No wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meehan20

Reaction score
Using a Coopers malt extract, water, Sugar In boiling water I added that to my bucket. Adding the cold water. While waiting for temps to get low enough to add my yeast I notices my wort has now disappeared. It's not what I see online here where it's a little bubbly and such. It appears flat. When I add my yeast will the wort form again or become present?

It's

image-2830813728.jpg

image-3648862506.jpg

Ya it will foam up. How long did you leave it?

I have used Coopers for 5 kits now and when i mix everything i usually have foam. But i did let one sit for a bit once because of my wort temperature and the foam was going away.

You want to learn how to get your temp in pitching zone quickly. Thats why the instructuons suggest a run without the ingredients. The wort is at risk of infection.

I'd pitch the yeast and wait and see.

It was left alone for about 15minutes with the lid sitting loosely ontop of it. Pitched slightly on the high side 89 degrees. I wanted to get the lid on there the second it was under the required 90 degrees.

what you're looking at right there is wort. wort is the sugar/water combo that the yeast turn into beer.

if you're referring to krausen, that's the thick gnarly-looking stuff that forms on top of the fermenting beer. that's gonna take a while for the yeast to create

Next time ill want to use much colder water and probably won't have this problem again. I wanted to make sure that if I didn't see any bubbles that it would still fermate.

This is my first attempt at this. I hope it comes out drinkable! :)

GrogNerd said:
what you're looking at right there is wort. wort is the sugar/water combo that the yeast turn into beer.

if you're referring to krausen, that's the thick gnarly-looking stuff that forms on top of the fermenting beer. that's gonna take a while for the yeast to create

Thank you, that is what I was hoping for :) I mixed the term wort and krausen up.

Still learning. Haha. I used Coopers Draught as my first attempt at this.

I like to top off with ice cold spring water that in winter gets stored in the garage. But I also use plain DME in the boil for hop additions,saving the Cooper's LME can for flame out to mix it in in the brew kettle. Steep covered a few minutes to pasteurize,since it was still boiling hot at flame out. And pasteurization happens at 162f,steeping will work. Then into the sink for an ice bath down to 70-75F. When mixed with the top off water in the fermenter,I can easilly get the wort down to 64F or lower.

unionrdr said:
I like to top off with ice cold spring water that in winter gets stored in the garage. But I also use plain DME in the boil for hop additions,saving the Cooper's LME can for flame out to mix it in in the brew kettle. Steep covered a few minutes to pasteurize,since it was still boiling hot at flame out. And pasteurization happens at 162f,steeping will work. Then into the sink for an ice bath down to 70-75F. When mixed with the top off water in the fermenter,I can easilly get the wort down to 64F or lower.

I was thinking that or would a larger cooler on the ground work easier? I mean were hauling around 5 gallons. Little heavy for me. Next time could I put the bucket in a ice cooler and pull at the right temp, put in my yeast, and call it good?

Thank you so much for the help

Also how long, in case, can I wait to put my yeast in? Incase I should have a high temp problem again.

What I meant to convey is that I do it in the brew kettle,since I do hop additions,in this case,for flavor & aroma with plain DME in the boil. The cooper's can gets added at flame out,stired to completely mix,then covered & steeped. This is a 2.5-3.5 gallon partial boil,so it's not as heavy. The BK will fit in the sink for the ice bath. With the wat you're brewingit,boil the water,then add the sugar/brew enhancer & stir to mix. Take it off the heat,& thoroughly mix in the Cooper's can. Then chill in ice bath as described down to 70-75F.
With sanitized fermenter in the place it's going to sit,strain chilled wort into fermenter,top off with cold water. Stir roughly for 5 minutes to mix top off & wort. Then take hydrometer sample,pitch yeast,& seal'er up.

What I meant to convey is that I do it in the brew kettle,since I do hop additions,in this case,for flavor & aroma with plain DME in the boil. The cooper's can gets added at flame out,stired to completely mix,then covered & steeped. This is a 2.5-3.5 gallon partial boil,so it's not as heavy. The BK will fit in the sink for the ice bath. With the wat you're brewingit,boil the water,then add the sugar/brew enhancer & stir to mix. Take it off the heat,& thoroughly mix in the Cooper's can. Then chill in ice bath as described down to 70-75F.
With sanitized fermenter in the place it's going to sit,strain chilled wort into fermenter,top off with cold water. Stir roughly for 5 minutes to mix top off & wort. Then take hydrometer sample,pitch yeast,& seal'er up.

that is a great way to do it. Instead of going from stove into the bucket as the instructions on the can say i'll place it in the sink with ice and water.

After a few batches of doing it the easy way i'll try an actual kit perhaps. If i make something drinkable with a beer taste i'll be pretty darn pleased!

I have a Brewers Best kit. Primary with a Secondary bucket for bottling. Per instructions it says check after 4 days and 6 days to ensure its done fermenting before bottling. Doesn't say anything about a secondary. Since my kit came with a racking cane I think the best thing to do is rack it into the secondary and let it sit for a couple more days before bottling. I a leaving for a week on April 10th so I'd like to have it in the bottle before then and conditioning before being put in the fridge. I dont see a problem with that at all.

Thanks HBT for all the great info! :rockin:

Those kit instructions time tables are def too short. Primary will take more like 3 weeks,rather than 4-6 days. Even my Cooper's based batches take 3 weeks to finish & settle out clear. Even ones with what I call a micro mash added.

Those kit instructions time tables are def too short. Primary will take more like 3 weeks,rather than 4-6 days. Even my Cooper's based batches take 3 weeks to finish & settle out clear. Even ones with what I call a micro mash added.

or slightly misty

Ohhh the hours you wait to see fermentation on your first batch. Thank you for the help yesterday HBT.

Room is at about 60-65 degrees. This evening maybe i'll turn it up closer to 70 or place a space heater by it to encourage it to get going if I don't see any activity.

Has anyone brewed the Coopers Draught? Thoughts? What is commercially comparable to?

Latest posts

Back