"Non-Grapefruit" Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miraculix

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was just thinking about my next upcoming brews and the hops I could be using in those. I brewed a lot with those "grapefruit hops" like Citra and maybe Cascade, but I do not know much about all the other Aroma directions that do exist, those which do not include those grapefruit notes.

I know about the German varieties like Hallertauer, which taste more herbal and earthy (I really like Hallertauer Mittelfrueh), Check Saaz is about the same direction and I guess the classic english varieties also go in the same direction, broadly spoken.

But what else do we got? What are the main "go to hops" when something not coming out of the grapefruit basket is needed? I do not really know a specific direction I want to go, this thread is more like a combined brain storming to gather a bit of the swarm intelligence so that I get a few ideas about the next hops I should considder in my more hop forward brews like IPAs, pale ales and co.

Thanks for your input guys!

Look into Bramling cross

Can use it in English ipa’ s, porter, barley wine, rye ales, a lot of options.....

Last edited:
Nelson Sauvin is an interesting one. The flavor is MUCH different from the grapefruity hops. One of my favorite recipes bitters with Brewer's Gold and then a NS addition @ 5 min and dry hopping with more of it after fermentation.

They say that it tastes like white wine, but I'm not really sure that's quite right. Fruity but not grapefruity, though.

My favorite non-citrusy hops are columbus, east kent golding (or any golding variety), hallertau, hersbrucker, sazz, fuggle, and perle.

My favourite hop is amarillo, although I have to admit I only dry hopped with it so far, very fruity citrus like flavours! I also like Saaz for aroma added late in the boil, not a grapefruity hop either.

I like amarillo to, used it as a late addition and dry. Peachy stuff!

Are there hops that are fruity without grapefruit or lemon flavour? Maybe more like dark berries?

I love me some tettnanger with saaz.. if you want citrus my fav are probably mandarina bavaria. Mosaic is fun in a wheat with an ester laden yeast.

I did a pale ale with Idaho 7 last summer. The hop flavors are described as "apricot, resiny pine and black tea." I think there may be some citrus in there, but the pine/tea seems dominant to my taste buds. It's kind of a sleeper, but have seen a few local brewers using it.

El Dorado is pretty great in pale ales. It's fruity, but not in a particularly citrusy way. It pairs really well with Mosaic, another delicious not-too-citrusy hop

I did a pale ale with Idaho 7 last summer. The hop flavors are described as "apricot, resiny pine and black tea." I think there may be some citrus in there, but the pine/tea seems dominant to my taste buds. It's kind of a sleeper, but have seen a few local brewers using it.
That one really sounds interesting. I will try to order this the next time I order ingredients. I really like piny / black tea flavour. Thanks!

I like the clean orange flavor I get from that one. It is not strong, but it makes a nice presence. Never have gotten grapefruit from it. One of my favorite hops.

I really enjoyed the almost SMaSH I brewed with strisselspalt hops. They’re described as having a black currant character and I think that’s about the right ballpark.

Back