noob from RVA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudsy426

Reaction score
So I've been interested in home brew for quite some time now. Several years ago I got a Mr beer and was unhappy with the results. Fast forward three years and last month my wife for me a nice beginners setup from a lhbs, complete with an extract kit classic brown ale. Today I finally took the plunge and made my first batch. Here's to new hobbies. And an edible creation in a month or so. Cheers.

Welcome to the group, from CO, congrats on the first batch. The forum stickies and the wiki have lots of great, free info. Ask lots of questions, this is a helpful and knowledgeable community.

Hello and welcome from a fellow brewer in RVA! Congrats on the first batch. Come by Mekong July 10th for our homebrew club meeting if you can. More details on the site http://jrhb.org/

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I actually deal with weekend brewer as its about 15 minutes from me.

So I took reading to see where my brew is at. OG=1.070 tad high based on numbers with kit

Current gravity is 1.024 instructions say FG=1.014 guess I've got more waiting and checking to do. I tasted sample and while not carbed it tasted very similar to style I was going for but had a slight strong alcohol taste. Reckon all is well with this first batch.

Sudsy426 said:
So I took reading to see where my brew is at. OG=1.070 tad high based on numbers with kit

Current gravity is 1.024 instructions say FG=1.014 guess I've got more waiting and checking to do. I tasted sample and while not carbed it tasted very similar to style I was going for but had a slight strong alcohol taste. Reckon all is well with this first batch.

You're already at around 6% ABV. If you started high, chances are you will end high as well. Also things tend to mellow out while it ages so I suspect it will simply get better! But hey, regardless, you've made beer!

So I checked gravity late today it's been two days at 68-70. Gravity is solid at 1.024. Maybe I can attach some pictures. Lots of bubbles just hanging out on top with what is similar to an oil slick, researched oil slick and looks like either the no rinse I used our hop oils either way sounds ok. Guess if all stays steady I'll bottle this weekend.

ForumRunner_20130708_190229.jpg

ForumRunner_20130708_190244.jpg

That looks normal to me. Since you started out high on your gravity I'm not surprised it finished at 1.024. But it should leave some nice residual sweetness if you like that sort of thing! That's the beauty of brewing though, sometimes our mistakes turn into wonderful recipes. And hey, if you don't like it, let me know and I'll come down and pick it up. :mug:

Realized I wasn't going to be able to bottle for a while so decided to transfer to secondary yesterday. This morning I have airlock activity which I understand doesn't mean fermentation just pressure relief.what troubles me is the foam or what have you that has accumulated last night. Big white patches of what looks to be dense foam.doesn't look fuzzy or anything so maybe I'm ok.I would hate to bottle this in a week or so only to have an undrinkable. Opinions advice ridicule expertise are all very welcome.help this noob. Thanks everyone.

ForumRunner_20130712_054212.png

ForumRunner_20130712_054221.jpg

ForumRunner_20130712_054253.png

ForumRunner_20130712_054324.png

ForumRunner_20130712_054356.jpg

Looks like more fermentation activity to me. When you racked, you might have agitated the yeast and kick started them a bit. I would not bottle this weekend, let it ride and your gravity might come down to where you had expected it. You've got a pretty big headspace in that carboy so make sure to keep the airlock in place, that should keep a nice blanket of new CO2 inside.

Thanks for the quick response.I have two concerns with the action going on.
One, the carboy I transferred to was old and dirty but I soaked it for three days in oxyclean and then before transferring added very hot water and some no rinse sanitizer. I'm curious if there was still possible contamination I know cleaning is the most important step. Two, when I transferred from bucket to carboy using spigot I noticed some bubbles which made me think I was getting air in the mix. Those two things have me concerned I might be growing a bitter beast on my brew. I'll let it sit a week or two and see what happens.

Some how I doubt it. That foam doesn't look like anything bad. You transferred from the spigot? Did you attach a tube to it? I would consider getting an auto siphon. The spigot could have also been below your yeast that dropped out and agitated them as the previous person mentioned. The auto siphon will allow you to grab all the liquid above the yeast cake much easier.

