Non Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robar

Reaction score
Hey anyone else having something other than turkey today? It's just her and I today and she had to work until 3:30pm so it was up to me. Here is what it is...
(And yes everything is on time and no major problems)

Porterhouse steaks on the grill
Sauteed portobello mushrooms and onions
Green been casserole
Baked sweet potatoes
Polish Roses

Sweet potato pie with whipped cream for desert.

What non traditional Thanksgiving day meal are you having?

Im having a traditional one, but my business partner is going to the local seafood place, they are setting up buffett of prime rib, seafood, and salads of course with tons of sides. I wish I would have gone haha.

Prime beef tenderloin
Cream cheese mashed potatoes
Green beans with shallot and garlic
Home made rolls with rosemary and sea salt

Am visiting swmbos' parents for a couple of nights and we ended up having Thanksgiving dinner at the finest buffet available in this small Iowa town. The food was pretty good, but not the same as cooking at home.

Speaking of tradition vs. no traditional, the meal did give me an opportunity to bore my 19 and 22 year old sons with tales of Thanksgiving and Christmas meals from my childhood - specifically the prominence of ham at those meals. Turkey made an occasional appearance, but ham was the primary celebratory main course in my corner of rural Iowa. These stories were met with rapt attention and glee ;)

We hardly ever have traditional holiday meals. The whole family is too picky and nobody agrees on anything so we usually have lasagna. My grandma makes some crazy good pasta and lasagna so rather than making ham, turkey, and whatever else everybody wants since nobody agrees, we just stick with lasagna. I never complain about grandma's lasagna but I definitely miss the leftover traditional thanksgiving stuff.

We have the traditional dinner/lunch at the MIL's house with the wife's family. I love it. I'd be fine with pretty much anything, though...

Last night at home we reheated some turkey that I roasted last wed. and the wife and daughter made the rest of the meal, Mashed taters, gravy, green bean casserole, stuffing...

I'm seriously concerned I might have too much food in the fridge right now. I might have to take some of this to my friend who doesn't have a lot.

Latest posts

Back