Noob Contest Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetothemo

Reaction score
OK. I know I don't stand a chance at placing at this thing.... but I entered a brew in the Slurp N Burp homebrew contest here in Oregon.

I entered because wanted to get some constructive feedback from the judges, etc. I've only been brewing extract/grains and some partial mash since Christmas...so I don't expect to be winning awards here. I'm just looking for some constructive criticism and some areas of improvement.

My questions:

What should I expect from this thing?

The event is from 9-4pm (awards at 4:30). Is anything of value happening between 9-4?

What does one do at a homebrew contest? Watch people drink beer?

Should I bother attending?

Should I just sit and wait for my score sheets to be delivered?

9-4: Field research! I imagine other homebrewers will be in attendance? taste their brews, ask questions, that's what I (as a noob) would do.

Absolutely go. Taste others' beers. Get drunk. Talk about mash temps and alpha acids. You'll have a blast.

I went to one last year here in Bend with the same thing in mind as you. Get some constructive criticism on some of my early brews.

I went home with 2 blue ribbons! Good luck.

This question is probably better suited for the contact on the website you linked. I'm sure every competition is different. The one I went to was actually a festival which had a homebrew competition, so there was alot of other things to do.

I can't gather much information from the website but there is a contact us link, which would be my first thought for more info about the event.

This question is probably better suited for the contact on the website you linked. I'm sure every competition is different. The one I went to was actually a festival which had a homebrew competition, so there was alot of other things to do.

I can't gather much information from the website but there is a contact us link, which would be my first thought for more info about the event.

I did email. But this group is so great about sharing their experience and insight, I wanted to know what you all have seen/done at homebrew competitions.

So, did you go and if you did how did you do?

I went last year and didn't do so good, however, we bought a bunch of raffle tickets and won a whole bunch of stuff!

This year I went but got there at the end of the raffle and could not buy tickets so that did not work but my American Stout took 3rd, my very first medal!! Yeah:ban:

^^ Congrats!

Spring Fling over in Bend on the same weekend. Porter. :rockin:

CarPort_Porter_Ribbon.jpg

I tried a competition once. There will be a lot of activity (and drinking). You will only get noticed IMHO if you have something great.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/what-i-thinking-165148/

I have better luck with asking friends who can talk beer for their comments. Do it in a casual low pressure situation. It's fun.

I'd like to hear how it goes for you though.

Good luck.

should be a good experience. i am entering my first all grain that i did a couple months ago in the indiana brewer's cup. it's a baltic porter (best beer i have had), i may enter my foriegn extra stout, it's gonna be great too. i also am curious of how the contest thing goes. good luck to you

I was not able to go...we had family in town all weekend. I did not medal. My beer was an American Ale and I didn't expect to medal with it. Just waiting on those score sheets now!

Next time!

Latest posts

Back