Noob Plan for Festa Brew Double Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, FG is where I want it, 1.020. Sample tasted a little like red wine, and buttery. A little nervous. Will bottle Sunday and hope for the best.

I think I sanitized well, I think I kept my temps in range (recorded high of 72). Thinking it is probably just green?

Apfelwein next I think.

Well, FG is where I want it, 1.020. Sample tasted a little like red wine, and buttery. A little nervous. Will bottle Sunday and hope for the best.

I think I sanitized well, I think I kept my temps in range (recorded high of 72). Thinking it is probably just green?

Apfelwein next I think.

Green is a given. Give it at least 3 weeks in the bottle, then put one in the fridge for a few days to test. If it still seems a bit flat, give them another week or 2.

@LTown

I would say that it is a little green, but you may also be tasting a few things the yeast haven't quite cleaned up yet.

I've done FestaBrew as well, and my main objection is that I'm a complete cheapskate.

As for costs... I have found that since my set up is about where it needs to be, my costs are hydro, water, and ingredients. Since I live (as well as you) in a jurisdiction where alcohol prices are ludicrous at best and oppressive at worst, I find that doing it myself is great for my wallet as well as my taste buds.

3 weeks for sure then. I will drink 6-8 the first night, on account of how it's my birthday and I wanna catch a buzz off my own beer!

Thanks for all the advice and reassurance fellas.

Hey, Noob here starting his first batch of Festa Brew Double Oatmeal Stout.
I'm so new I can honesly say I know nothing about beer making but when I saw that the Festa Brew instructions where so generic, I figured there had to be more to this.

I took the calculator www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html and according to them I should put 4.3 oz of Dextrose/Corn sugar in 6 US Gal (23L) at a temperature of 20 degrees celcius.

4.3 oz is around 3/4 cup for sugar. any suggestions in regards if I should do as Festa Brew says (1 cup to 1 1/2 cup) or go for the 4.3 oz ?

Thanks for your help

Hey, Noob here starting his first batch of Festa Brew Double Oatmeal Stout.
I'm so new I can honesly say I know nothing about beer making but when I saw that the Festa Brew instructions where so generic, I figured there had to be more to this.

I took the calculator www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html and according to them I should put 4.3 oz of Dextrose/Corn sugar in 6 US Gal (23L) at a temperature of 20 degrees celcius.

4.3 oz is around 3/4 cup for sugar. any suggestions in regards if I should do as Festa Brew says (1 cup to 1 1/2 cup) or go for the 4.3 oz ?

Thanks for your help

It depends on how much carbonation you want. 4.4 oz for six gallons at 70 degrees will give you 2.2 volumes of CO2 which is appropriate for that style of beer. Really anywhere between 4 and 5 oz will be okay.

It depends on how much carbonation you want. 4.4 oz for six gallons at 70 degrees will give you 2.2 volumes of CO2 which is appropriate for that style of beer. Really anywhere between 4 and 5 oz will be okay.

Thanks I appreciate your reply

Apfelwein next I think.

Quick question about the FG. In the instructions (yes I know everyone says NOT to read the instructions) but it says "FG should be around 1.009 to 1.018 depending on the bear type" WOW, now that is specific!

YOu mentioned that you wanted yours at 1.020, any reason for that? Mine has been there for 2 days now so I was thinking of bottling in 2 days (that is the only time I have to do it)

My process has gone like this:

Jan 30th: Pitched yeast (hydrated)
Feb 3rd: Transfered to secondary as krausen had fallen (gravity 1.022)
Feb 6th: Gravity 1.020
Feb 7th Gravity 1.020

Last thing, how did your beer turn out?

Quick question about the FG. In the instructions (yes I know everyone says NOT to read the instructions) but it says "FG should be around 1.009 to 1.018 depending on the bear type" WOW, now that is specific!

YOu mentioned that you wanted yours at 1.020, any reason for that? Mine has been there for 2 days now so I was thinking of bottling in 2 days (that is the only time I have to do it)

My process has gone like this:

Jan 30th: Pitched yeast (hydrated)
Feb 3rd: Transfered to secondary as krausen had fallen (gravity 1.022)
Feb 6th: Gravity 1.020
Feb 7th Gravity 1.020

Last thing, how did your beer turn out?

You may be at final gravity but the beer could be improved by letting it sit in your fermenter for another week before bottling. Give the yeast a chance to clean up.

You may be at final gravity but the beer could be improved by letting it sit in your fermenter for another week before bottling. Give the yeast a chance to clean up.

I've read on the web here and there the following rule of thumb

1, 2, 3.

1 week in primary
2 weeks secondary
3 weeks in bottles

how true is that?

I've read on the web here and there the following rule of thumb

1, 2, 3.

1 week in primary
2 weeks secondary
3 weeks in bottles

how true is that?

Some people may use that method. I used to, now I do not. I found that simply skipping the secondary and letting the beer stay in the primary for 3-4 weeks provides a better finished product. Then I go from the primary straight to the bottling bucket and bulk prime.

With this said, understand that this is a very polarizing topic on this forum. Some will tell you that this is not true. Revvy suggested this process, I tried it, found it to be superior and less fuss. Now I use it for all brews. I only use a secondary now only if i am adding fruit late in the process.

I throw in a little bit of bleach in my swamp cooler water just because i imagine mildew growing eventually.
Just passing on something I read about...
Bleach will kill mold and mildew to a point but not completelly, it will make some more resilliant mold stronger if its not 100% removed. The better alternative is actually white vinegar.
If anyone cares to weigh in on this I am happy to hear it.

Back