Noob with used equipment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kikshaaz

Reaction score
I have been patiently trying to get into this hobby for a couple of months. I had been watching Craigslist for some equipment and think I found a pretty good deal. My question pertains to cleaning equipment and bottles that have been sitting for some time ( several years ). I know after cleaning I need to sanitize and I do have starsan for that. Was just looking for a starting point.

BTW the equipment is

7.5 gallon SS pot
5 6.5 gallon carboys
3 5 gallon carboys
a 5 or 6 gallon pail with a spigot
an auto siphon
SS airiator stone
Bottle tree
Vinator
Some 5 liter kegs and Philtap
Misc hoses
Bottle wand??? the one you have to depress on the bottom of the bottle to fill the bottle.

All help is appreciated, I just want the 1st brewday to be a success.

Thanks

i would clean everything pretty well if it has been sitting that long. My probable steps would be:

Rinse with hot water to get rid of dust, debris
Soak in hot water with Oxyclean Free or PBW
Rinse well with hot water
Scrub or soak again as necessary if anything stands out

I have been patiently trying to get into this hobby for a couple of months. I had been watching Craigslist for some equipment and think I found a pretty good deal. My question pertains to cleaning equipment and bottles that have been sitting for some time ( several years ). I know after cleaning I need to sanitize and I do have starsan for that. Was just looking for a starting point.

BTW the equipment is

7.5 gallon SS pot
5 6.5 gallon carboys
3 5 gallon carboys
a 5 or 6 gallon pail with a spigot
an auto siphon
SS airiator stone
Bottle tree
Vinator
Some 5 liter kegs and Philtap
Misc hoses
Bottle wand??? the one you have to depress on the bottom of the bottle to fill the bottle.

All help is appreciated, I just want the 1st brewday to be a success.

Thanks

1. Scrub the pots well. If they need to be soaked, that's cool. Make sure they're clean and good to go. Make sure you get every bit of soap out, though. The pot doesn't need to be sanitized. You'll be boiling in it.

2. Carboys can benefit from hot water and oxi clean. Hot tap water is warm enough. You don't want boiling water, or they'll likely just shatter, but a good soak and rinse is great, and you'll want to sanitize right before you put the wort in there to ferment.

3. Aerator stone - boil this. Don't let your hands stay on it too long. Oils can plug up the tiny holes.

4. Auto-siphon, bottle tree, bottle wand, tree stand... All can just be soaked and scrubbed. Make sure there are no major scratches or anything growing in it before you attempt to use it. And really, if anything is suspicious, throw it out. Any plastic is more susceptible to carrying germs. The bottle tree and vintnator should be fine regardless.

5. Misc. tubing- I'd throw it out and get new tubing. Nice to start fresh with soft plastic.

Latest posts

Back