New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
68F fermentation - up to 70F to finish
Same for me w/ the Omega. Hmm I was wondering if we ran the temps too high, but this shouldn't seem to present much of a problem.

Well, that might be for a different, non rubbery recipe, but I'd bet it's probably your normal routine.

There's a chance we have the "band aid" smells. I have chloramine in my water, I researched it, but I do a bit of Na-Meta Sodium Metabisulfite in the water the night before, so in theory that's eliminated.

Won't be autolysis, not when kegging like 2 or so weeks after brewing. I don't think it's underpitching, not for me at least, 150 billionish cells for a 3 gallon batch for me should be plenty.

I monitor mash pH, I'm always in the neighborhood of 5.3, 5.4 per my meter.

I'm doubting infection, but you never know.

Could just be due to a crapload of hops, and / or one of the hops. There's a reason people use cryo for these.

My latest hb neipa. Citra/mosaic wp with citra/mosaic/amarillo dh. Had a few today. Why not, it’s my birthday.
IMG_7321.jpeg

Regarding the plastic / burnt plastic / whatever smell, mine's gone a few days later. There's a very decent chance that somethign was suspended in the beer that has now dropped out. Yeast, microscopic bits of hops, not sure. Also could have chemically converted to something else? But it's gone.

@wepeeler or others that might have had it or ever will have it.

Quick pH question. My last recipe, cribbed / averaged from here, was:

5 lbs 2-row pale
5 lbs golden promise
2 lbs flaked oats
1.5 lbs white wheat
.25 lbs honey malt

Even with some 10% phosphoric acid (12ml, but it's a year old) I measured a 5.5 wort pH just before boil (post grain drain and sparge). Stirred, basket lifted and lowered, and recirculated in an Anvil Foundry. Using an Apera pH60 that gets calibrated each use (4.00 and 7.00 solutions measured as such).

Is there a particular grain that may have raised it more than I expected? I am thinking the white wheat, flaked oats, or both may have bumped me higher than normal.

For folks getting pH measurements more in the 5.3 range, are you adding a lot of acid or acidulated malt or something to get there?

Last edited:
Do you have a mash pH?
Do you acidify your sparge water?
Checked my last hazy recipe
Pilsner 4.5kg
Big o malted oats 0.8 kg
Flaked wheat 0.4 kg

26 litre mash, 6 sparge

6ml lactic acid 80% in mash
0.3 ml in sparge

pH pre boil 5.3

You can add acid post boil as well to adjust pH.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's my mash pH info above. I didn't sparge. I'm using 10% phosphoric, so if you're using 6ml of 80% then that's a lot more than I am, and maybe a sign it's fine I simply add a little more. I don't need to on other beers (pale ale, ESB, etc.) so I guess I'm just not used to what a NEIPA might require.

Your 6ml of 80% is ~ 4.8ml acid, my 12ml of 10% is of course ~ 1.2ml acid. Big difference. Maybe I'm not crazy to think I can just add more.

Yeah, that's my mash pH info above. I didn't sparge. I'm using 10% phosphoric, so if you're using 6ml of 80% then that's a lot more than I am, and maybe a sign it's fine I simply add a little more. I don't need to on other beers (pale ale, ESB, etc.) so I guess I'm just not used to what a NEIPA might require.

Your 6ml of 80% is ~ 4.8ml acid, my 12ml of 10% is of course ~ 1.2ml acid. Big difference. Maybe I'm not crazy to think I can just add more.
Don't forget that was lactic acid.
Just checked in the water calculator that 6ml lactic acid 80% had the same pH drop as 5.5ml of phosphoric acid at 50% ( the only other acid I have).
For my grain and water profile.

Regarding the plastic / burnt plastic / whatever smell, mine's gone a few days later. There's a very decent chance that somethign was suspended in the beer that has now dropped out. Yeast, microscopic bits of hops, not sure. Also could have chemically converted to something else? But it's gone.

@wepeeler or others that might have had it or ever will have it.
I dumped mine. Never using Cellar Science again. I get too good of a result with Coastal Haze!

I dumped mine. Never using Cellar Science again. I get too good of a result with Coastal Haze!

Dang! Could have been the yeast then.

