Normal or Stall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooterjbrew

Reaction score
Done an 8.5gal batch to split for two different yeast strains. London ale III and Vermont ale from yeast bay. I done to 2l starter for the vermont and pitched to bags of the LAIII (one older and one fresher). Pitched both friday night at 1030. By 6am saturday both were going strong with tall krausen ring already (LAIII more so) Checked last night and seemed as if VA strain had slowed down and just checked 30min ago and all of the krausen has dropped out already with the VA strain and the airlock has super slow activity in it. Is this normal for the krausen to drop out so quickly? First time using it. TIA

3 day fermentation is normal with plenty of happy yeast.
However, you need to take a gravity sample to determine if it stalled or not.

3 day fermentation is normal with plenty of happy yeast.
However, you need to take a gravity sample to determine if it stalled or not.

Given the times quoted this one had only fermented about 1 day 20 hours. That is a little fast. What temperature is it during the fermentation? Warm = fast but not necessarily good.

As mredge said gravity reading will be needed to determine if it is stalled.

Given the times quoted this one had only fermented about 1 day 20 hours. That is a little fast. What temperature is it during the fermentation? Warm = fast but not necessarily good.

As mredge said gravity reading will be needed to determine if it is stalled.

Its been stable 68-69 degrees....there is still activity on the blowoff tube (Changed out the airlock) not super concerned as I am more confused than anything lol. Also my past brews have had so much movement in the wort its insane, neither of these have had that but both still burping so....

Thanks for the info. Im going to grab my first reading around day 8ish on my dry hop.

Back