New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, must be good though if you brewed it a few times.
I have 200g of Apollo I want to use up so might try it.
Never had a Julius so I wouldn't be comparing, just want a good beer.
I'll also skip mixing the yeast I'd just pick one of S04 or Verdant
I tried it a few times to try to get it to taste like Julius. I prefer my own neipa recipe.

Maybe some Apollo?
Apparently it's what they use in the dry hop for Treehouse Julius.
I’d be surprised if Julius has Apollo. It’s obviously a Citra heavy beer, and at one time had two other American hops. Amarillo seems very likely. My wild guess is that they use a tiny addition of US grown Magnum.

1.076 -> 1.017
Ca 91 Mg 8 Na 60 Cl 215 SO 37
Overnight step, B40 with bag.
Mash pH: 5.39
Boil pH 5.2
Post Boil 5.0 I like this effect

Grain (19 lb 4 oz) - Stupidly complex, cleaning out
Pilsner (42.9%)
Oats, Malted (23.4%)
Golden Promise 3 SRM (10.4%)
Wheat Malt (10.4%)
Raw Wheat (7.8%)
Rolled Oats (3.9%)
Wheat Flaked (1.3%)

Hops (6oz + incognito, 15oz)
30 min - 0.2 oz - Idaho #7 - 13.5% (5 IBU)
10 min - 1 oz - Citra - 13% (13 IBU)
15 min hopstand @ 180 °F
2 oz - Idaho #7
3 oz - Citra
20g Citra Incognito
^ 20 grams dissolved into the fermenter with 1L hot wort

Dry Hops - post cold crash to 45F 3 days, @ 50F for 24 hours, hard shaking DH keg X5
7 oz - Motueka
4 oz - Mosaic
4 oz - Citra Lupomax

Pure o2, Cellar Science Hazy two packs direct pitch. I might like this more than verdant and it’s cheap.

My most hop saturated beer I’ve made, maybe that I’ve had. Really like the hop combo, punchy/ pungent aroma and flavor. Citrus, lime, pithy, little diesel, pineapple clear gummy bears. I really like how I did just about everything with this, haha lots a small new improvements to my process and recipe here. Probably I could do a smaller WP addition, the pre DH samples of this beer were nothing special. DH saturation is great, maybe agitated too much, over saturated, not complaining.

View attachment 819088View attachment 819087View attachment 819089

Edit formatting
Did you get any off aromas during fermentation with Cellar Science - Hazy? Mine currently smells a little like rubber and over ripe fruit. Not very pleasant. On day 7...

Brujos inspired NEIPA update:

View attachment 835439

10 lb Pils
5 lb Malted oat
3 lb Wheat
2 lb Flaked oat

*no boil hops*
2 oz Citra WP @ 170
2 oz Citra Lupo WP @ 170
10 oz Citra DH
2 oz Citra Lupo DH

90:260 sulfat

At just over 5 weeks in the keg, this beer has gone from good to great. Previously, I was a little unsure of it because it tasted too much like hops rather than a hoppy beer. Now its tasting really nicely integrated but its still good a good saturation of flavor. I'm excited to rebrew this with different hops. I might add a little maltodextrin next time but I might not, its actually got a pretty nice body at 1.016 and that drying effect is gone.

Any fans of Coastal Haze here? Been using Verdant for a long time now but thinking of trying something different as I've read people say Verdant/LA3 can mute hop flavour and I've been struggling with this on a lot of beers.

Coastal Haze sounds like it could be a good option to try. Any risk of equipment infection and how does it generally perform? I'm pretty much limited to White labs, Wyeast and most dry yeast. I can get Imperial yeast from the UK but can get held up in customs for a while so don't really bother with that option anymore. Any other recommendations would be great. Hoping to get some time over the holidays to brew.

Myself and I believe @wepeeler (I could be wrong) use coastal haze. I haven't used any other yeast for this style in quite some time. My latest neipa I was gonna post full details on shortly but for yeast details.. I ferment at 68f then bump to 70f at the end of fermentation. This batch went from 1.072 to 1.018 in a week. I dont use a tilt so I just check at day 7 and a day later to verify it's done. This batch was a 2nd generation of coastal haze pulled from an over built starter. Here was kegging day pic, which was 2 days ago.
20231210_191020.jpg

Myself and I believe @wepeeler (I could be wrong) use coastal haze. I haven't used any other yeast for this style in quite some time. My latest neipa I was gonna post full details on shortly but for yeast details.. I ferment at 68f then bump to 70f at the end of fermentation. This batch went from 1.072 to 1.018 in a week. I dont use a tilt so I just check at day 7 and a day later to verify it's done. This batch was a 2nd generation of coastal haze pulled from an over built starter. Here was kegging day pic, which was 2 days ago.
View attachment 836368
Thanks for the information on it. Do you find it an issue overbuilding starters because this is a blend? How many generations have you pushed this? Attenuation looks good from your numbers.

