Nonstop cider fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les2point0

Reaction score
Hey there, question you guys. I am very new to cider, but not homebrewing so thid may be quite normal. I am currently fermenting a cider that is sixty percent trader joes unfiltered blend cider, twenty trader joes pasturized macintosh juice, and twenty percent pasterized cider I cannot remember the name of. No preservatives. Also I added a pound and a half organic brown sugar and five pounds frozen blueberries in a "why the heck not" moment. I made a starter 24hrs prior and hit it with the campden tablets. I used WLP007 dry englishnale yeast (I like to pucker). I had no fermentation after 24 hours, then bubbles every couple minutes the following dsy. The third day its bubbles every second or two, and it has been that way for over three weeks. Is it normal to be chugging that hard that long? I started at 66 degrees and raised it to 70 to try and finish the fermentation but it doesnt want to stop. Thoughts?

Bubbling in the airlock does not necessarily indicate it's still fermenting. Take a gravity reading and see where you're at. Being juices are mostly fermentable simple sugars I would think after 3 weeks your fermentation is complete. Your airlock can keep bubbling for a multitude of reasons. Temp changes, disturbances knocking co2 out of solution. Atmospheric pressure changes, etc etc. Not necessarily due to continued fermentation. Does your cider still have Krausen on top or is it clearing?

Sent from somewhere to someone

The cider is not clearing, and no krausen fully formed because of the blueberries sitting on top, but there was separation between the berries so I know tge reaction was there. And the cider juice I used was most very very cloudy, which csn explain clarity. Maybe?

Best thing you can do is to take a gravity reading a few days in a row. Seems like it would just be degassing by now. Or, just try racking to secondary and running the cider down the side of the carboy to release CO2. It can also take a long time to clear without adding clearing agents, just let it wait or bottle cloudy.

Did you add the blueberries whole, or pureed? It's not uncommon for secondary beer fermentations with whole fruit to have airlock activity for 3+ weeks as the yeast slowly eat the "layers" of sugar in the whole fruit. The same would apply to cider if it's whole fruit.

I added them to the primary, actually. And thry were whole. This all makes a lot of semse thanks you guys.

Back