No yeast sediment in bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscbert

Reaction score
I have been bottle conditioning my pale ale for two weeks at around 65 degrees.

When I hold the bottles to the light they are still clear and there is no visible sediment at the bottom. I did put one in the fridge last week an opened it two days later. After I poured it there was yeast sediment floating around.

Is it normal for me to not see any yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottles?

P.S The bottle that I did open was conditioned for week, sat in the fridge for two days. It had mild carbonation which I expected, so the yeast is working.

yea its normal. when you put the bottle in the fridge you are essentially cold crashing the beer. while warm the yeast are floating around carbing the beer. when you stick it in the fridge the yeast go dormant and fall out of suspension and sit on the bottom.

PS: you should let the bottle sit for a week in the fridge before drinking to ensure all the yeast have settled out of the beer.

It's really neither normal, or abnormal....some beers/yeast combos create more bottle sediment than others. It's really not a big deal either way. And it doesn't mean a beer will be any more or less carbonated that another batch.

It just means, don't worry about it, everything's fine.

:mug:

Great! Thanks for the answers! 1 week in the fridge is a long time. I am too impatient. I am going to put one in the fridge again tonight and try on Saturday.

I usually get a thin, compact, even layer of sediment at the bottoms of my bottles so it's really hard to see it, even when I shine a light through the bottle. But it's there when I pour.

The bottles will certainly carb faster if you can bring the temperature up to 70 or so. That's not ambient in my house at this time of year, so patience works too.

Just transfer to another bottle they have a lot of them in just a little bit of sugar maybe low citric acid Another two days warm today it's cold we should cap real quick though You should be left with a nice crystal clear beer, but if u do use this method i suggest plastic bottles unless u got my mad bottling skills lol

Just transfer to another bottle they have a lot of them in just a little bit of sugar maybe low citric acid Another two days warm today it's cold we should cap real quick though You should be left with a nice crystal clear beer, but if u do use this method i suggest plastic bottles unless u got my mad bottling skills lol

You should work on your mad run on sententce skills. I really could not understand what you're trying to say there. Transfer, a little sugar, citric acid, cap really quick.....what? :confused:

What?

Great first post...

You bumped a 4 year old thread to say what?

Seriously, I'm sure his beer has long been consumed. Besides there's really no way to "transfer to another bottle" in a way that wouldn't seriously risk infection or oxidation.

zombie-thread.jpg

Latest posts

Back