non-weld element hole plug?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelawlost

Reaction score
When I thought I would switch to electric 100% of the time, I turned my previous outdoor brew kettle into my HLT, with a weld-less element installed. I've since switched to an ebiab setup, so the HLT isn't necessary. So I was thinking I may like to brew outside occasionally when the weather is nice. Is there a reliable way to plug the element hole that doesn't require welding, so that I can repurpose this kettle? Or should I start looking for a welder or sales on new pots?

In case it is important, it is a rather skinny Bayou Classic pot, something like only 13 inches diameter.

Thanks.

You could silver solder a flange and use a tri-clamp cap. Bobby at www.brewhardware.com carries all the parts, and even has a "how to" video on silver soldering.

If it's a standard water heater element, then you have a 1" NPS clearance hole. You could plug it by replacing the water heater element with a 1" NPS or NPT hex head plug, using your existing weldless nut and o-ring on the inside.

1" NPT plugs are under $10 on McMaster, and are probably cheaper elsewhere.

If it's a standard water heater element, then you have a 1" NPS clearance hole. You could plug it by replacing the water heater element with a 1" NPS or NPT hex head plug, using your existing weldless nut and o-ring on the inside.

1" NPT plugs are under $10 on McMaster, and are probably cheaper elsewhere.

This is what I am doing for a element hole I want to move. I am using the o-ring and nut that brewhardware sells for the heater element. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

I have a tig welder, but I am not proficient with SS

Chris

bargain fittings has a 1" 1/2" reducer that i was planning on using as well.

Back