Noob ? Yeast head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antelope1027

Reaction score
I brewed a kit beer 12 days ago and cooled the wert and pitched yeast at 74 and it took 48 yours to take off and now after 10 days the air lock has slowed to just a bubble every hour or two. But my main question is that the yeast still has a head that hasn't settled and cleared. the area sits at 64 all the time? Did i make a mistake? my beginning og 1.046. I intend to measure it today. but the yeast has about half of inch on top?
thank you so much
this is my first batch.

Sometimes the krausen doesn't fall but in this case I would wait a few more days to make sure it isn't ready to fall on its own. If it doesn't fall, you can use a wine thief or a turkey baster to collect a sample from beneath it. That may be just enough to trigger it to fall too. If you can, move the fermenter to a warmer location as that might help too.

What did you brew and what was your yeast? Fresh yeast or older yeast with a starter? Some yeasts take their time to finish working.

Latest posts

Back