No malt liquor threads?/:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitesheperd

Reaction score
Is malt liquor discussion allowed on here..? I found out that distilled alcohol is not allowed lol. But I was wanting to make a small experiment batch of malt liquor.. To experiment get fresh strawberries for one gallon and get an SG for 5% and ferment dry then prime sugar it and bottle carbonate, then add k meta to prevent anymore fermentation then add more Ugarit to sweeten it up.. Problem is after opening a carbonated bottled then adding sugar I don't want it to go flat.. I don't have a keg so.. Do y'all think this would work tho..?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

We don't really have "malt liquor" in Canada... but my understanding is that it's just some made-up post-prohibition term for beer over 5%.

Essentially, most of the beer people make on here falls under the "malt liquor" category.

Wiki agrees with the above description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malt_liquor

I am drinking a Schlitz Malt Liquor VSL 8.5% now....I would be happy to talk ML brewing...

I'd guess you'll find a number of recipes on here for Imperial Pilsner, which I'd say is pretty much craft beer's answer to Malt Liquor. One of these days I'm probably going to take a whack at a true down and dirty malt liquor, just to do it. Probably 60% corn or rice, 40% 6 row, probably hit it with some extra amylase enzymes to get it nice and dry, target maybe 7-7.5% ABV, and do it nice and fast, probably a little on the warm side for a lager yeast, skip the actual lagering, and bottle it. Needless to say, I'll be doing this as a 1 gallon batch so I don't have 5 gallons of it.

Micky's is 5.6%ABV. It pairs nice with a bag of Doritos. I've considered making one... but it seems to taste best out of a brown paper bag. ;)

There is a home brew recipe of Daddy Little Helper that the BN did.
That might be a starting point for a malt liquor.

Okay I guess it would be considered a "fruity malt liquor" lol.. Like a wine cooler.. Like a Smirnoff. But Smirnoff is made with fruits, vodka and carbonation

Monday I will make a batch if it tho, I'll probably use a wine yeast.. A fruity wine yeast which is Lalvin 71B and I've used many times making fruity wines and am please with it. I guess I'll make the alcohol like 7%? I'm going to make it for my wife and mom mainly.. Because my wife doesn't drink beer and my mom rarely does..

Here is my own personal opinion of the difference between a Malt Liquor and a tripple, double, or Imperial ____ , or barleywine.

Malt Liquor is defined as a poor quality, lousy tasting, corn/rice and barley beverage with high alcohol and sold for a sum of money to make it extremely affordable to anyone who intends to consume the beverage with the intention of getting as drunk as possible as quickly as possible and most importantly - as cheaply as possible.

On the other hand, there are other beverages that happen to have a high alcohol content that are made primarily with barley. These are designed to display superior flavor characteristics that highlight the very finest flavor qualities that can be portrayed when making a beverage brewed from generous portions of the finest malted barleys, hops, and the care of yeast selection coupled with specific brewing environments and controls. When properly aged and conditioned these beverages are a work of art that the consumer treats like a special occasion and will sip on slowly and with reverence for the craftsmanship displayed. These brews are sometimes described as barleywines, double ___, triple ____, Imperial _____ , and so on. They are not to be confused with Malt Liquors simply because they have an alcohol content by volume as high as Malt Liquors.

Lol, that is my definition of the difference.

I guess you can talk about both on here (; I didn't know it was different from beverage and liquor but makes since.. The malt liquor is like a heavy beer almost, and a malt beverage is like a fruity out in the sun girly beer (;

Its tomorrow. Brew a malt liquor.

Fortunately, Malt Liquor is easy to make. Here is a recipe that should have you on the right path.

5 gallon recipe:
2lbs Corn - 2 boxes of grits cooked and allowed to cool and turn to a big gel clump the shape of the container you cooked it in.

4lbs Rice - Buy the 4lb bag of rice from Save-a-lot. Cook it all up at once just like you did the grits above.

6lbs of malted barley - Mash as normal, except you dump in the rice and grits from above during the mash.

Boil: Be sure to add at least 3lbs of sugar to boost the alcohol. Maybe more. As long as your OG is better than 1.080 you are golden.

Hops: Just a touch of something at the start of the boil. Just about anything will do. Just be sure you use at least 0.5oz and not more than 1.5 oz.

Yeast: Just about anything will do. Just toss some in there.

Ferment in a controlled environment between 60F-90F for 1 week. Bottle once the gravity hasn't changed for at least two days.

Bottle condition for 1-2 weeks and enjoy.

Impress your friends with your Malt Liquor.
Cheers :mug:

Back