Yea, after extensive research thanks to this site I just relaxed and had a brew. Looks like bad stuff didn't form that much that quick anywhere in here I could find, not did they look like what I have. But yes I attached tubing which was clean, to the spigot and transferred by setting it in bottom of carboy. I think I'm just excited and anxious for my first brew to turn out right. Groner maybe when I get this stuff bottled we can trade and compare.

And as far as the yeast being sucked in the spigot I tilted bucket back slightly to stop as much as possible and left almost a half gallon in the bucket to try and leave trub behind.

So it's been a week since I transferred to secondary and all the action on top is gone. I took a reading today and it has dropped from 1.024 to 1.018 by my math that makes this at 8%roughly. Still tasted very similar to what it is a clone of. All is well

Sudsy426 said:
So it's been a week since I transferred to secondary and all the action on top is gone. I took a reading today and it has dropped from 1.024 to 1.018 by my math that makes this at 8%roughly. Still tasted very similar to what it is a clone of. All is well

I'm getting 6.83% from those figures. How did you calculate it?

Sudsy426 said:
So a fizzy taste before carbing is a Sign of???

There will be some residual CO2 from fermentation. Since your bucket was essentially a sealed container with a little bit of pressure relief from the airlock. You need to account for that residual CO2 when carbing. There are calculators online to do this. Here is one I used before I got iBrewmaster for my iPad:

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

You'll notice that the temperature at which you fermented is a factor. This is because that temperature affects the amount of residual CO2.

Almost finished!

Bottled today came in at just under 4 gallons bottled using that app I came up with a need for about 2.44 oz of sugar.

ForumRunner_20130720_144934.jpg

Sudsy426 said:
Bottled today came in at just under 4 gallons bottled using that app I came up with a need for about 2.44 oz of sugar.

Nice job!

You'll be tempted to try one after a week, I promise, it pays off to wait!

Ok so go figure been a week almost and i couldnt wait, i actually set aside three bottles to test once a week. And guess what, i got excited and tried not one but two tonight with a major difference in bottles. Bottle one i chilled for several hours and then shared with my father, both of us enjoyed it immensely. The taste was spot on to the clone. Bottle two i chilled in freezer just long enough to cool and enjoyed with my brother, this bottle smelled of bananas and tasted of them as well, it wasnt overpowering but it was most definitely noticeable. How do bottles of same brew taste so different? Did the slow cooling of the first bottle remove the flavor that was present in the first one? I have one more set aside and im debating on chilling that one and trying. I know i should just relax and wait it out but im curious what the majority of my batch is going to taste like. Cheers

Sudsy426 said:
Ok so go figure been a week almost and i couldnt wait, i actually set aside three bottles to test once a week. And guess what, i got excited and tried not one but two tonight with a major difference in bottles. Bottle one i chilled for several hours and then shared with my father, both of us enjoyed it immensely. The taste was spot on to the clone. Bottle two i chilled in freezer just long enough to cool and enjoyed with my brother, this bottle smelled of bananas and tasted of them as well, it wasnt overpowering but it was most definitely noticeable. How do bottles of same brew taste so different? Did the slow cooling of the first bottle remove the flavor that was present in the first one? I have one more set aside and im debating on chilling that one and trying. I know i should just relax and wait it out but im curious what the majority of my batch is going to taste like. Cheers

Hard to say, they should all be the same considering you did everything the same way at the same time. The only factor is the cooling so that really should be the only variable. I can't say why cooler one faster than the other would make a difference but if they were indeed at different temperatures when you tried them then that could certainly explain it.

So these have been resting room temp for almost two weeks and I popped them in the fridge on the first. Cracked one today and had the clone side by side, has less head maybe little more time will help that but colour and flavor is pretty much spot on. Very nice for my first 5gal homebrew. Thanks everyone for tips comments and advice this place is great. Cheers

ForumRunner_20130803_104716.jpg

Homebrew on right clone on left. Legend brown ale

Latest posts

Back