No kegerator anymore.. and I have a full keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
Okay guys I have a dilemma. I had my kegerator set up and i kegged for the first time, and I just carbed with priming sugar in the keg for about 2 weeks. Long story short, something personal came up and I will be moving soon and I have a full 5 gal keg of the ESB I brewed and a kegerator will be out of the question for quite some time. What do I do now? Is there any way I can bottle this?

But you can def bottle it. I fill bottles all the time with my kegerator. Short tubing section off the faucet and slow flow is key

Sent from myPhone

So, if I'm understanding correctly, your brew is pretty much carbed up naturally in the keg, but now you need to bottle it and will need to do so warm. Does that pretty much sum up the state of things?

Bottling warm, carbed beer is going to be a challenge. Rather than have to fight that, I would probably de-carb the keg and once the beer is flat, re-prime and bottle.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, your brew is pretty much carbed up naturally in the keg, but now you need to bottle it and will need to do so warm. Does that pretty much sum up the state of things?

Bottling warm, carbed beer is going to be a challenge. Rather than have to fight that, I would probably de-carb the keg and once the beer is flat, re-prime and bottle.

So decarb the keg and then just add some more priming sugar like a regular bottling day?

If you can get the keg chilled adequately (either in your kegerator or in your fridge), you can bottle it pretty easily using this method. This is how I bottle carbonated beer from the keg. It also helps to chill the bottles first in the freezer.

Definitely easier to do if you can chill the keg and bottle while it is carbed. OP, do you have CO2 available or is that with the kegorator?

Well, then, as the others have suggested, if you can get the keg cold, you can bottle from it. You can use a picnic tap with a bottling wand (plunger removed) or racking cane inserted in the nozzle.

This hasn't been mentioned, but you can also do nothing. Take that keg and shove it in a closet somewhere until you can get another kegerator. It will keep almost indefinitely. In the meantime, brew another batch and bottle that.

Well, i could do that. I will decide over a nice ipa! thanks for your guys help I thought I might have been screwed.

Back