gravity check was 1.015 which is about 4 points to FG. Went ahead and added first dry hop. 2nd dry hop addition went in this morning. There is still one bubble every 30-45 sec, maybe a minute. I figured by now it would be finished as I planned on bottling on Thursday.

Question: if I have to leave the dry hops in for 10-15 days what kind of effect will it have on the finished product? I was trying to not go beyond 8 days total on the dry hop but it looks like it my be longer than I anticipated.

Looking for recipe critique for a brew this weekend

11 gallons

Lbs % Fermentable

9.5 35% Maris Otter
9.5 35% American Brewer's Two-Row
1 4% Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
1 4% Carapils
2 7% Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
0.5 2% Honey Malt
4 15% Flaked Wheat

WY1318 London III yeast

SG 1.063
FG 1.010
ABV 6.9%
IBUs 77
Expected SRM 7
Estimated efficiency 68%

Hops Amt Time AA% IBUs

Millennium 2 60 16.6 51.0
Cascade 1 20 7.2 6.7
Citra 2 10 14.1 15.7
Simcoe 1 5 13 4.0

Azzaca 2 Whirlpool
Cascade 2 Whirlpool

Citra 3 Dry hop 1 14 days
Mosaic 3 Dry hop 1 14 days
Simcoe 3 Dry hop 1 14 days

Citra 3 Dry hop 2 7 days
Mosaic 3 Dry hop 2 7 days
Simcoe 3 Dry hop 2 7 days

Citra 2 Keg hop
Mosaic 2 Keg hop
Simcoe 2 Keg hop

Comments?

I'd cut the millenium in half, move all other boil additions to flameout/whirlpool, and maybe not dryhop for quite as long, maybe 3-4 days less.

I left the first in as well.

1st - 5 days before bottling.
2nd - 2 days before bottling.

I used mesh hop bags for the hop pellets. I added 5 boiled/sanitized marbles in each bag for weight. Not enough weight as both bags were floating when I took the cover off the fermenter on bottling day.

My second time dry hopping. Is it preferred to have them at the bottom vs floating?

Looking for recipe critique for a brew this weekend

11 gallons

Lbs % Fermentable

9.5 35% Maris Otter
9.5 35% American Brewer's Two-Row
1 4% Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
1 4% Carapils
2 7% Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
0.5 2% Honey Malt
4 15% Flaked Wheat

WY1318 London III yeast

SG 1.063
FG 1.010
ABV 6.9%
IBUs 77
Expected SRM 7
Estimated efficiency 68%

Hops Amt Time AA% IBUs

Millennium 2 60 16.6 51.0
Cascade 1 20 7.2 6.7
Citra 2 10 14.1 15.7
Simcoe 1 5 13 4.0

Azzaca 2 Whirlpool
Cascade 2 Whirlpool

Citra 3 Dry hop 1 14 days
Mosaic 3 Dry hop 1 14 days
Simcoe 3 Dry hop 1 14 days

Citra 3 Dry hop 2 7 days
Mosaic 3 Dry hop 2 7 days
Simcoe 3 Dry hop 2 7 days

Citra 2 Keg hop
Mosaic 2 Keg hop
Simcoe 2 Keg hop

Comments?

I think the bittering is ok (this is an 11 gallon batch) and 50 IBU's is probably about right in a 1.060+ beer.

I probably would just drop all the other boil additions though and add to flame out/whirlpool. Personally, I think that seems like a lot of dry hops....it is basically twice the dry hops I use. But, hey - I don't know for sure either as I have never used 12 oz./5 gallons in dry hopping.

I guess I also wonder a little bit about cara pils + corn sugar. Seems like you are kind of trying to do opposite things there a little bit.

I don't see anything glaringly wrong though.... probably just personal preference stuff from one person to the next.

I'm making this recipe for the second time on Friday. Unfortunately EVERYONE seems out of Galaxy. My LHBS said the distributors are out so all that is left is what might be sitting on retail shelves. Current harvest should be available in a few months.

