No more whiskey we go home now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedge_87

Reaction score
Does anybody else her like the occasional glass of whiskey? If so what is your favorite? I'm not a big whiskey guy but I'm drinking some Jameson on the rocks right now and have no complaints.

image.jpg

I've literally never found a hard liquor that I can sip, obviously whiskey included. I will take the occasional shot with friends, but I just can't enjoy liquor. I make up for it with my love of beer though! :mug:

Love me some sipping whiskey. When my uncle comes up from tennessee he always brings a nalgene bottle of his road sipping whiskey Dickel. That stuff blows jameson out of the water.

http://www.georgedickel.com/

I'll have to look for that next time I'm in the mood for whiskey. I saw the Tennessee in your post and immediately thought you where going to start talking up jack. (Jack has it's own merits just not my favorite)

I enjoy whiskey (and whisky).
For Scotch Laphroaig and Balvenie are my favorites, but I'll also take a Johnny Walker Black.
Rye whiskey favorites are Bulleit Rye and Sazerac.
Bourbons depend on the mood. My go to is Bulleit. But I recently discovered Buffalo Trace and love it.
When I want something special in bourbon (that is still quite affordable) its 1792, or Wild Turkey Rare Breed.
In the low price point of bourbons I recently discovered Rebel Yell as a nice little inexpensive pleasure--it surprised me.

For the guys who said they can't sip whiskey, try it different ways. With Scotch I may add a small touch of water. Most bourbons I drink on the rocks. With some, like 1792 or even a Knob Hill, straight is fine. Though it is almost a heresy for some to pour scotch on ice, I find few things go as well as Johnny Walker Black on the rocks.

If you want the cold of the ice without the watering down as it melts use the whiskey stones. They are cubes of granite that you freeze and drop into the glass. For the whiskey that needs chill and can use a bit of water I have molds that make ice balls. One large ball fills most of the glass and the smaller surface area melts slower but really chills the bourbon. Do it this way and in time you'll come to appreciate it.

I've found a very smooth whiskey great for the novice is Bulleit Bourbon (their rye is very smooth also). They are also quite affordable.

Edit: Ok! Now I have to get up and go get a Buffalo Trace.

I've found a very smooth whiskey great for the novice is Bulleit Bourbon (their rye is very smooth also). They are also quite affordable.

I'll have to keep an eye out for this. I've been wanting to learn more about whiskey and bourbon, but having a difficult time of it. A friend at work told me about an app called Distiller. Right now it's only on iphone/iPad but I got to use it last week at a restaurant and tried Four Roses Small Batch and was pleasantly surprised. Other than that, I have Jameson and New Holland's Beer Barrel Bourbon at home.

I used to have a severe reaction to any strong liquor. It burned so bad and made my throat clench and made my stomach want to throw up. I could barely sip the tiniest sip.

But now I've tried a few different things the past couple of years and I enjoy a nice sip of bourbon once in a while. I think the thing that got me going was easing into it with cheap Schnapps, Cactus Juice, 100 Proof Cinnamon Schnapps, and then just sipping a bottle of New Holland's Beer Barrel Bourbon.

BBB is barrel aged in barrels that used to have their Dragon's Milk Stout in it, which used to have some kind of bourbon before that. It was much smoother than the garbage I had bought for adding bourbon to my own stout. I had an inkling I could enjoy a strong drink while at a homebrew party a while back and the host busted out some expensive bourbon. I told him he was wasting it on me, but he poured it anyway, and although I still could not appreciate it for what it was, I did find out that not all hard liquor is nasty and caused a bad reaction.

I will probably never get to the point where i can appreciate a good drink, but at least I feel confident that I can try one if I want to.

I have to second (or third?) the love for Bulleit. I recently discovered it in the wet-county-next-door's package store, and am now adding it to the roster of bourbons for my wedding. It's got mild caramel and slight vanilla notes, and carefully balanced so that it doesn't feel like an outboard motor going down your throat. From what I read, it's definitely in the "Great Value" category of bourbons and not necessarily world-class, but like I said, I have a wedding to pay for. I can't go blowing money on pricey bourbon. So for now, Bulleit more than does the trick.

Rebecca Creek-- Texas whiskey from the San Antonio area. From what I understand, it's relatively (I.e. a few years) old. I can enjoy it neat, but I prefer drinks cold and food hot, so I toss some rocks in.

Hell, it's smooth enough that my wife will steal a sip.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My favorite is three fingers of Jameson, neat. I also haven't really tried a whole lot, so i am interested to see what others say so that I can get ideas.