Any fans of Coastal Haze here? Been using Verdant for a long time now but thinking of trying something different as I've read people say Verdant/LA3 can mute hop flavour and I've been struggling with this on a lot of beers.

Coastal Haze sounds like it could be a good option to try. Any risk of equipment infection and how does it generally perform? I'm pretty much limited to White labs, Wyeast and most dry yeast. I can get Imperial yeast from the UK but can get held up in customs for a while so don't really bother with that option anymore. Any other recommendations would be great. Hoping to get some time over the holidays to brew.
Agree with @bailey mountain brewer. It's all I use for my hazies. LOVE it. It does attenuate quite well, so you'll have to factor that in. I haven't had any issues with it being STA1+. I clean as I would any other brew day - Liquid PBW followed by a water rinse, then Star San. I overbuild and harvest from my starters, and I've gone out to about 10 generations. I usually just order a fresh pack when I need to add things to my cart to reach free shipping. I think the yeast I have now is well over a year+ from overbuilding.

Highly recommend. I prefer it to 1318, Juice, Dry Hop, Verdant, London Fog, Kviek, Cellar Science - Hazy, Omega British V and Conan. I may have even used a few more hazy style yeasts, but CH is my go to.

Agree with @bailey mountain brewer. It's all I use for my hazies. LOVE it. It does attenuate quite well, so you'll have to factor that in. I haven't had any issues with it being STA1+. I clean as I would any other brew day - Liquid PBW followed by a water rinse, then Star San. I overbuild and harvest from my starters, and I've gone out to about 10 generations. I usually just order a fresh pack when I need to add things to my cart to reach free shipping. I think the yeast I have now is well over a year+ from overbuilding.

Highly recommend. I prefer it to 1318, Juice, Dry Hop, Verdant, London Fog, Kviek, Cellar Science - Hazy, Omega British V and Conan. I may have even used a few more hazy style yeasts, but CH is my go to.
Thanks for that. Sounds great that you can overbuild successfully too. As it's a blend do you just let it go on the stir plate then split into 2 jars or whatever you use straight away to keep the blend as close as possible to the original? What would your usual mash temperatures be? I like to finish around 1.018-20 so probably looking at 153C

Thanks for that. Sounds great that you can overbuild successfully too. As it's a blend do you just let it go on the stir plate then split into 2 jars or whatever you use straight away to keep the blend as close as possible to the original? What would your usual mash temperatures be? I like to finish around 1.018-20 so probably looking at 153C

I mash at 152, I like even numbers. I decant my starters and when I pitch into the fermenter I fill a 50ml vial for the next batch.
I mash at 152 as well, but I get very good attenuation. Usually down to 1.012-1.015. Personally, I feel like the hops pop more around 1.015. I build a 2L starter and decant 500ml for the next starter, but Omega told me that was overkill. You're probably fine with 50-100ml.

Just kegged up a Strata Mosaic Neipa with Cellar Haze - Hazy. First time using this yeast. Started at 68F and ramped to 72F to finish. Left for 5 days after FG to clean up. Fermentation smelled terrible. Like rubber and overripe fruit. Smelled awesome today. Like straight pineapple juice. I haven't sampled it yet, but I will dig into it this weekend. Looking forward to it!

View attachment 836600
Sampling a double ipa that has been
Carbonating for a few days now. The aroma pops out the glass and the taste is really good thus far.

Grain bill:
50% pale wheat
40% gambrinus pils
10% malted oats
Hops:
Ctz @ 60min 13ibu
Nelson whirlpool
Nelson, motueka, mosaic dryhop
Yeast, Imperial Juice

Love that color!

Here's my latest attempt at a NEIPA. I've had challenges previously with NEIPAs losing haze and getting darker, most likely from unclosed transfer into an an unpurged keg. For this beer, I made a 10 gallon batch and keg hopped it so I could put Mosaic in one keg, and Citra in the other (I like comparing flavors in my IPAs). I've only tried the Citra keg thus far as I'm waiting for a tap to open for the Mosiac keg. My imperfect attempts to reduce oxygen during transfer:

1. Put 8oz of Citra pellets in a mesh bag in one keg, 8oz Mosaic pellets in the other. Purged each keg six times with CO2 at 30psi.

2. Removed the liquid out post on each keg and attached the transfer tubing to the post and gravity fed the beer into each keg. I did this to avoid a clogged quick disconnect as has happened to me in previous batches.

3. While I have a 14 gallon stainless steel conical fermenter, it is not configured for pressure transfer, so I accepted some oxygen exposure while filling the kegs.

