New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got done brewing a hazy today. 52% Rahr 2-Row, 12% Flaked Wheat, 12% Flaked Oats, 15.5% White Wheat Malt, 7.5% Raw Wheat, and a touch of Maltodextrin. This was a 2 gallon batch. No hops in the boil. I used 1.5oz. 2023 Galaxy from YVH and 1oz. CTZ in the whirlpool at 160F for 20 minutes. Let me tell you, it's been a long time since I've smelled Galaxy so tropical in the whirlpool. I have high hopes for 2023 Galaxy. I plan to use 4oz. of it in the dry hop along with 1oz. of CTZ after fermentation has ended and a soft crash has been performed. I'll keep everyone updated how this batch with Galaxy turns out.

Hey guys I'm looking for thoughts on the water profile for my Brujos style NEIPA. My Portland tap water is extremely soft, practically distilled. I'm struggling to find a way to hit 250 ppm chloride without going under a mash pH of 5.5. I can either 2.5 g of baking soda or mash at 5.3. Any thoughts?

Hey guys I'm looking for thoughts on the water profile for my Brujos style NEIPA. My Portland tap water is extremely soft, practically distilled. I'm struggling to find a way to hit 250 ppm chloride without going under a mash pH of 5.5. I can either 2.5 g of baking soda or mash at 5.3. Any thoughts?
If you want to hit that specific mash ph, just add baking soda to bring the ph back up. Only thing you have to think about is how high your NA ppm will get.

To be honest though, I’m not sure why he mashes on the higher side for ph for a pale colored beer. It doesn’t make sense to me.

I personally would mash 5.3

Last edited:
If you want to hit that specific mash ph, just add baking soda to bring the ph back up. Only thing you have to think about is how high your NA ppm will get.

To be honest though, I’m not sure why he mashes on the higher side for ph for a pale colored beer. It doesn’t make sense to me.

I personally would mash 5.3
Yeah it does go against a lot of conventional knowledge, like I'd be going out of my way to make a mistake that new home brewers usually make. That's also why it really stood out to me, I wish I knew more of the reason behind it. I usually mash at 5.2, so I'll probably compromise today with 5.3 or 5.4.

4F2840E7-8E26-4A65-A735-1E0B5FEDDD8B.jpeg

I was at a massive beer fest in DC (Snallygaster) over the weekend. I thought the hazies from Hop Butcher for the World were standouts. So I know you have a few decent beers up your way.
Did you stop at fiden’s table? I saw Allen and Steve’s wife, Raquel, were pouring there

It’s interesting to see how this style continues to evolve…

I’ve had a few Brujos beers. Couldn’t finish them. Had a similar experience with quite a few Monkish and the heavily hopped North Park offerings.

When is too much too much? All of these beers were so beyond drinkable for me. So much hop astringency. The hop character becomes indistinguishable and just tastes like raw pellets.

We’ve slowly been using less hops in the DH at my brewery and I can say I’m enjoying the hop character in our beers more and more. I’ve always been against piles of wheat and oats as I don’t think it’s necessary and if anything creates even more hop burn.

Don’t want to be the “get off my lawn” guy but where does it stop? I’m a big fan of hop saturation and explosive character but it seems like many places have pushed past what is actually enjoyable for no reason other than to stand out.

I’ve had a few Brujos beers. Couldn’t finish them. Had a similar experience with quite a few Monkish and the heavily hopped North Park offerings.

When is too much too much? All of these beers were so beyond drinkable for me. So much hop astringency. The hop character becomes indistinguishable and just tastes like raw pellets.

We’ve slowly been using less hops in the DH at my brewery and I can say I’m enjoying the hop character in our beers more and more. I’ve always been against piles of wheat and oats as I don’t think it’s necessary and if anything creates even more hop burn.

Don’t want to be the “get off my lawn” guy but where does it stop? I’m a big fan of hop saturation and explosive character but it seems like many places have pushed past what is actually enjoyable for no reason other than to stand out.
Long time no see. Hope all is well and successful with the brewery but also I hope you’ve found some success with work/personal-life balance.