I kept mine, it's tasty. I think 1) it was a bit intense on this flavor because it was so soon after kegging, it basically hadn't fallen out of suspension yet. I get why people put finings in their hazies, or simply am reminded why I've learned to never judge a beer before it's been sitting in the frig for at least a few days, maybe a week, to have anything that's still in suspension get all settled out. And 2) The bit I did detect may well just be one of the minor flavors from the hops. Dank or diesel could have been descriptors and I jumped to the plastic thing after reading your post. The power of suggestion?

Dang! Could have been the yeast then.

I kept mine, it's tasty. I think 1) it was a bit intense on this flavor because it was so soon after kegging, it basically hadn't fallen out of suspension yet. I get why people put finings in their hazies, or simply am reminded why I've learned to never judge a beer before it's been sitting in the frig for at least a few days, maybe a week, to have anything that's still in suspension get all settled out. And 2) The bit I did detect may well just be one of the minor flavors from the hops. Dank or diesel could have been descriptors and I jumped to the plastic thing after reading your post. The power of suggestion?
TBF, my Cellar Science packet looked repackaged. Nothing was centered and the cut wasn't an exact shape lol. Maybe I got a bootleg packet.

Rubber and over ripe fruit. I still haven't dumped it but I'm getting close to needing the space.

First time using Cellar Science Hazy started fermentation slow, but at about 3 days kicked in nicely with good krausen. Pitched 12/17 and photo taken 12/24. I’ve had good success with Cellar Science Cali yeast, but probably will not use Hazy again and go back to Verdant.
AE421DDE-EA73-469D-90FB-D4256E4D5176.jpeg

First time using Cellar Science Hazy started fermentation slow, but at about 3 days kicked in nicely with good krausen. Pitched 12/17 and photo taken 12/24. I’ve had good success with Cellar Science Cali yeast, but probably will not use Hazy again and go back to Verdant.
View attachment 838631
What didn't you like about the CS Hazy yeast?

I got that too. How did the beer turn out though? Mine was terrible
The beer is good. It’s about 3 weeks old and still getting better with age. Very drinkable. I’m away so can’t post a photo of the finished brew right now. Good and hazy, with a nice light yellow/gold appearance.

Cellarscience Hazy may be the slowest dry yeast to start I have ever seen.

After more than 48h without ANY activity I pitched another pack. Since it looks like I panicked too soon and overpitched maybe that is why I didn't get any krausen?

Waiting 3 days for activity is insane, even Lallemand New England, known for it's long lag phase, is faster than that (18-36h).

Cellarscience Hazy may be the slowest dry yeast to start I have ever seen.

After more than 48h without ANY activity I pitched another pack. Since it looks like I panicked too soon and overpitched maybe that is why I didn't get any krausen?

Waiting 3 days for activity is insane, even Lallemand New England, known for it's long lag phase, is faster than that (18-36h).
It's by far the longest lag time I've ever had with any yeast.

Longtime lurker, here. I have recently modified my approach to this style. I used to high krausen dry hop about a third of the DH and then finish off with a bigger near the end of fermentation, followed by a little more in a dry hop canister in the serving keg (if necessary). This was all mostly done at room temps. I meticulously focused on O2 but never really bothered with hop creep (big mistake). I'd do the traditional temp rise near the end of fermentation but never really factored my dry hop schedule into additional rests.

I kept losing batches to what I thought was O2, so I iteratively ruled out any possible O2 ingress. It was always a coin toss on whether I'd get stale beer after about a week in the keg. Once I started putting effort into diacetyl prevention, in addition to the O2 safeguards, my beers got much better. I know this is pretty obvious in hindsight and with all the knowledge out there nowadays, but I was hyperfocused on O2 and lost sight of the d-word. I started to use an intermediate dry hopping keg since my FV doesn't fit in my chest freezer, and now I only dry hop cool after terminal gravity and an extended d-rest.

I use a fermzilla and am able to get it down to 50ish degF in my basement with a bunch of frozen water bottles. Depending on yeast, I ferment at 65-68 for a few days, then let sit at 72 for a solid week. I then soft crash down to 57ish for a good bit of time. Depending on my schedule (2 kids and PhD program), I'll sometimes let it soft crash for a solid week. Then I'll transfer over to a fully purged dry hop keg equipped with a floating dip tube. I purge before I rack onto the hops and right after to make sure O2 is pressure inerted out. Since the keg fits in my chest freezer, I set the freezer to 45 degF and dry hop for 2-3 days, rolling the keg intermittently. Then I crash to 35 and transfer to a serving keg, and donezo.