So I'm swapping in Amarillo. I'm not expecting a huge falloff. :)

I'm making this recipe for the second time on Friday. Unfortunately EVERYONE seems out of Galaxy. My LHBS said the distributors are out so all that is left is what might be sitting on retail shelves. Current harvest should be available in a few months.

So I'm swapping in Amarillo. I'm not expecting a huge falloff. :)

Yakima Valley Hops has 2016 crop of Galaxy. Ordered a pound today.

Yakima Valley Hops has 2016 crop of Galaxy. Ordered a pound today.

Yep - Amarillo will be great..... but if you need some more galaxy, I picked up 3 pounds here as well a couple weeks ago. Galaxy is coming out now.... so, it is best to be looking around for some at this point in the year.

My second time dry hopping. Is it preferred to have them at the bottom vs floating?
Hopefully someone else can answer this as I'm new to home brewing. This was my second beer I ever brewed (this was an IPA, my first was a brown ale) and it was my first time dry hopping. I assume you want the hops fully submerged for maximum exposure, but I defer to someone with more knowledge.

Hopefully someone else can answer this as I'm new to home brewing. This was my second beer I ever brewed (this was an IPA, my first was a brown ale) and it was my first time dry hopping. I assume you want the hops fully submerged for maximum exposure, but I defer to someone with more knowledge.

Yep. Normally they'll sink in but I just did a batch with 1318 and the krausen was so thick I had to gently push the hops through with a sanitized spoon.

Yep. Normally they'll sink in but I just did a batch with 1318 and the krausen was so thick I had to gently push the hops through with a sanitized spoon.
Thanks. Funny, I used 1318 in my IPA as well. I do a 3 week primary-only fermentation and the krausen had fallen by the time I dry hopped. Even so the hop sacks still floated. For what it's worth dry hop #1 had 3oz of pellet hops and dry hop #2 has 2 oz of pellet hops. Perhaps an anchor was needed. :)

If you add some FermcapS to the fermentor, it will knock down the krausen on 1318. You don't need much, maybe a 4 drops. It might take a day or two to drop the krausen.

When I dry hop in the fermentor, I gently swirl the fermentor a few times a day to help agitate the surface and make some of the hops drop. Hops will naturally drop over time but I dry hop with a lot of hops so there gets to be a hop sludge on the surface. This gentle swirling seems to help. You want just enough swirl to get the surface moving but not so much that you create a lot of turbulence and air bubbles.

Thanks. Funny, I used 1318 in my IPA as well. I do a 3 week primary-only fermentation and the krausen had fallen by the time I dry hopped. Even so the hop sacks still floated. For what it's worth dry hop #1 had 3oz of pellet hops and dry hop #2 has 2 oz of pellet hops. Perhaps an anchor was needed. :)

Right but I dry hopped at day 7.

Had on of these last night!! Fantastic!!
Australian double dry hopped IIPA
Grain Bill: 2 Row Pilsner, Malted Wheat, Flaked Oats, Carastan
Hops: Ella, Summer, Vic Secret
O.G 1.067
ABV 7.3%

Reciprocal.jpg

40% Rahr 2 Row (6 lbs)
40% Golden Promise (or similar…Maris Otter) (5 lbs)
8% Flaked Oats (1 lb)
4% Flaked Barley 1/2 lb)
4% Weyerman Wheat (1/2 lb)
2% Flaked Wheat (1/4 lb)
2% Honey Malt (1/4 lb)

In post #1418 is it 40% of each base malt, or 6lbs and 5lbs?

Brewed the updated recipe with a slight hop change and US 04 as it was all I could get at the time. Kegged on day 15 which was last Saturday and keg hopped with 3oz leaf hops.

I know it's young and not fully carbed but it's a mess. Bitter I assume from the keg hope (still in there) but it's unbelievably sweet. I hit my numbers to a tee as it finished at 1.011.

Anyone experience this. Really hoping another week or so on gas helps but my first iteration was best after a few days in the keg. Advice appreciated.