You do sound a little “get off my lawn” but at the same time I don’t fully disagree lol. There are def sweet spots I know you and I have been preaching for years in this thread. That also said, I believe with some specific practices and process, those sweet spot can be pushed to included larger load. Especially with some of the newer products

Last edited:
There’s Hop Heads, Hop Enthusiasts, and Hop Lovers. I love hops, but I can’t do the overload scene. I want to say, oh that tastes like Strata. Or, yup I still don’t like Galaxy. Where I live there isn’t all the bomb hop beers. When you do find them they aren’t fresh enough to buy. I’ll agree that new products and advancements have brought on better brews. In the end, most breweries put out beers that all run together.

Did you stop at fiden’s table? I saw Allen and Steve’s wife, Raquel, were pouring there
Fidens was on my long list of breweries to try, but I don't think I did this year. Many of the hype breweries tend to have very long lines so I tend to gravitate towards the lesser known breweries and a variety of styles...there are only so many 8% NEIPAs and 12% Pastry Stouts one can sample. I heard rave reviews of a Saison with Smoked Oysters, but they were between kegs when I stopped by.

I have heard how North Park is making some of the best modern West Coast IPAs and I would have loved to try something like the legendary Hop Fu!, but of course they were pouring two Hazy IPAs (at 10% and 15%!) and a 13.5% Pastry Stout.

I'm curious which Brujos beers you had. Humulus Magus is my personal favorite NEIPA I've ever had. Ad Arma and Magos del Subterranneo were really good too but a little intense for me in terms of strength and southern hemisphere/dank character. Really cool to try, but not every day beers. 7% to 7.5% is the sweet spot for me, I think you can have a ton of hop saturation without being overbearing.

I totally agree on Monkish though, I couldn't believe how much hop burn they had... not good at all to me.

I'm curious which Brujos beers you had. Humulus Magus is my personal favorite NEIPA I've ever had. Ad Arma and Magos del Subterranneo were really good too but a little intense for me in terms of strength and southern hemisphere/dank character. Really cool to try, but not every day beers. 7% to 7.5% is the sweet spot for me, I think you can have a ton of hop saturation without being overbearing.

I totally agree on Monkish though, I couldn't believe how much hop burn they had... not good at all to me.

There's a big freshness component to these beers as well. It sounds like you want to let them sit for a month before trying, so maybe @couchsending had them fresh and you had them at a few weeks old? Same thing with a couple of breweries in my area, I know which ones are great if you let them sit for a month.

There's a big freshness component to these beers as well. It sounds like you want to let them sit for a month before trying, so maybe @couchsending had them fresh and you had them at a few weeks old? Same thing with a couple of breweries in my area, I know which ones are great if you let them sit for a month.
I never understood why brewers aim to have a hopburn beer that needs a month to settle down vs adjusting the process making sure there is no burn.
Should not take more then a week for a beer to fall into place?
Having said that I've never been privy to super fresh american brewed hazies so perhaps im missing something?

I never understood why brewers aim to have a hopburn beer that needs a month to settle down vs adjusting the process making sure there is no burn.
Having said that I've never been privy to super fresh american brewed hazies so perhaps im missing something?
I fully agree with you. It’s not the consumers job to condition a beer for a brewery so they can open up tank space. Too many breweries got away with this over the past few years.

That said, I think the consumer is equally at fault. Waiting hours in line for a release which you know the beer would still be green and you continuing to do so. Then adding to the hype by inflating untapped rating. Comments like “aroma is juicy but lots of hopburn. Beer needs a few weeks - 4.4” I see it all the time, major flaws mentioned in comment and then beer is rated in the 4s

I fully agree with you. It’s not the consumers job to condition a beer for a brewery so they can open up tank space. Too many breweries got away with this over the past few years.