Not trying to thread jack but I want a nice single malt whiskey that I can keep on hand. I would like it to be a nice treat but not something that is going to force me to sell my car to buy. Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind spending a couple hundred dollars if it was worth it.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Homer, that's called getting drunk. Everybody has that reaction.

I'll have to look for this Rebecca Creek.

I think they only distribute in Texas right now. Are you from around these parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My favorite is three fingers of Jameson, neat. I also haven't really tried a whole lot, so i am interested to see what others say so that I can get ideas.

Not trying to thread jack but I want a nice single malt whiskey that I can keep on hand. I would like it to be a nice treat but not something that is going to force me to sell my car to buy. Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind spending a couple hundred dollars if it was worth it.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

If you want something in a very good Scotch and are willing to pay two hundred dollars or so, then you can't go wrong with Balvenie 21. I have seen it locally for just over $200. I've never had that much to shell out, but have had samples and if I could afford it I'd gladly pay it. You can get younger Balvenies that are good too, and considerably cheaper. They are not as peaty as Laphroaig, but are still very good and smooth.

Ahh. Good scotch whisky is certainly another of lifes pleasures.

While I've found the Balvenie very good, my go to is Dawhinnie on the more affordable scale.

I've found the older it is the smoother it is. If you let the bottle or glass breath a bit, it gets better still. Some take a bit of water to really open up.

I have a bottle of 29? yr. old Glenfarclas that I haven't cracked yet. Saving that one.

I get a hankering for bourbon once and a while. I usually just go with Makers with a bit of ice.

Classic Ad campaign from the early 1970's: "I like my girls blonde and my Johnnie Walker Red" -Joe Namath
3668d2fa4c6bd727b11ac58e1980006b546ca2c7c04268dc877db5af20bd620f.jpg

Sipping one right now...a Red, that is.

I've grown to appreciate the sweet caramel notes of bourbon. I enjoy a bottle a local guy makes, Oregon spirits CW Irwin. For whiskey I like Pendleton. Scotch is such a treat buy I rarely drink it, more of a bourbon man....Buy anything with Glen in it.

"whiskey's gone, but I ain't leaving, gotta be a bottle in the back", love that song...

Does anybody else her like the occasional glass of whiskey? If so what is your favorite? I'm not a big whiskey guy but I'm drinking some Jameson on the rocks right now and have no complaints.

Love your movie reference...

I know, I know. I'm gonna use good judgement. I haven't lost my temper in forty years, but pilgrim you caused a lot of trouble this morning, might have got somebody killed... and somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't, I won't. The *hell* I won't!

If I had any moral turpitude, I'd shower instead of drinking...

High west out of Utah makes some damn good whiskey. So does dry fly in Spokane.

What can I say. I'm a john Wayne guy. Whenever I pull up on a job site I always ask the guys "hey where is the whiskey." ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393043191.024819.jpg
I also like some knob creek every once in a while.

McClintock has so many good quotes.

I have a touch of hangover...

I'm sorry I remember you from when you were nice people...

I'm not much for the American or Canadian whiskys and their derivatives. Now Irish Whiskey and Scotch I'm all about. I love Redbreast on the Irish end, and I'm more into the peaty Islay single malts when it comes to Scotch. Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Lagavulin 16 probably my faves. But Balvenie DoubleWood is good too (both 12 and 17) when I don't want a peat bomb. Very few single malts I don't enjoy though.

Laphroaig (quarter cask) - by far. For Irish Whiskey, Powers.

I'm surprised at the Laphroiag love here, don't usually see that.

Oh yes, Lagavulin 16, that's a peat-head (as opposed to hophead?) favorite. But that's a whiskey for when I'm feeling feisty (or somewhere nice and on someone else's dime), otherwise it's a relaxing bourbon for me.

I like bourbon. I like anything Wild Turkey makes, especially their 101, Rare Breed, or Russell's Reserve. WT always has a nice peppery bite to it. I like Michter's too.

The best whiskey I've ever had I do not remember the name. :drunk:

No, seriously I knew I should have at least saved an empty bottle because it was an unfamiliar name that I knew I wouldn't remember. Stupid huh..

I was on my way back to the states after a final deployment in Iraq. Our airliner stopped at an airport in Ireland to refuel. I walked into the Tax Free store. A lady asked if I needed help and I told her I was looking for some good scotch.. She said to me this is Ireland, you don't buy scotch in Ireland, and she proceeded to give me a sample of Irish whiskey.

