No yeast! Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVESKI

Reaction score
I was brewing a chocolate stout extract kit and started steeping my grains when I went into the refrigerator to take out my yeast to work on rehydrating it. It wasn't there. Looks like SWMBO might have mistaken it for flower food or something and threw it all away.

All my homebrew shops around me are closed on Sunday. Pretty convenient since almost everybody brews on Saturday and Sundays.

So, now what? I didn't put in any of the extract yet, so I'm really just out the specialty grains. Do I just toss it and buy more of the grains and do this again next weekend or can I salvage this by finishing it off some time this week when I can get some yeast?

Again, I just finished the steeping process and has never gone to a boil yet. I don't want to ruin the rest of the ingredients by trying to salvage this but wouldn't mind saving the money if there is no harm to picking this back up again in a few days.

I think you can brew as planned and pitch tomorrow when the store is open. Sounds like the method the" no chill" brewers use. Just be sure you're up on sanitation.

+1 What they said.

When you are your LHBS tomorrow, buy two yeast packs. I always keep an emergency -04 and -05 in the fridge, just in case.

Cover it in your primary and put the airlock on. Get the yeast ASAP and pitch tomorrow. Just make sure you aerate again. Re-sanitize your brew kettle and pour the wort a few times back and forth. Then pitch.

So you guys think I should go through with the boil? I have to work tomorrow so the earliest I could add yeast would be around 4 or 5pm.

I'm just hesitant to go through with the boil and add the extract.

So you guys think I should go through with the boil? I have to work tomorrow so the earliest I could add yeast would be around 4 or 5pm.

I'm just hesitant to go through with the boil and add the extract.

As long as you keep it sealed it should be fine

Back