Noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeetaman

Reaction score
Is the primary benefit of using all grain vs. LME/DME cost? Or is there other reasons for going all grain?

Cost is all relative, if you aren't taking in to consideration the extra equipment you are using. Some will say that you can get great taste with extract if you do it right, which includes a lot of special handling of LME, freshness factors, etc... All grain is more of a challenge, but it is easy to get great results... it's easier to manipulate a recipe using what you have on hand... so yea, there's a lot of reasons to go all grain. Also a lot of reasons to stay extract.

So for example I don't have a large brew pot, so that's one reason why I stick with extract

So for example I don't have a large brew pot, so that's one reason why I stick with extract

You can do smaller batches and do all grain. I have done a couple 2 gallon smashes with my 5 gallon pot. This way you could try things out before you make the upgrade.

Or is it just math? Can I follow the recipe for the Westy 12 recipe and just cut all ingredients by 60%?

Or is it just math? Can I follow the recipe for the Westy 12 recipe and just cut all ingredients by 60%?

Yep, just math.

Well... the one tricky part could be boil-off rate; you'll probably boil off a larger fraction of your total beer with such a small batch. But as long as you pay attention to your volumes into and out of the kettle, and top off accordingly, you should be fine.

I do lots of 2 1/2 gallon batches in my 5 gallon pot, BIAB. It only takes a paint strainer bag and you are doing an all grain mash.

Back