Nordic Farmhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldmann

Reaction score
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.015
IBU: 30
SRM: 13

9.5 lbs Pilsner
1.25 lbs Crystal Rye
0.5 lbs Flaked Oats
0.5 lbs Flaked Wheat
0.5 lbs Rauch Malt

1.70 oz EKG @ 60
2 oz Juniper Berries @ 5

WLP 400 Belgian Wit

-------------------------------

This is a clone of a beer I tried from Liquid Riot in Portland from a recent trip. I emailed them and they gave me quite a few tips and this is what I've come up with. I'm hopefully planning on grabbing some juniper boughs to throw in the mash-tun, but that depends if I can find it. I want the juniper to be present but subtle, how many berries should I add and when? For those that have mashed with the boughs in the mash-tun what was your process?

It's now had some time in the bottles. I remember the liquid riot version being a lot drier and balanced than mine. I think it needs a bit less smoked malt and juniper. I think I'll try a saison yeast next time. Overall it's pretty good, but it needs some tweaking to be more balanced.

Juniper is very pungent. I would have started with less than half that. Half pound rauch doesn't sound high... Maybe too much crystal rye? It has a weird dry licorice flavour.

I have an IPA on tap that had a bit under 2 oz of fresh juniper berries and needles, and it is WAY too much. I added them for a half hour steep at 180 degrees or so.

On top of the 2 oz of berries in boil, I also threw some branches into the mash tun. I made a tea out of the same branches before brewing with them just to see how they tasted and it was very medicinal so I'm pretty sure that was the culprit.

I've had a red ale that a friend of mine made with the same crystal rye that was a dominating flavour and I get that in mine but it's extremely subtle.

Omega doesn't deal with any Canadian homebrew suppliers as far as I'm aware so it would probably be pricy to get shipped.

Back