Normal starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Souza

Reaction score
6CE490DD-E131-4C77-9CA1-C20D7FE04AD4.jpeg
Hi all,
Do these pics look normal for a starter? Hasn’t changed in a few days. Smells like normal beer.

7EE8F13D-08C5-4A2F-920B-C70C688F057E.jpeg

Yes, a bunch. It was a starter with yeast I salvaged from an earlier batch. I’ve done that a few times with good results. Last batch I made with imperial juice was bad, must have not been good about sanitation. The pics are San Diego super.

Any way you could get a photo with the surface in focus?

Are the white spots just bubbles or is there a film forming?

I tried getting a better picture but they all look blurry bc the glass dirty from shaking the starter early on. The white is definitely not bubbles, but not filmy either. It seems like stuff that normally on fermented wort, I’ve just never experienced it on a starter. The last batch was the contaminated juice so I’m probably paranoid. I should RDWHAHB!

I think it might be patches of super fine bubbles that are so small that it is hard to see that they are actually bubbles.

If you happen to look at a batch of beer with the krausen just starting, it looks like that. Also my starters look like that if they haven't been shaken for a while. What I think I see in your picture would not concern me, but you can probably see more detail than we can.

Back