Things that have really helped the longevity and quality of my hazy beers: Oxblox in the mash. ALDC at yeast pitch AND dry hop. Very cheap additions and provide a good peace of mind. I am considering a half campden tablet at kegging, as well.

Over-the-top, paranoia induced additions that may or may not have helped O2 reduction: Stainless Steel quick disconnects and an evabarrier tubing for transfers. 10 pressure inerts at 13psi each time I want to purge a keg. hop bong that I use when dry hopping in the FV (rare, but I do it sometimes).

Anyways, this post is to basically summarize some best practices that work for me without top-dollar equipment. It's also to get people to focus on O2 AND diacetyl with this beerstyle. I wish I had focused on both from the start. Dumped many of batches for only focusing on O2.

Also, I do have a question for others that dry hop in a keg. Instead of rolling and agitating my next batch, I'm considering just flipping the keg every 6 hours or so. That way the hops will continue to travel through the beer and settle at different ends. I figured this would help increase the contact surface without the risks associated with rousing/shaking. Anyone ever try this with positive results?

Also, if you see any gaps in my approach, let me know. I understand the multiple transfers is risky for O2, but I'm ok with those risks. Happy brewing!

Recent batch

30% 2row
12% flaked oats
12% malted oats
21% flaked wheat
21% white wheat
4% acid malt

8.4%

Mash pH 5.1
Cl/SO4 240/90
Oxblox added to mash

1# brewers crystal
0.5 oz each citra/vic secret FWH
2 oz each citra/riwaka/vic secret 160 degF whirlpool

Pitched A24 with ALDC
Ferm at 67 for 3 days
72 for 7 days
Soft crash at 55 for 3 days

Transfer to dry hop keg at 45 degF
Also had ALDC in it
8 oz nectaron
4 oz citra lupomax
4 oz Vic secret
Rolled and shook a few times each day

After 3 days crash at 35 for a day and transfer to serving keg

Attachments

• IMG_8381.jpeg
    IMG_8381.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice. But how does it taste?!?!?!?!?
really nice! Soft, smooth, and noticeable fruit. This is my first time using Nectaron, and it is just ridiculous. The beer finished much dryer than I expected, but it's still very full-bodied.

I'll be brewing an oat-heavy hazy soon with Superdelic hops, which I've never even heard of until recently.

really nice! Soft, smooth, and noticeable fruit. This is my first time using Nectaron, and it is just ridiculous. The beer finished much dryer than I expected, but it's still very full-bodied.

I'll be brewing an oat-heavy hazy soon with Superdelic hops, which I've never even heard of until recently.
Superdelic is candyland. Sort of a super El Dorado with a little nz twist

My last one was Nelson, Nectaron and Mosaic. It was pretty great. Unfortunately I didn't really make tasting notes or get a picture, the keg emptied far faster than I expected LOL. About the time I thought I should take some notes I had emptied it.

The beer is good. It’s about 3 weeks old and still getting better with age. Very drinkable. I’m away so can’t post a photo of the finished brew right now. Good and hazy, with a nice light yellow/gold appearance.
Back home now. Here’s photo of beer fermented with Cellar Science Hazy dry yeast. While aroma is good, I find a slight bubble gum taste. This is the first time I’ve made a beer with this taste and also first time using CS Hazy. The fermentation smell was unpleasant, with hints of bubble gum. Was hopeful it would disappear, but didn’t. Still an ok drinkable beer.

82BC035C-C641-4659-A035-817C8B9BB57B.jpeg

Back home now. Here’s photo of beer fermented with Cellar Science Hazy dry yeast. While aroma is good, I find a slight bubble gum taste. This is the first time I’ve made a beer with this taste and also first time using CS Hazy. The fermentation smell was unpleasant, with hints of bubble gum. Was hopeful it would disappear, but didn’t. Still an ok drinkable beer.

View attachment 839315
what was your OG and pitching rate? fermentation schedule?

Back