No Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyc88

Reaction score
I brewed a Porter on Tuesday evening, by Wednesday morning there was a small thin layer of Krausen, much smaller than i'm used to seeing as they usually blow up and fill the rest of the carboy. This was probably 2-3 inches thick on the top.

Now today, the Krausen has disappeared and it seems to be finishing out as the beer is cleaning up and the yeast/sediment is falling to the bottom. It is still going a little bit while it cleans up so I didn't want to take a gravity reading yet, but this seems really fast and unusual. Anyone with any thoughts?

Recipe: Starter of WLP007 for 24 hours, no stirplate

10.8 lbs 2 row breiss
1 lb roasted grain
12 oz caramel 60
4 oz chocolate

OG of 1.054 ~ 5.6 gallons of wort.

What temperature did the wort reach during the fermentation? If it was warm it would be faster but not necessarily better. I like mid sixties for most ales.

It does not sound like much to worry about. Wait about 10 - 14 days and take gravity readings.

What temperature did the wort reach during the fermentation? If it was warm it would be faster but not necessarily better. I like mid sixties for most ales.

It does not sound like much to worry about. Wait about 10 - 14 days and take gravity readings.

Probably a high of 70-71, with an average around 68. I'm just blown away by how little krausen there was and how clean it looks now.

Why wait so long if it seems to be finished and looks clean? I will leave it in there anyways for about that amount of time but why not take a gravity reading sooner so if it needs yeast nutrient or something I know sooner?

Back