That said, I think the consumer is equally at fault. Waiting hours in line for a release which you know the beer would still be green and you continuing to do so. Then adding to the hype by inflating untapped rating. Comments like “aroma is juicy but lots of hopburn. Beer needs a few weeks - 4.4” I see it all the time, major flaws mentioned in comment and then beer is rated in the 4s
Yes, it seems there are people who like the burn though, but I think they are most likely unexperienced drinkers, you'd imagine the fad would fade but seems some brewers are doubling down on it.

I saw a few of those comments, people are bonkers. And not even a mention of sitting for a few weeks, they enjoy the bitterness.
It's like the next cool hot sauce... but you can drink it straight! :rock:

Drives me absolutely insane. The worst for me is when I get a NEIPA on tap at the brewery that tastes green with hop burn, just give it an extra week in the tank and it will be perfect!

Trust me, its not always down to the brewer releasing green beer. Usually down to the owner pushing the brewer to get the beer out of tank and behind the bar so that tank can be filled again.

I saw a few of those comments, people are bonkers. And not even a mention of sitting for a few weeks, they enjoy the bitterness.
It's like the next cool hot sauce... but you can drink it straight! :rock:
If thats the case it would be cheaper to buy any decent macro hazy ipa and just dose it with a bit of cryo lol

Gents! Homebrewer from Europe here. First time visiting Boston in a couple of months. I have on my list some breweries I need to visit (trillium, nightshift, harpoon. Aeronaut, lamplighter). Do you suggest any other not to be missed local breweries?

Also, I want to eagerly have a go on Tree House brewes, but due to time restrains i cannot visit them onsite. Any ways to find their brews near Cambridge (MIT)?

If this post is out of context i will delete it.

Thank you all in advance!

Gents! Homebrewer from Europe here. First time visiting Boston in a couple of months. I have on my list some breweries I need to visit (trillium, nightshift, harpoon. Aeronaut, lamplighter). Do you suggest any other not to be missed local breweries?

Also, I want to eagerly have a go on Tree House brewes, but due to time restrains i cannot visit them onsite. Any ways to find their brews near Cambridge (MIT)?

Widowmaker should be on your list

Vitamin Sea

Treehouse doesn’t distribute so if you can’t make it to any of their locations (but you really should!) your only hope is to phone-a-friend. Enjoy the trip!

I decided to be the Guinea Pig for the Brujos style brew today.

Mashed 12.5kg @ 150F into my Grainfather S40. Pushed it to its absolute limit.

35% Extra Pale Pilsner
65% Combination of Oats & Wheat. Heavier on the Oats.

1.20qt/lb water/grain ratio. I used my whirlpool paddle attachment with my cordless drill to emulate a slow rake in the mash.

The sparge sucked fr. I went grocery shopping waiting for the grain bed to drain.

No dextrose or LDME in the boil for me as I had a touch more efficiency than planned. May add some Maltodextrin post ferm depending on finishing gravity.

3.5 ounce combo of Columbus & Motueka @ 170 in the whirlpool.

OG 1.090
Knockout pH 5.2
265 Chloride 50 Sulphate 100 Calcium

I think I’ve hit the brief pretty well. Had a suss at their Untappd. Saw a beer of theirs named Magos Del Subterraneo with Citra, Nelson, Motueka & Raw Honey so I’ve decided to base this recipe of that beer. I’ll Dry Hop with a combination of those 3 hops at the equivalent of 6lb/bbl and add Raw Orange Blossom Honey at High Krausen.
IMG_8138.jpeg

Super Potion - 9.5% ABV.
Imperial IPA with Citra, 2023 Motueka & 2023 Nelson Sauvin. Fermented with Raw Orange Blossom Honey.

31 days since brew day. This beer is fantastic! Like, it genuinely holds up with some of the best beers I’ve tried. Quite comfortably the best beer I’ve ever brewed, and I like to believe I’ve brewed some pretty good beers in the past.

I tried this for the first time on the weekend with a mate who’s palate I really trust. The first thing he said to me after the first sip was how good the mouthfeel was. Whether this was purely down to the ridiculous amount of Oats & Wheat (60%) or a combination of the Grain Bill, Dry Hop (6lb/bbl), Carbonation Pressure (10PSI) and Finishing Gravity (1.024) I don’t know but there is a noticeably great mouthfeel about this beer. Safe to say we enjoyed our night and our wives probably had enough of our antics by the 4th pint.

