No signs of life from rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jCOSbrew

Reaction score
planted 4 rhizomes a month ago. The nugget and chinook look good, but no signs of life from 2 cascade rhizomes. All are planted in 5 gal buckets with same water, sun, etc.

Should I try to get a couple late rhizomes and replant or wait it out?

Assuming the ground hasn't been cold they probably aren't viable. I would say try to grab 2 more for cheap, if nothing else as replacements (or additions) to the 2 cascade that are questionable.

If it's any consolation, I planted 7 rhizomes this years and 3 of them took 6 weeks to show any growth. Glacier, Sterling, and Mt. Hood took more than a month while my 2 Cascade and 2 Nugget were growing in 2 weeks or so.

I dug the Mt. Hood out of the ground to check on it. I ended up loosening the dirt around it, replanting it, and it still grew.

The most important part of getting them started is making sure the soil is well drained, and water is reaching the rhizome.

I planted 10 rhizomes in early April. 8 came up within two weeks. The other 2 came up three days ago. These were Williamette.

My Sterling and Mt. Hood came up quickly. How far down did you plant them? More than an inch or two could cause them issues and delay their arrival. With my Williamette, I carefully dug around them and checked them about 4 week in. I saw white "eyes" so I just covered them back up and 2-3 weeks later three bines have pushed through.

I had to wait 6 weeks to see anything from one of mine and finally saw some growth 5 feet away in the mist of my herbs

I planed 2 Cascade, 2 Centennial & 2 Nugget about 4 weeks ago.....got nothing either. Not going to get concerned till about the 6 week mark.

I planted two cascade about 5 weeks ago and they just started coming up. These weren't started in containers just planted directly in the ground.

I would dig it up and buy a hop start from arrowhead or a hop crown from great lakes. I did 2 cascade rhizomes, one broke ground after 2 weeks, the other never really did. I dug it up, no roots or shoots, so I ordered a hop start from arrowhead and it is in the pot now.

Yeah, I am having some trouble with mine. I planted them all a little too deep, 9-10", which caused problems. I dug them up, except for the Mt. Hood which I can't find, and replanted them closer to the surface. The willamette looks like a stick which isn't promising. The goldings and the cascade had some root action going so I'm hoping moving them closer to the surface will help out.

Thanks for the feedback.
All rhizomes were planted in 5 gal buckets in a mound 1-2" below the surface.

The arrowhead hop starts were out of stock so I went ahead and ordered a few rhizomes on sale from nikobrew as a backup plan.

I planted 2 centennial and 2 chinook a little over 3 weeks ago. One of the centennials is about 3 inches tall, and one of the chinook is showing a little life. The other 2 haven't broken ground at all yet. I'll have to disturb the dirt and check on em soon too I suppose.

I planted 2 cascade, 2 glacier, 2 willamette and 2 columbus 1" deep in early April. The glacier and one willamette had shoots very fast, while the others did nothing. This past week I figured the ones that didn't show shoot didn't make it due to poor drainage. But this weekend I notice that both columbus and a cascade had shoots.

I am curious to know if anyone dug a rhizome up that has shown no sign of life after being in the ground for 5-6 weeks what it looked like??? No roots/buds? Moldy??

My cascade rhizomes now have small shoots but it took a full 6 weeks. Some of the other varieties I planted took off much sooner.

I dug up a Nugget rhizome that wasn't growing and it just starting show some small roots starting. I think it's just taking it's time to get started.

I am curious to know if anyone dug a rhizome up that has shown no sign of life after being in the ground for 5-6 weeks what it looked like??? No roots/buds? Moldy??

I dug up 2 Williamette rhizomes after 4-5 weeks, actually I dug around them and decided to leave them in. They had white eyes and roots. I covered them back up and a couple weeks later they broke ground. I checked them this past weekend and there are about 6 or 7 bines breaking ground. ALL my other 4 varieties are 2-5 feet and climbing rope. I guess some rhizomes just take there damned good time to pop up?!? Anyhow, I planted 10 rhizomes and I believe all have shot up bines now. :mug:

Is it odd for first years to only be about 6 inches tall for this time of year?

I have 4 first years and only one of them is over 6 inches. 2 of the others are about 2 inches and the last one hasn't broken ground. Planted them about a month ago. Probably have to check on the one who hasn't broken ground yet.

To expand on my earlier post: Patience is necessary. I got nothing out from a few rhizomes after 5 weeks. I dug them up and put them in a different part of my yard, thinking that those dry, sad looking sticks may still have life, but had no real expectations. After a few more weeks of no growth, I caved in and ordered crowns from Great Lakes Hops. On a side note, Great Lakes Hops is a fantastic company. Super healthy plants that are shooting up my ropes already.

Anyway, you can probably guess what happened next... Everything I planted, including the dead looking rhizomes, are growing, and growing fast. I made room and planned for 4-5 rhizomes, and am now dealing with 8. Hop rhizomes are much hardier than I imagined.

I'm growing Sterling, Nugget x2, Cascade x2, Mt. Hood, Galena, and Glacier.

Thanks for the tip. I have two Columbus and a Chinook that have been in the ground about three weeks. I planted them in small hills about an inch deep and mulched. I water almost daily. I'll just have to be patient, I guess.

I also bought 8 plants this year, and 5 weeks after planting the last one finally popped through, I thought he was dead, but I think I just planted him a bit deep, or possibly inverted?

Latest posts

Back