Non Keezer, Keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
So I recently had an idea/requirement that I wanted to incorporate on my next kegerator (whether it be a mini fridge or keezer). I already have in the works to make it more advanced and have it monitor the amount in the kegs (estimated through either flow meter or load cells).

I have a couple questions for the second part of the idea. Which is to not cool the kegs and rather cool the liquid as it is poured (like a jockey box)

Is there any long term effects at keeping the beer around room temp for long periods. Wouldnt get warm, but would be room temp?

My thought process on this would be to have a cold plate, that instead of being covered in ice would be mounted to a large peltier (or a series of smaller ones). Then my kegerator would have a switch. I could save energy by only chilling the cold plate when Im about to pour. Because peltiers create the temp dev quickly and the conductivity of metal, wouldnt have to wait long for it to be ready.

Anyone try something like this or seen it, I did a quick search to see if I could find something similar but got nothing

Beer will age faster at room temps. I suppose this could be a good thing if you chug barleywines, but would be a negative if you like hoppy beers as they'd age out faster.

Also, room temperature pretty much takes force carbing out of your bag of tricks for heavily carbed ales. My general rule of thumb for force carbing is 3x serving pressure for 24 hours usually gets me pretty darn close. At 39F, a 2.5 vol ale would serve at 12 psi (force carb at 36 psi). At 65F, that same 2.5 vol ale would serve at 29 psi (force carb at 81 psi... yikes!). At 70F or 75F, the picture gets even worse (and the pressure charts don't go high enough to be of use).

I dont force carb so that isnt an issue, but the aging is good to know. I didnt think it mattered because it was all sealed up, but thats why I ask questions

Back