no rinse and other questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sross

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a while now and I have been very vigilant with sanitation. I normally use no rinse sanitizer but have no time for it to dry so I end up thoroughly washing all of my equipment until there are no bubbles and or that slippery feeling. What seems odd though is that on the Brewing TV podcast (which is awesome) they gladly fill their carboys while there are bubbles and everything else. Is there a certain sanitizer that they are using that allows them to put wort and or beer in there without damaging the product? Having not to spend 30 to 40 minutes of my brew day getting wet and cleaning would be nice. I know this sounds like a noob question.

Apparently the foam from star san breaks down into something the yeast can use for their metabolic cycle. As to other no rinse sanitizers, you don't have to wait until they are dry... in fact, that almost defeats the purpose... if using iodophor for instance, just drain it away, give a quick shake... a little residual on the surface isn't going to hurt anything. I've used both iodophor and peracetic acid in the commercial setting, and standard practice is to go wet on them once they have drained the bulk of santi away

Yeah, what he said. If you are letting the no rinse sanitizer dry, then you are not using it properly. The foam you are seeing on that TV show is probably from Star San or a similar product. The foam won't affect your beer or your health in any way.

hurray! I am now going to use star san for everything and not be so crazy about rinsing the stuff off.

Back