No sparge method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettdow00

Reaction score
I'm wanting to try a few batches without sparging. I use Beersmith and pretty much all of the recipes are calling to sparge with 5 gallons or so. How would I go about adjusting my brew day? I'm thinking of just mashing out at around the temp that I typically sparge with but want to avoid boiling more water, etc. to add at the end of the mash. I don't know how it would effect the OG, or anything else with changing. Any insight? I know there are some no sparge methods but not really sure how it is different from mashing out at the temp to release the sugars vs sparging with the same temp.

I'm not really sure what you are asking. But, with a no sparge you are moving the wort directly to the BK quickly so you don't have to do a Mash Out which is a procedure to raise the temperature to stop enzymatic action. This is a step done when you are doing an hour long fly sparge. It keeps the character of the beer from changing as the temperature of the wort falls over that hour.

Sparging temperature is not critical, you are just rinsing sugars out of the grain.

So I would say, do your full volume mash, drain and start the boil. No added heat necessary.

Back