Noob kegging question, basic procedure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
I think I have everything to keg now, I just bought a Ranco controller and a corny.

After racking the beer to the keg, can I close the lid and simply turn the pressure to 12 PSI, and then put it into the kegerator? I've read a lot of "how to's" on kegging, and most require turning the pressure to around 20 psi, and then rolling the keg on its side to expose more of the beer to the CO2 inside.

Also, to purge the O2 out of the keg after racking, do I just open the valve, turn the gas on and give it a few minutes?

Thanks.

Rack your beer.

Hook up the gas after the lid is seated.

Bleed the pressure valve several time to burp out any oxygen.

If you're in a hurry to carb and drink...set the PSI to 30 for 48 hours...no shaking.

Drop the PSI to serving. Bleed that excess pressure again and test.

If you have time to wait and the beer need additional conditioning time...set the PSI to 12 and leave it be for 10 days +.

I'll have to get some of that stuff. Thanks for the tip.

My keg holds pressure just fine, but there are some dents. When I look inside, there are 2 pushed up sections on the very bottom. Will these cause any long term problems? I could always take it back and exchange it, if I have to.

Back