Noob needs help with fermentation issue!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtc99

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I'm quite new here, and have only brewed a few times...so hopefully someone help me out with the issue:

This brew is a "lawnmower beer" partial that I purchased from my local homebrew supply.

It started fermentation last night, but today, fermentation has been ferocious, as you can see from the pics

Is there any way to control this or is there something that I am doing wrong (quite likely)? The fermentation room is between 65 and 70 degrees F.

Thanks!!

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

Also, the first picture is from around 6:00 PM tonight, EST

The second is from around 9:10 tonight

You have an active fermentation. It's normal. You just need to clean up the mess, re-sanitize and attach a blowoff tube where the airlock is.

One way is to take your bottling wand, put a small slit in it...Heat it for a few minutes in hot water to soften, then do this.

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

But it happens to all of us...

ANother way is to stick a hose right in the grommet hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Revvy, thanks a million for the reply...

This is only my third brew, so I was quite concerned, as this has never happened before...

I don't have a blow off, but I've been removing the airlock, cleaning it, re-sanitizing, and then replacing the airlock; is this an okay practice? I am going to experiment with the bottling wand method

Thanks again for your help

I had the same concern when my third batch had the airlock explode off, and I found beer on the ceiling. (It was in the closet of a roommate who was out for a few weeks. Needless to say I had a big dry cleaning bill to clean that up for him)

I'm surprised they don't sell these kits with blow off tube instructions. Its clearly needed. It seems the learning curve is - use an airlock - beer explodes - learn about blow off tube.

I'm guessing that while the room may be 70 degrees or so, the fermentation is alot hotter! Feel the fermenter and see if it feels cool to the touch (it should). I'd see if I could check the temperature. They sell aquarium thermometer strips that you can stick on the outside to check the temperature.

Depending on the yeast strain, you probably want this beer under 65 degrees while it's fermenting. I'd put it in a tub of 62 degree water and see if it can be kept under control. I'd check the temperature, even with a sanitized thermometer because it sure seems like a "hot" fermentation.

happened to me last month. make a blowoff with any tubing you have and then you can switch back to an airlock in a couple of days.

I'm guessing that while the room may be 70 degrees or so, the fermentation is alot hotter! Feel the fermenter and see if it feels cool to the touch (it should). I'd see if I could check the temperature. They sell aquarium thermometer strips that you can stick on the outside to check the temperature.

Depending on the yeast strain, you probably want this beer under 65 degrees while it's fermenting. I'd put it in a tub of 62 degree water and see if it can be kept under control. I'd check the temperature, even with a sanitized thermometer because it sure seems like a "hot" fermentation.

This.

Being your third batch it needs to be said that your fermenting temp isnt quite controlled. A 5 degree difference is quite a bit. Especially when you figure that the temp INSIDE your bucket, where the action is taking place, can be 3-8 degrees hotter. That means the fermenting temp inside can be upwards of 75 degrees!

Go to the local dollar store and get one of those plastic totes and a $2 12 pack of bottled water. Fill the tote with cool water and freeze half the bottles. Toss the bottles in the tote as needed to keep the temperature more constant. It isnt perfect, but it does work better.

It took me a long while to figure this out man. My beer got a lot better after making an attempt to control fermentation temps. The only time I let my fermenting temps get past 70 is when I'm doing a Belgian that requires the extra spicy flavor....

Good luck

Thank you for all of the help!

I made a little rig to use as a blow off, so that problem has been solved.

As for the temperature, I changed my fermentation room to my cellar...I know that having too high of a fermentation temperature can alter the taste of the beer. Have I been swift enough in my actions to correct this, or is it too late? My last batch was fermented in my friends (co-brewer) basement and it had the plastic band aid taste (we called it our Poly-Propylene Brew), what are the odds that this will occur again?

Thanks again!!

Beyond temp control which is crucial for getting great beers is using a larger fermenter. The blow off set up is ok if you can't buy a bigger bucket but I'd consider spending the extra $$$ and go for a 8 gallon bucket and keep all your Krausen & yeast inside the fermenter.

Thanks for the great advice y'all, it really eased my concerns!

I am considering switching to glass carboys (the largest size available at my LHBS)

I had a similar concern this weekend.

First brew ever. Used a "Brewer's Best" kit for their Imperial Nut Brown Ale.

After pitching, it went 6-7 hours with no activity. I was like a kid on Christmas Eve just waiting to see some action.

Went to bed at 1:30am and still no activity. I know this is normal, but like I said. . .the first time is exciting, and I couldn't wait to see something happen.

Woke up at 8:30am and went to look, and had a scene very similar to the pictures earlier in this thread. Foam all over the floor. Needless to say, this was way more activity than I was looking for. :)

I removed the airlock, and it bubbled out vigorously until around 3:00 pm. I just left the airlock off until it finally settled down as so much was coming out. I figured so much was coming out that not much was going to get in.

I replaced the airlock at around 4:00 after sanitizing it again.

But now, no action again. I haven't seen a single bubble the entire time since replacing the airlock.

I'm guessing everything is fine and this is probably normal, but just looking for someone with experience to let me know this isn't unusual. Two weeks is an awful long time to sit around worrying. :)

I'm guessing everything is fine and this is probably normal, but just looking for someone with experience to let me know this isn't unusual. Two weeks is an awful long time to sit around worrying. :)

You have to try a lot harder than that to screw up your beer. :D I've seen stories of kids toys, cell phones, etc. found in the fermenter after racking and the beer was fine. RDWHAH(or C)B

Back