4. Once transfer was complete, I purged the headspace with CO2 and left both kegs at room temperature for three days, then cold crashed and carbonated.

I'll report back if this beer starts to lose its way after a few weeks....if it lasts that long. It has a very nice nose and flavor thus far.

Recipe details: 76% two row, 7.3% flaked barley, 7.3% flaked wheat, 7.3% flaked oats, 1.8% honey malt. .5 oz bittering hops, 6oz Citra and 6 oz Mosaic flavoring/steeping hops 30min at 150 degrees. OG 1.061, FG 1.011, 27.5 IBU. Mash 152, ferment 68. Balanced sulfate and chloride (116 and 113ppm respectively). Verdant yeast.

NEIPA 12.16.23.jpg

I got a new pH meter that seems to work way better than my last one, and I'm realizing my actual pHs have been about 0.1 below my target, probably for a while. I was already aiming for 5.2 to 5.3, so I was ending up with 5.1 to 5.2. It will be interesting to see if bumping it up to actually hit my target makes any difference.

Brewed the NB Fruit Bazooka last night. Got it on some of the dry New England IPA yeast. My first NEIPA. I had to read the directions 3 times... NO hops during boil... only a 20 minute hop stand, then dry hop???? Ok, I'll play along... it's fermenting now.

Looks amazing! What was your OG and FG? What did your whirlpool and dry hop rates look like?
Og 1.080
Fg 1.022
Ctz 60min 13ibu
Whirlpool 175F
4oz of Nelson 17ibu
Fist dry hop after terminal for 3 days @55F
8 oz of Nelson
4 oz of motueka
Second dryhop
After cold crashing
Spectrum mosaic in serving keg

Last edited:
Hop rousing question -

In the past all my hazies were dry hopped in a keg so to rouse hops any time I was near the keg I would shake it a few times. I have trouble keeping these beers on tap so got a conical planning to get a full 5 gallons in my serving keg vs the 4.5 ish I was getting before (also less transferring). I did do one NEIPA with the conical and still tried rousing by shaking but it was not very convenient. So I'm going to get set up to allow me to rouse with CO2 through the racking port.

I get the general concept, but question for those that do this on the details. How long? What pressure? Hit it multiple times or a long burst?

Depends on the psi rating of your conical. For me it can handle 15psi, my process is:

Set co2 tank pressure to 10psi

Hook to co2 quick connect, I rouse via the bottom port with a butterfly valve, sight glass, butterfly valve, elbow, butterfly valve, co2 connection. So racking port you can probably skip my purging step.

To purge the elbow of oxygen, with 10psi pushing I loosen the triclamp until I hear it hissing, do that for a bit until I feel its purged, maybe 30 seconds or so.

Now I'm ready to rouse, because using the sight glass I cam see a little about what the hops are doing in there, I hit it with co2 for probably 10 seconds to get everything moving, using the pressure relief on top the fermenter to keep it flowing.

After that I do a couple short spurts of pressure maybe 3 or 4 times.

I imagine with rousing through the racking port you will be good to hit it with a 10psi and do a similar process but maybe someone will chime in that uses the racking port.

The main thing here in my opinion is that you need to make sure you get the yeast out, rousing hops will also rouse yeast.

Depends on the psi rating of your conical. For me it can handle 15psi, my process is:

Set co2 tank pressure to 10psi

Hook to co2 quick connect, I rouse via the bottom port with a butterfly valve, sight glass, butterfly valve, elbow, butterfly valve, co2 connection. So racking port you can probably skip my purging step.

To purge the elbow of oxygen, with 10psi pushing I loosen the triclamp until I hear it hissing, do that for a bit until I feel its purged, maybe 30 seconds or so.

Now I'm ready to rouse, because using the sight glass I cam see a little about what the hops are doing in there, I hit it with co2 for probably 10 seconds to get everything moving, using the pressure relief on top the fermenter to keep it flowing.

After that I do a couple short spurts of pressure maybe 3 or 4 times.

I imagine with rousing through the racking port you will be good to hit it with a 10psi and do a similar process but maybe someone will chime in that uses the racking port.

The main thing here in my opinion is that you need to make sure you get the yeast out, rousing hops will also rouse yeast.
I've got a ferm tank TC - 6 psi limit - so will have to stay a bit lower than yours. Seems like that means just hit is a bit longer since it's probably more about flow than pressure.

I do have a bit of concern on the yeast. I've used the conical once and dumping yeast was challenging. Have thoughts on the next try though to improve.

Yeah, so set your co2 regulator to 5psi to be safe and run it for like 20 seconds, still pulling the prv on top your tank so the pressure pushing in doesnt slow down. Do that a few times then wait 12 hours and hit it again. That's where I would start.