I've never been much of a whiskey fan but this stuff she gave me was nothing like any Irish whiskey I'd ever tasted. It was light, smooth, just a tint of smokiness to it. The smokiness was amazing.

I bought two bottles and they didn't last a year. Even my wife, who doesn't drink hardly ever liked it. Just very smooth and the faintest tint of smokiness made it irresitable..

Anybody know what it's called? I looked in liquor stores big and small after I ran out of the stuff, nobody carried it.

I guess it will remain mystery unless I have the opportunity to return to Ireland.

Bourbon is my go to hard liquor. Dickles is good with a little ice melt, otherwise it's too hot.

For high end my go to is Blanton's, at about $50 a bottle. Bookers is right up there too but I always seem to magically grab the Blanton's instead.

Unless we're talking cream of the crop, then it's 23 yr pappy van winkle riding in at $200+ a bottle. Yes, it is absolutely worth that price. I paid $75 for a shot and while I wouldn't do it again, I don't regret it at all. But you won't find that anywhere. I've heard the 12yr WL Weller is a good sub for old rip van winkle (which is the same distillery as pappy but aged less). Haven't had the chance to try that yet.

Midrange my go to is basil Hayden's at $30 per bottle.

Low end is buffalo trace, but bulliet is pretty good as well.

BTW bourbons aren't single malt whiskeys so whoever was looking for that exclusively...you're missing out.

Pretty much all I drink besides beer is whiskey "neat". Favorites are Balvenie and Jameson. Others are Glenlivet, Chivas Regal and Glenfiddich. Surprisingly, CostCo has a "Kirkland" brand that's 103 proof and very smooth. Another one I like is JB Devils Cut.

Unless we're talking cream of the crop, then it's 23 yr pappy van winkle riding in at $200+ a bottle. Yes, it is absolutely worth that price. I paid $75 for a shot and while I wouldn't do it again, I don't regret it at all. But you won't find that anywhere. I've heard the 12yr WL Weller is a good sub for old rip van winkle (which is the same distillery as pappy but aged less). Haven't had the chance to try that yet.

My local whiskey bar down the street just got all the pappy van winkles in but at $175-230 a shot I really can't justify it.

Oh man.
I was pretty much weaned on Scotch; so that's me wee dram o' choice.
I've lost track of all the different ones I've tried, but I've settled into, in no particular order,
Jura, Balvinie, Aberlour, & most especially Auchentoshan 3 wood.
Not a fan of blended whiskys at all.

I do, however, fancy a good Rye now & again.
I would recommend, if you are ever in the Mid-Atlantic region, to try & find a bottle of Catoctin Creek.
A good, smooth sippin' whiskey

It's as close to uisge beatha as we come in this country.

Bourbon is my go to hard liquor. Dickles is good with a little ice melt, otherwise it's too hot.

For high end my go to is Blanton's, at about $50 a bottle. Bookers is right up there too but I always seem to magically grab the Blanton's instead.

Midrange my go to is basil Hayden's at $30 per bottle.

Low end is buffalo trace, but bulliet is pretty good as well.

BTW bourbons aren't single malt whiskeys so whoever was looking for that exclusively...you're missing out.

+1 to Booker's and Weller. Both great and reasonably priced. Knob Creek is my "every day" go-to though.

The best whiskey I've ever had I do not remember the name. :drunk:

No, seriously I knew I should have at least saved an empty bottle because it was an unfamiliar name that I knew I wouldn't remember. Stupid huh..

I was on my way back to the states after a final deployment in Iraq. Our airliner stopped at an airport in Ireland to refuel. I walked into the Tax Free store. A lady asked if I needed help and I told her I was looking for some good scotch.. She said to me this is Ireland, you don't buy scotch in Ireland, and she proceeded to give me a sample of Irish whiskey.

I've never been much of a whiskey fan but this stuff she gave me was nothing like any Irish whiskey I'd ever tasted. It was light, smooth, just a tint of smokiness to it. The smokiness was amazing.

I bought two bottles and they didn't last a year. Even my wife, who doesn't drink hardly ever liked it. Just very smooth and the faintest tint of smokiness made it irresitable..

Anybody know what it's called? I looked in liquor stores big and small after I ran out of the stuff, nobody carried it.

I guess it will remain mystery unless I have the opportunity to return to Ireland.

See if it's on this list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_whisky_brands#Irish_whiskey

Latest posts

Back