Noob cider making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnyfarmer

Reaction score
I'm picking apples today and juicing tomorrow. I've found loads of helpful info on here and instructables. But I can't seem to get any clear direction on sterilizing and bottleing.
First things first. Can I just boil my old plastic juice bottles and siphon and what have you. Can I pour boiling water in my 6gallon brew barrel. Or do I need to get some of that sterilizing powder stuff from my LHBS(lady there was less than helpful)

As far As bottling goes I got a couple weeks to figure it out. But I've seen people say to use 2L soda bottles, old juice bottles(which is what I want to do. I'm cheap and have lots on hand) I'm trying to get glass gallon and half gallon jugs(but proving to be difficult & expensive) etc. If I don't carb what do I have to do to keep indefinitely in jugs. People have been doing this for hundreds if not thousands of years. I can't believe it's so difficult but I don't wanna juice 2hundred pounds of apples just to eff it up.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have more questions to follow.

I'm fairly new to this myself, so feel free to discount my response.

For sanitizing, you should be fine using just household bleach & water (1 teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water). This might be frowned upon, but there were times when I was feeling lazy and only rinsed everything out with boiling water. I didn't encounter any problems, but it's better to use the bleach & water just to be certain.

I haven't carbed my ciders and I keep them in gallon and half gallon glass jugs. I found, however, that the cider tastes its best when I open up a jug for the first time. So unless you're planning on going through a whole gallon in a relatively short period of time, it might be better to store it in smaller containers.

I guess this forum is the right place to start.

I have never been making any alcohol before, and I could do with a little help.
I made some apple juice from the trees in my garden, and after looking at some videos on Youtube I decided to put it on a old 25 L glass bottle.
I added some sugar, some cider yeast an it is standing bobbling in my basement with a airlock on.

my question is should there be this bubbling layer of foam on it? (please look at the attached picture)

2013-10-04 16.39.30.jpg

I guess this is the right place to start.

I have never been making any alcohol before an I am completely new to this, and I could do with some help.
I made some juice from the trees in my garden and after looking at some videos at Youtube I decided to put it in a 25 L vine jug. I added some sugar, some special cider yeast and it is now standing bubbling in my basement.

My question is should there be this bubbling layer of foam on it? If there shouldn't what should I do about it?

nielsfs said:
I guess this forum is the right place to start. I have never been making any alcohol before, and I could do with a little help. I made some apple juice from the trees in my garden, and after looking at some videos on Youtube I decided to put it on a old 25 L glass bottle. I added some sugar, some cider yeast an it is standing bobbling in my basement with a airlock on. my question is should there be this bubbling layer of foam on it? (please look at the attached picture)
it is fermenting enjoy!

Latest posts

Back