Brewed the updated recipe with a slight hop change and US 04 as it was all I could get at the time. Kegged on day 15 which was last Saturday and keg hopped with 3oz leaf hops.

I know it's young and not fully carbed but it's a mess. Bitter I assume from the keg hope (still in there) but it's unbelievably sweet. I hit my numbers to a tee as it finished at 1.011.

Anyone experience this. Really hoping another week or so on gas helps but my first iteration was best after a few days in the keg. Advice appreciated.

How carbed is it? That can have an effect on the way the beer presents itself.

Very minimal. That's my hope. Had it on 30 psi for 48 hrs and then down to 12 so I expected it to have higher level of carb than it does. I'm not really in a rush to drink it but don't want to lose the essence of a fresh IPA so I cranked the psi back up to 30 and will leave for another 24 hrs and then set it back.

Luckily a friend brought me 2 4 packs of various alchemist beers so I'm not suffering.

40% Rahr 2 Row (6 lbs)
8% Flaked Oats (1 lb)
4% Flaked Barley 1/2 lb)
2% Flaked Wheat (1/4 lb)
2% Honey Malt (1/4 lb)

It's a minimal difference in barley considering the 13.5lb overall grain bill. You should be able to do 6/5-5/6-5.5/5.5 without noticing the difference in the final beer.

40% Rahr 2 Row (6 lbs)
8% Flaked Oats (1 lb)
4% Flaked Barley 1/2 lb)
2% Flaked Wheat (1/4 lb)
2% Honey Malt (1/4 lb)

Not anymore it doesn't:)

Good catch..... 5.5/5.5 .....But, honestly, whatever combo of base malts you like to use is probably just fine.

So I heard BYO's latest issue was a NEIPA centric issue. Any good info in there? I was thinking about picking up the issue.

It is....Rise of the Haze. Haven't gotten to read it, but there are 5 different recipes in there. Always good to take a look and see what they have to say....

Very minimal. That's my hope. Had it on 30 psi for 48 hrs and then down to 12 so I expected it to have higher level of carb than it does. I'm not really in a rush to drink it but don't want to lose the essence of a fresh IPA so I cranked the psi back up to 30 and will leave for another 24 hrs and then set it back.

Luckily a friend brought me 2 4 packs of various alchemist beers so I'm not suffering.

Give it 7-10 days in the keg. I've brewed variations on this recipe maybe 5-6 times and each time, when I keg it, it doesn't taste all that good at the beginning. There is likely yeast and hop particulate in suspension that takes a while to settle. Give it a few days, then do a small pour and let it sit in the fridge for several hours. You will see a lot of hop material settle out. Once you let all of that settle and clear it out, the taste will vastly improve.

So I heard BYO's latest issue was a NEIPA centric issue. Any good info in there? I was thinking about picking up the issue.

Good issue. Interesting to read some of the history of Alchemist and Hill Farmstead. Definitely looking forward to giving the recipes a try. Love Bissell Reciprocal btw. Buddy brought me back a 6pk of various NE beers last year and I think Reciprocal was my fav. Even over Abner, Susan, Heady and Julius.

Plan on brewing up OP's recipe today. Although, since I could not get my hands on Galaxy in time, I will be increasing the Citra...

Should have Galaxy by my first dry hop addition...and will use more Galaxy than Citra.

Where are all the pics at??

Cheers!

It is....Rise of the Haze. Haven't gotten to read it, but there are 5 different recipes in there. Always good to take a look and see what they have to say....

I'm curious who wrote the recipes because JZ has a pretty well documented position against NE Ales...

I'm curious who wrote the recipes because JZ has a pretty well documented position against NE Ales...

I think it is more that they have a pretty well documented position for whatever sells (including "controversy" for their podcasts) and they have a position against east coast/midwest breweries doing this, while simultaneously never calling out any west coast breweries that do this. The same west coast people that are quick to rip on tree house or alchemist trip over themselves to tell us how great Cellar Maker is....

I think almost all of the "talk" is just that...... nothing more than generating fake outrage and supposed controversy to keep people talking.

Back