nOOb here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmith915

Reaction score
Just started tasting my first batch, a DIPA from a kit, not too bad. Hoppy nose and almost overly hoppy(if that's possible) but has some nice malt to it also. Looking forward to finding some unique recipes and trying them before going out on my own to create my own. This seems like a great place to be for ideas and experience to get to where I want to be. Look forward to sharing with the community. Cheers!

Overly hoppy could be a sign of you drinking it WAY to soon, as most of us probably do. Bitterness won't fade but flavor and aroma will be more balanced after it has aged for some time. How old is it?

Just started tasting my first batch, a DIPA from a kit, not too bad. Hoppy nose and almost overly hoppy(if that's possible) but has some nice malt to it also. Looking forward to finding some unique recipes and trying them before going out on my own to create my own. This seems like a great place to be for ideas and experience to get to where I want to be. Look forward to sharing with the community. Cheers!

Overly hoppy is the hallmark of this style. Not sure you can overdo it...

Thanks for the feedback, I guess overly hoppy wasn't the right descriptor, but a harshness. Don't remember the exact kit as everything was discarded after brewing. I will take better notes on my next batch.

Overly hoppy could be a sign of you drinking it WAY to soon, as most of us probably do. Bitterness won't fade but flavor and aroma will be more balanced after it has aged for some time. How old is it?

Wait a minute..... I thought "Fresh Beer Tastes Better" That is why major brewers have born on dates.

* Note the sarcasm

Many things can determine a beers flavor, and hop character is something that has a few variables affecting it. Right off the top of my head, of course, you got hop varieties, hopping amounts and addition timing, water chemistry, etc.

Perhaps if you post your recipe and/or water profile we can help you narrow down the reason for the harshness. (And to be fair, some people prefer a harsher IPA...)

I prefer to drink my IPAs sooner than later. As soon as they're carbed I want them gone within a month. After a month they all taste like commercial garbage

Ok, so where did I go wrong? Half of my brews are nicely carb'd while the other half so far had been under. Not enough priming sugar, not mixed enough, drank too early? Primed my DIPA with 1oz priming sugar per gallon.

Homercidal said:
Many things can determine a beers flavor, and hop character is something that has a few variables affecting it. Right off the top of my head, of course, you got hop varieties, hopping amounts and addition timing, water chemistry, etc.

Perhaps if you post your recipe and/or water profile we can help you narrow down the reason for the harshness. (And to be fair, some people prefer a harsher IPA...)

Don't have the recipe anymore since it was a boxed recipe kit for my first. Figured, how can f*ck this up. LoL to my surprise, easily! With a strong kitchen background I totally understand the concepts and the times, temps, sanitation, etc.

Ok, so where did I go wrong? Half of my brews are nicely carb'd while the other half so far had been under. Not enough priming sugar, not mixed enough, drank too early? Primed my DIPA with 1oz priming sugar per gallon.

I've got to guess that maybe the priming sugar wasn't mixed in well, or some of the bottles weren't kept warm enough to carb well. Is there any rhyme or reason to which ones are undercarbed and which ones are perfect?

I feel as though the bottles that were bottles off the bottom of the fermenter are less carb'd then others.
I did a 5 gallon batch and by bottling time I got 13 bombers and 4- 6 packs. I kept them all together in the basement after I capped them.

I feel as though the bottles that were bottles off the bottom of the fermenter are less carb'd then others.
I did a 5 gallon batch and by bottling time I got 13 bombers and 4- 6 packs. I kept them all together in the basement after I capped them.

ok, how did you do your priming solution and mix that into your bottling bucket?

Stovetop, dissolved 5oz of priming sugar into 1cup of water. Brought to a slight boil then cooled and added. Stirred in for 3-4 minutes being sure to full agitate the mix.

Stovetop, dissolved 5oz of priming sugar into 1cup of water. Brought to a slight boil then cooled and added. Stirred in for 3-4 minutes being sure to full agitate the mix.

Did you use a bottling bucket, and then rack the beer into the bottling bucket, so that it would swirl and mix? Adding it to the bucket and stirring usually doesn't mix it well.

Did you use a bottling bucket, and then rack the beer into the bottling bucket, so that it would swirl and mix? Adding it to the bucket and stirring usually doesn't mix it well.

I usually don't know how much beer I have so use my bottling bucket to measure...then I add the right amount of sugar water and stir.

Back