No spigot...what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romafluxe

Reaction score
Hi there.
I'm fermenting 23 litres of beer right now, ready to bottle in 2 days or so, and I can't find the spigot that goes with my bottling bucket! As I don't live near a brewing store and can't seem to find one anywhere else, I'll have to order a new spigot online - delivery will take at least a week.

What should I do? Can I bottle the beer from the fermentation bucket or shall I cork the hole in the bottling bucket and siphon from there after adding the priming sugar? Or what if I wait a week for the new spigot to arrive...will the beer spoil?? As you can tell, I'm new to this; any advice is much appreciated! Thanks and cheers!

Use your racking cane/autosiphion and your bottle filler ......or just wait.

I vote for waiting.
A week won't hurt the beer.
You will bottle as usual.
You will find the lost spigot one day before the replacement arrives.

order another bucket with a spigot and an extra spigot...two buckets can make life twice as easy. There will come a day when you REALLY need that extra bucket. In the mean time, you can use it to store stuff like spigots that get lost, hoses, funnels, caps...whatever!

Thanks guys. I've just ordered a replacement (should be here in the next week)...will leave beer in the fermentor until then.
Thanks again for the quick advice!

order another bucket with a spigot and an extra spigot...two buckets can make life twice as easy. There will come a day when you REALLY need that extra bucket. In the mean time, you can use it to store stuff like spigots that get lost, hoses, funnels, caps...whatever!

I was gonna say that I wholeheartedly agree with all of the above posts. But then this one came up. This is definitely what you should do.

I vote for waiting.
A week won't hurt the beer.
You will bottle as usual.
You will find the lost spigot one day before the replacement arrives.

I vote for waiting too. It won't hurt your beer to sit in the fermenter for another month or 2, maybe not even if you leave it for 6 months as long as you keep the airlock filled. :mug:

It might even improve your beer to let it sit longer to bottle. Many people bottle beer too early because the instructions say to. Throw out the instructions. My beers sit in the fermenter at least 3 weeks so the yeast clean up and settle out. Once the majority of the yeast settles out the beer begins to mature in the fermenter much like it would in bottles.

Latest posts

Back