Noob Needs Help - Caution for Cleaning Brass Draught Faucets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeH

Reaction score
Hi all -

Long time lurker here, and I'm sure this is too basic for this forum... but I've been searching for an hour and haven't come up with a definitive answer yet.

I'm helping a friend do a quick refresh on a draught system at her employer's basement bar. The building was formerly a restaurant, but they're looking to fire up the old basement bar (it has been idle for years) as they're throwing a small party for a new client which is into beer. I've always been comfortable servicing my personal kegerator, but this system has thrown me for a small loop: its draught tower and faucets are (fairly badly tarnished) brass.

I think we can clean the brass up and get it looking good, but I'm concerned about cleaning/sanitizing the brass faucets. We are going to replace the beer lines and sanitize them with either StarSan or IO Star (I'll take your recommendation), but I have heard that un-plated brass requires caution. I know it can contribute a metallic flavor to the beer, but I've also read that some sanitizers should be used with caution on brass. Any tips here? This setup will be used infrequently, but this particular event is a big deal for my friend and she needs it to go well. Any tips would be appreciated :mug:

how many taps. if you are doing new lines, might be better to replace the faucets as well seeing that you can get them new for 10 dollars each and save your self the trouble, or get chrome plated brass for the same price. Yes, stainless would be better, but those are more than 10 dollars, and at that point, might want to go with intertap or perlick...

Thanks for the reply. It's only two taps, but it sounds like they want to stick with the brass look unfortunately. I can try to verify that, but that's the feeling I got. Is it hopeless?

Any brass polish should do for the outside. You should disassemble them and check the inside for green corrosion. Vinegar will probably remove it. Read the metals section of Palmer's How to Brew. You can find it free online if you don't have a copy.

Awesome - thanks for the info, guys. Sounds like there aren't major concerns in terms of flavor or damaging the brass with a sanitizer, so I'll take your recommendation on the brass polish and go from there.

Thank you all!

Back