New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off topic, but what ever happened to Braufessor, the O.P. of this thread? Haven't heard from him since around page 300 or so?
Still a fine recipe and a great start into the NEIPA rabbit hole !

Check these out!

Attachments

• 557D3B7C-29B6-4F93-B6F2-266A564C9269.png
    557D3B7C-29B6-4F93-B6F2-266A564C9269.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • D764034C-389C-4CB2-ABC3-BF78A3C3E575.png
    D764034C-389C-4CB2-ABC3-BF78A3C3E575.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
A great review for those interested in the nitty-gritty of biotransformation, by @suregork et al
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00253-022-12068-w
It's great to see all the advances in yeast genomics being linked directly to brewing-related characteristics, so now we know "oh, it has this mutation in the Ure2p repressor so it will have more β-lyase and be better at releasing thiols".

A great review for those interested in the nitty-gritty of biotransformation, by @suregork et al
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00253-022-12068-w
It's great to see all the advances in yeast genomics being linked directly to brewing-related characteristics, so now we know "oh, it has this mutation in the Ure2p repressor so it will have more β-lyase and be better at releasing thiols".
Thanks for this @Northern_Brewer I just read the abstract and it will be a nice "coffee-time" read. Im a nerd and love reading about this stuff anyways lol

Moved south and haven’t brewed in about a year. Finally getting to where I can brew again, what’s happened over the past year here on the thread, any major breakthroughs?

Moved south and haven’t brewed in about a year. Finally getting to where I can brew again, what’s happened over the past year here on the thread, any major breakthroughs?
Thiolized yeast strains and dryhoping cold are the only newish things I can think of but you most likely already heard of that prior to your break from brewing. Welcome back!

For those experienced with Conan yeast, what is your recommended fermentation temp?

FermentedNJ just put up pre orders for phantasm in 3,6,16 oz increments. They said it will be repackaged from larger format and ship sometime next week. They noted usage rates of 1-2 lbs per barrel but dependent on when it’s added.

https://www.fermentednj.com/shopfer...136314762?mc_cid=72c07ac53d&mc_eid=3562c5d808
Personally I haven’t noticed a huge difference with beers using phantasm but I’m debating whether or not to order some

FermentedNJ just put up pre orders for phantasm in 3,6,16 oz increments. They said it will be repackaged from larger format and ship sometime next week. They noted usage rates of 1-2 lbs per barrel but dependent on when it’s added.

https://www.fermentednj.com/shopfer...136314762?mc_cid=72c07ac53d&mc_eid=3562c5d808
Personally I haven’t noticed a huge difference with beers using phantasm but I’m debating whether or not to order some
Holy hell, never expected it to be so expensive. $18.99 for 6 oz, which is just over 2lb/bbl. But I’ve probably spent more adding fruit to wilds

Last edited:

From what I understand, phantasm is filled with Thiol precursors from wine grapes. So you would still need a "thiolized" yeast strain to get the most out of this product. This link shows the differences in generating 3SH with cosmic punch vs British ale V. If I'm not mistaken while the 3SH with British V with phantasm is still above sensory threshold, it still doesn't hold a candle to what cosmic punch + phantasm can do i.e 10X as much 3SH with cosmic punch vs British ale V. Yeah, I'll throw some money at this product because Im a sucker lol.

Edit: I forgot to post the link lol: Introducing Cosmic Punch™: A Thiol-Boosting Version of British V….

Last edited:
⬆️ This is true. As @Noob_Brewer states, phantasm needs thiolized yeast to unlock it. The only difference between using certain hops such as cascade and saaz, is their precursors are incomplete and need the mash enzymes to make them complete where as the precursor in phantasm are already complete.

Just tapped my latest Double NEIPA coming in at 8.5% ABV. Simple grain bill of 2row and malted oats, 2nd generation Imperial Juice (LAIII), hotside hopped with Motueka and NZ Cascade and heavily Dryhopped with Citra LUPOMAX, Motueka, Wai-iti, and a touch of Nelson
View attachment 774803
So as this beer continues to condition it’s really getting good. I typically get a really nice mouthfeel and body for my beers but this beer is exceptional. The only difference was I went with a different maltster for my 2row. I used Rahr this time and I truly think it made a difference. I looked up the specs and it seems Rahr has a typically higher protein level in their 2row. If you haven’t tried them yet, give it a shot
3890293A-2530-4ADE-90FA-E5C166995FA7.jpeg

Last edited:
So as this beer continues to condition it’s really getting good. I typically get a really nice mouthfeel and body for my beers but this beer is exceptional. The only difference was I went with a different maltster for my 2row. I used Rahr this time and I truly think it made a difference. I looked up the specs and it seems Rahr has a typically higher protein level in their 2row. If you haven’t tried them yet, give it a shot View attachment 775882
Looks great! I used Rahr back in the day because I think someone saw TH use it. It’s been awhile though because I had been using NY malt

So as this beer continues to condition it’s really getting good. I typically get a really nice mouthfeel and body for my beers but this beer is exceptional. The only difference was I went with a different maltster for my 2row. I used Rahr this time and I truly think it made a difference. I looked up the specs and it seems Rahr has a typically higher protein level in their 2row. If you haven’t tried them yet, give it a shot View attachment 775882
That’s my go to malt I also like their Pilsner malt. Looks amazing.

Looks great! I used Rahr back in the day because I think someone saw TH use it. It’s been awhile though because I had been using NY malt
I’ve been trying to use germantown malts in NY but their pale malts have too much character. Happy I checked Rahr out for sure

New York craft malt was my go to, I would find a pebble or two when milling. O well supporting local was more important but now I just have to find grain. $37 is a great price.

That’s a steal I get it for 50$ from my local home brew store. What was your grain bill for this beer? I usually do 88 % rahr 10% white wheat and 2% golden baked oats. Pretty simple but I like simple.

That’s a steal I get it for 50$ from my local home brew store. What was your grain bill for this beer? I usually do 88 % rahr 10% white wheat and 2% golden baked oats. Pretty simple but I like simple.
I’m down in 60% base malts typically. This was 72ish% 2 row and 28ish% malted oats

Looks delicious, I have only used RAHR, that's what my LHBS uses.

Yea mash hoping was one of the original ways of incorporating hops

The first time I heard of mash hopping myself was in "The New IPA". If I recall, Scott Janish recommended mash hopping to increase beer stability (reduce oxidation) by removing iron and copper during the mash. I believe he says that flaked grains generally contain more metals than non-flaked. I have never tried mash hopping myself.

Back