Noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealizm

Reaction score
1st brew Partial mash(Don't know if it matters)

7 days after pitching yeast would it be benificial to add sugar?
Or any other way to drop the FG,recipe calls for it to be a bit higher than i would like.
*also would it affect primeing at all by adding sugar?

Thanks for response

Why not let it go as is for now. Being your first brew you'll learn in the meantime by reading as much as you can in these forums.

/B

7 days after pitching yeast would it be benificial to add sugar?
Or any other way to drop the FG,recipe calls for it to be a bit higher than i would like.
*also would it affect primeing at all by adding sugar?

adding more sugar wouldn't effect priming. the yeast dunno what FG the recipe called for so unless you measure too high of an FG I wouldn't do anything to try to lower it.

yeah the recipe called for a 1.015 FG I just checked and it is at 1.010 id like a bit more abv.Took a little sample and it taste great though.Possibility it will continue to drop or is there no real way to tell but by checking in a week or so?

how much are you looking to bump the abv? if it tastes great now, i probably wouldnt mess with it tho

if you add too much sugar, thus shutting down yeast activity either because you get the gravity too high (unlikely) or you get passed the alcohol tolerance of the yeast and they die, then you won't be able to bottle carb the beer...but i don't think you will have that problem.

that said...what yeast is it and what is its alcohol tolerance.

to bump 1%..you should be fine to add sugar.

what you should take away from this experience though, is that you should adjust your recipe in the beginning to account for this. when you started out, it would have been better to add DME or something else that would contribute to the flavor of the beer in addition to driving the gravity up.

As the FG is 1.010, and the recipe was to be 1.015, isn't it already 0.6% higher ABV than what you thought it was going to be?
{premised on 1.050 OG}

Adding sugar can make it taste cidery & thin. As your FG is already lower than expected, I personally would not add any more sugar.

Anyways good luck.

DME can still be added just as easily as sugar.

in any case, it'll take just under 1lb to get it up another percent. you do realize if the recipe called for 1.015 and you're at 1.01 that it nearly went up a percent already right?

yeah the issue is when i took the OG i didnt take temp,then i didnt wana open it back up.and just now i also didnt take temp so im guessing temps.Ill probly just leave it.OG was 1.040.It was room temp so im going off 72 but i could be off.

Latest posts

Back