Dumping yeast and trub isn't as simple as it seems, a sight glass helps but can still be tedious.

OK, Newbish question. Long time brewer but only on my 2nd NEIPA.

I've historically dry hopped an ounce or two, and in a bag, but this time it's 4 oz into 3 gallons and it went direct. About 24 hours later I have a nice layer of puffy green hops on top, and some of it working its way to the bottom for a green layer collecting down there too. I have to imagine this is normal and all good. I'm not too concerned.

But - question - as this becomes 2 days, 3 days, and it's time to keg, will that layer of hops send itself to the bottom, or should I try and actively do that? As in start swirling the keg, or set the temp lower or anything? I just don't want to be ready to keg and still have hops all over the place.

OK, Newbish question. Long time brewer but only on my 2nd NEIPA.

I've historically dry hopped an ounce or two, and in a bag, but this time it's 4 oz into 3 gallons and it went direct. About 24 hours later I have a nice layer of puffy green hops on top, and some of it working its way to the bottom for a green layer collecting down there too. I have to imagine this is normal and all good. I'm not too concerned.

But - question - as this becomes 2 days, 3 days, and it's time to keg, will that layer of hops send itself to the bottom, or should I try and actively do that? As in start swirling the keg, or set the temp lower or anything? I just don't want to be ready to keg and still have hops all over the place.
i would (and I think most) cold crash the beer before transferring and the hops should mostly settle out. I also use a floating dip tube during transfers so I’m drawing off the top and not getting the stuff that settled out

Thanks. I'm holding it at about 60F right now, I had it there a few days to ensure the yeast dropped before I added the hops. I wasn't sure if I should let it climb or just stay. I can take it lower in a few days... I could swirl a lot too I guess, I'm kind of thinking I should let it ride for now though, maximize what the hops are giving up by not trying to rush them to the bottom.

Funny that after so many beers made in the past, going to a new style has me second guessing everything.

Just kegged up a Strata Mosaic Neipa with Cellar Haze - Hazy. First time using this yeast. Started at 68F and ramped to 72F to finish. Left for 5 days after FG to clean up. Fermentation smelled terrible. Like rubber and overripe fruit. Smelled awesome today. Like straight pineapple juice. I haven't sampled it yet, but I will dig into it this weekend. Looking forward to it!
Soooo, I'm not happy with the Cellar Science Hazy yeast. Lag time was 36-48 hours, and it's not as clean as it should be. The flavor from the Mosaic and Strata is awesome, but there's something in the background that I'm not liking. It's like over ripe fruit and a touch of rubber. Tastes kind of like how the fermentation smelled. Yuck.

I definitely want to try Mosaic Strata again but next time with Coastal Haze!

Green cheek makes the best mordern west coast ipa that I’ve tried. I don’t know if you had a chance to try them but definitely should check them out.
im gonna brew this change slightly. 60 min boil and use Juice(imperial) as my yeast because i have it. and citra dry hop 4oz and simcoe 1oz.

7.25g batch

60 min mash at 152.

60 min boil
1.3oz simcoe @60
2oz at whirlpool @165* 20 min

Imperial Juice yeast (because i have it sitting here.
dry hop
day 6 for 48 hours at 60*
1oz simcoe 1oz
4oz Citra

so its a MASHUP well see if it sucks lol

Last edited:
It's like over ripe fruit and a touch of rubber.
I just kegged a beer earlier this afternoon, and got a little of that rubber / plastic / burnt / possibly diesel smell as well. Hoping it goes away.

1oz Nelson, 1oz Nectaron, 2oz Mosaic in a 3 gallon batch. All from Yakima Valley Hops, T-90. Omega British V that seemed to ferment very normally.

I guess we'll see how it turns out, I'll pull a glass in a few days. Hopefully not too oxidized, I do closed transfer and am normally great at it, I even flush the lines. I had a fittings issue I was having to solve, some mismatch between a keg post and quick release, so stuff had to come apart after purging.

I just kegged a beer earlier this afternoon, and got a little of that rubber / plastic / burnt / possibly diesel smell as well. Hoping it goes away.

1oz Nelson, 1oz Nectaron, 2oz Mosaic in a 3 gallon batch. All from Yakima Valley Hops, T-90. Omega British V that seemed to ferment very normally.

I guess we'll see how it turns out, I'll pull a glass in a few days. Hopefully not too oxidized, I do closed transfer and am normally great at it, I even flush the lines. I had a fittings issue I was having to solve, some mismatch between a keg post and quick release, so stuff had to come apart after purging.
Best of luck. I'm not sure mine is going to get better. Probably going to be a dumper :(

I got some Citra hops from a local brewery that smell AMAZING so going to brew up a neipa tomorrow. Just finished making starter and weighing out grain/hops/salts. Coastal Haze!

Back