Noobiest question about hops ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zackcavalier

Reaction score
I am preparing to brew a friends clone, and he lists times for hop additions. The times are 60, 25, 5. The boil is 90 minutes. I assume these times count down from 90, so the additions are made with 60 minutes remaining, 25 remaining, and 5 remaining minutes of the boil. Thanks for helping out a moron.

Jon said it all, but I just wanted to add that you aren't a moron, we all started with no brewing knowledge at one time. And it can get confusing the first time. 5 minutes left in the boil or 5 minutes into the boil makes a big difference.

Good guess. You obviously know more than I about why. I just know I like the taste. Truthfully, I have never even had the original...just his clone.

Pilsner malt has more DMS than other malts. Longer boil drives the DMS off, so you don't get the off flavors.

I love this place. Zack asks a hop question that he thinks is noobish - then I get to learn that pilsner malt is high in DMS. Seriously, every expert started off as a noob. I think the people in this community understand that better than anyone else I know. Good thread starter!

NewWestBrewer said:
For what it's worth Jamil always does 90 min boils.

I always lose a lot of volume to boil off. I would worry that 90 minutes would exacerbate that. I guess you need to account for it with pre boil volume then.

I always lose a lot of volume to boil off. I would worry that 90 minutes would exacerbate that. I guess you need to account for it with pre boil volume then.

I would just adjust your pre boil volume. I normally have always done 60 minutes boils but was listening to one of his podcasts yesterday and he mentioned he always does 90. I think it can also be preference as my beers tend to be pretty good. I have heard though that defnitely a 90 min when using Pilsner malt to ward off DMS

Back