I tried to match the oil content 1:1:1 in the dry hop. No astringency whatsoever. The 2023 NZ hops are unreal. A cheat code really.

As the beer finished at a relatively high gravity, I didn’t feel the need to add Maltodextrine. I like my beers on the sweeter side. The BSY-A011 yeast I used has a limit of 9.5% and probably fizzled out a bit. A different variant may have finished this drier.

I don’t think the addition of honey didn’t added anything besides extra ABV. Next time I brew this I will probably eliminate it. 9.5% is a touch high for me. I don’t mind buying cans of that percentage but for something I have on tap 24/7 I’d like a bit more drinkability. I had three of these in one session and I was smashed.

Does a beer need 6lb/bbl in the dry hop? I’m not sure. I’ll probably tone it down next beer. I only got 15L into the keg due to the losses.

Post dry hop pH of 4.70

Overall, amazing beer. Brew day was difficult but absolutely worth it in the end. I’ll definitely continue to incorporate Brujos style processes into my future brews.

View attachment 832395

Super Potion - 9.5% ABV.
Imperial IPA with Citra, 2023 Motueka & 2023 Nelson Sauvin. Fermented with Raw Orange Blossom Honey.

31 days since brew day. This beer is fantastic! Like, it genuinely holds up with some of the best beers I’ve tried. Quite comfortably the best beer I’ve ever brewed, and I like to believe I’ve brewed some pretty good beers in the past.

I tried this for the first time on the weekend with a mate who’s palate I really trust. The first thing he said to me after the first sip was how good the mouthfeel was. Whether this was purely down to the ridiculous amount of Oats & Wheat (60%) or a combination of the Grain Bill, Dry Hop (6lb/bbl), Carbonation Pressure (10PSI) and Finishing Gravity (1.024) I don’t know but there is a noticeably great mouthfeel about this beer. Safe to say we enjoyed our night and our wives probably had enough of our antics by the 4th pint.

I tried to match the oil content 1:1:1 in the dry hop. No astringency whatsoever. The 2023 NZ hops are unreal. A cheat code really.

As the beer finished at a relatively high gravity, I didn’t feel the need to add Maltodextrine. I like my beers on the sweeter side. The BSY-A011 yeast I used has a limit of 9.5% and probably fizzled out a bit. A different variant may have finished this drier.

I don’t think the addition of honey didn’t added anything besides extra ABV. Next time I brew this I will probably eliminate it. 9.5% is a touch high for me. I don’t mind buying cans of that percentage but for something I have on tap 24/7 I’d like a bit more drinkability. I had three of these in one session and I was smashed.

Does a beer need 6lb/bbl in the dry hop? I’m not sure. I’ll probably tone it down next beer. I only got 15L into the keg due to the losses.

Post dry hop pH of 4.70

Overall, amazing beer. Brew day was difficult but absolutely worth it in the end. I’ll definitely continue to incorporate Brujos style processes into my future brews.
That looks and sounds amazing. Don't forget, alcohol content also helps mouthfeel. I brewed a Brujos style single IPA and added some malto to the boil. It's been dry hopped and is now cold crashing. My calibrated Tilt is showing a final gravity of 1.031 o_O

Congrats! That looks delicious. Curious how you managed such a high fg with a low mash temp? Is A011 a notoriously low attenuator? I’ve been struggling with my beers finishing too low. Brewing a double with Verdant now and it’s at 1.017 (79%!) and still dropping. I figured it’s due to inconsistent (too low) mash temps but then I saw you mashed at 150…

View attachment 832395

Super Potion - 9.5% ABV.

Post dry hop pH of 4.70

Beautiful beer and really helpful write up, thank you! You've got me pretty pumped for my own Brujos style NEIPA that I'm soft crashing right now, and maybe to also buy some 2023 NZ hops. I'm curious, what would your process have been for adding maltodextrin post fermentation?

Back