New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 minutes rest at 164-167 should help. Also check your pH...if it's too low that will kill head

I'll have to get a PH Meter but this is the first beer I have noticed the head leaves so fast.

I did substitute Carapils in place of flaked Barley but that should not have effected
head retention...

Photoshop%20CCScreenSnapz001.jpg

has anyone had this issue, when pulled from the keg the beer looks slightly oxidised, but then after 10 mins changes to a brighter orange?

great recipe... Only thing I notice is the "head" does not last... Been sitting on 12psi for the past couple weeks and produces a full head on each pour but quickly diminishes.

Anyone else seeing this?

Drop the flaked oats. No need for it as far as body with the flaked wheat/barley. I did that a while ago and havent looked back. Foam/head similar to yours before. Now it is small bubbles, firm head with peaks at first pour, then at least one finger worth of foam lingers for 20min+, great lacing too.

Additionally if you study up on oxidation in these beers there appears to be a casual link of faster oxidation with use of flaked oats vs w/o.

Last edited:
has anyone had this issue, when pulled from the keg the beer looks slightly oxidised, but then after 10 mins changes to a brighter orange?

It is oxidizing in the draft lines, just dump the first couple ounces on first pour of the day. Happens to me too, just small change in pouring process cured it.

I'll have to get a PH Meter but this is the first beer I have noticed the head leaves so fast.

I did substitute Carapils in place of flaked Barley but that should not have effected
head retention...

Photoshop%20CCScreenSnapz001.jpg
The reason for the bubbles on the left is because the glass is dirty (maybe not something you can see, but it has dust or soap or something). When bubbles accumulate on the sides it is because the glass needed to be cleaned/rinsed better. That might also play a role in the head retention.

The reason for the bubbles on the left is because the glass is dirty (maybe not something you can see, but it has dust or soap or something). When bubbles accumulate on the sides it is because the glass needed to be cleaned/rinsed better. That might also play a role in the head retention.

i agree. that glass is NOT clean.

It's NOT a dirty glass or soapy. IT's a weak head, I'll figure out how to sort it on the next batch...

Saw tonight for the first time the oxidation in a beer line! I have been wasting 1-2 oz on the first pour from a keg since reading about line oxidation on this thread. I had two IPAs that I hadn’t sampled for a few weeks. The first few mLs from each was amber in color and then turned golden once the line cleared!

Could you give us the highlights of your conversation?
Yes, please do share. Any info gleaned from Pinthouse would be very helpful.
Nothing earth shattering. 90min boils, ferment out 14-17days, 5day seconday and zero oxygen. Use a clean yeast.

I'd mention about guys here claiming kettle to keg in 7-10days...he laughed.

Old school IPA ways...

Nothing earth shattering. 90min boils, ferment out 14-17days, 5day seconday and zero oxygen. Use a clean yeast.

I'd mention about guys here claiming kettle to keg in 7-10days...he laughed.

Old school IPA ways...

Jesus 19-22 days to packaging? Sounds like a waste of capital equipment resources.

7-10 days??? I could see the humor in it taking that long too!

I guess with a “clean” yeast 7-10 days is fair. I mostly use Kveik for these and it ferments it out in about a day. Get the dry hops in around 12-15 hours post pitch and tighten up the spunding valve. 24 hours in I’m at FG but I’ll leave it a few days to clean up, crash on day 4 and be drinking by day 5.

I guess with a “clean” yeast 7-10 days is fair. I mostly use Kveik for these and it ferments it out in about a day. Get the dry hops in around 12-15 hours post pitch and tighten up the spunding valve. 24 hours in I’m at FG but I’ll leave it a few days to clean up, crash on day 4 and be drinking by day 5.
Ship me a beer..love to try a 5day old beer..

7-10 days is not laughable for this style.

I have yet to have an ale take longer than 7 days to ferment out completely. Usually I'm at spunding gravity on day 3. They don't need lagering time and if the yeast was treated properly there should be nothing to clean up.

DH 24 hours in, spund at day 3 with or without another dose of DH, transfer to kegerator day 5 or so and drink a delicious beer on day 7 (especially if you have floating dip tubes). I do it routinely

I know people do successfully make these beers in 7-10 days. I also know many/most commercial breweries produce these beers in that range too. However, that said, almost every batch of NEIPA that I have ever been disappointed in was a batch i tried to push through in 7-10 days as opposed to 12-14. I have just always found the extra few days lets the beer clean up a bit and pushing it has always given me a bit "harsher" hop profile.... more grassy, more vegetal.

I don't doubt anyone else's ability in doing it..... I just know that with my system, and my process, I have always produced better beer with a few extra days on this style.

Back